Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: threeoh
Booking to QYG allows you connect from any airport in Germany to any of the 5,600 DeutscheBahn train stations in Germany. For example, if you book a ticket ORD-FRA-QYG, you will fly ORD-FRA and then connect on DB with an open, unrestricted ticket good on any train to any destination in Germany. The ticket is valid the day you land and the following day.

In reverse, bookings from QYG allow you to originate at any DB station the day before or the day of your flight.

On most trains, including ICE, you can either pay a small fee for a seat reservation on a specific train or board any train and find an unassigned seat. Some trains such as Sprinter and night trains require a reservation and special supplement. F or J flights book into 1st class on the train and Y flights book into 2nd class.

Info from DB in English: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/service/buchung/flug/rail-and-fly-english.shtml

More info in PDF form: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahnintern/services/mobilitaet_service/rail_fly_airrail/2018/mdb_277126_20180809_reisendeninfo_railandfly_engli sch.pdf

Info on what rail services / bus transfers serve each airport, in German and English: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahnintern/services/mobilitaet_service/rail_fly_airrail/mdb_252625_20170719_flughafentransfer_railfly.pdf

You must collect a DB ticket before the train portion of your journey, either print at home or mobile ticket via http://www.rail-checkin.com/ or collect from any DB long-distance vending machine.

When booking on UA's site, enter QYG as your destination or origin. When booking on LH's site, start your booking to/from the gateway airport (FRA, MUC, etc.) and then click to add rail ticket on the final screen for EUR 34 each direction.

Separate but related program: Lufthansa Express Rail, direct connections from ~15 cities to FRA flights with protected connections, checked baggage service, and mileage earnings: https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/lufthansa-express-rail
Print Wikipost

Rail&fly with United in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Any recent experiences amongst United flyers with DB Rail&fly?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann
Any recent experiences amongst United flyers with DB Rail&fly?
I am trying to get it to work on united.com, but it won't quote me anything cheaper than an expensive H fare. I'm getting $5000 return from the US instead of $1300 without the rail and fly.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
I am trying to get it to work on united.com, but it won't quote me anything cheaper than an expensive H fare. I'm getting $5000 return from the US instead of $1300 without the rail and fly.
What dates and airports?

I picked some random dates March 21 - 25:

ORD-QYG: $1,762 r/t (W)
ORD-FRA: $1,670 r/t (W)

You can also try on Lufthansa's website. Instead of entering QYG you enter FRA (or MUC, etc.) and click to add rail ticket on the final screen for EUR 34 each direction.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
What dates and airports?

I picked some random dates March 21 - 25:

ORD-QYG: $1,762 r/t (W)
ORD-FRA: $1,670 r/t (W)
I'm trying YYZ. I get my same results with your dates. I tried a few other airports -- it doesn't seem to work properly from Canadian airports.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I tried searching but couldn't find an answer: is it possible to do a mileage award with QYG as destination? It doesn't seem to come up for me on united.com but wanted to check if anyone had been able to do it in the past.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrt88
I tried searching but couldn't find an answer: is it possible to do a mileage award with QYG as destination? It doesn't seem to come up for me on united.com but wanted to check if anyone had been able to do it in the past.
I don’t think so. Deutsche Bahn isn’t a MileagePlus partner; so, earning and redeeming miles on it wouldn’t be possible.

Now, if you have a MileagePlus award with Lufthansa, there’s the possibility of booking a Rail&fly after the fact, if you call Lufthansa after ticketing and get a helpful agent...
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:26 pm

Thanks a lot for the quick response!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the quick response!
One thing I do see on the website is an ability to book some Lufthansa Express Rail “flights” with miles. ZWS (Stuttgart Hbf), for example, does show as a possibility with miles. This doesn’t seem to work on the app.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

One thing I do see on the website is an ability to book some Lufthansa Express Rail “flights” with miles. ZWS (Stuttgart Hbf), for example, does show as a possibility with miles. This doesn’t seem to work on the app.
These count as LH flights, but I guess much like LX 'flights' from ZRH to ZDH they shouldn't be available for non M&M redemption. Could be that LH made them available since there are no longer any flights on these routes.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
These count as LH flights, but I guess much like LX 'flights' from ZRH to ZDH they shouldn't be available for non M&M redemption. Could be that LH made them available since there are no longer any flights on these routes.
LH flies to STR. They also partner with DB for the Express Rail “flights” out of ZWS.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

LH flies to STR. They also partner with DB for the Express Rail “flights” out of ZWS.
sure, a few a day ... let me rephrase ... since STR-FRA is down to 6 flights a day which does not serve many connections in FRA it is conceivable they made 2A out of ZWS available for partner redemption. QKL is also available with UA miles. Neither should be, really and ZRH-ZDH which is a similar situation is not available
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
ZDH seems to work as well. Even books into I (first class car perhaps?).

Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:27 am

Oh this is pretty interesting! Do you know if these are bookings for specific trains or in the background is it just QYG and you can get to/from anywhere with DB?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Oh this is pretty interesting! Do you know if these are bookings for specific trains or in the background is it just QYG and you can get to/from anywhere with DB?
With QYG, you can board any train in Germany. If you’re flying out of Frankfurt and have a QYG Rail coupon, you can initiate your journey anywhere in Germany. Conversely, if you’re flying into Frankfurt and have a follow on Rail coupon to QYG, you can take the train to anywhere in Germany. The Rail coupon is good the day before the flight and the day of the flight, if flying out of Frankfurt; it’s good the day of your arrival and the day after if flying into Frankfurt.
mrt88 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:03 pm

I think the trains to Stuttgart are through Lufthansa Express Rail, which is different than the QYG Rail&Fly program. With Express Rail, you can check your bags through, sit in a Lufthansa-only section of the train, your connection is protected in case of IRROPS, and you earn miles.

https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/lufthansa-express-rail

With QYG Rail&Fly you have an open-ended ticket to any DB station in Germany, but no reservations, no baggage service, etc.

On a separate note, I just added a wiki to this thread and put a few links to info on QYG and Lufthansa Express Rail.
onthesam and mrt88 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.