Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: threeoh
Booking to QYG allows you connect from any airport in Germany to any of the 5,600 DeutscheBahn train stations in Germany. For example, if you book a ticket ORD-FRA-QYG, you will fly ORD-FRA and then connect on DB with an open, unrestricted ticket good on any train to any destination in Germany. The ticket is valid the day you land and the following day.

In reverse, bookings from QYG allow you to originate at any DB station the day before or the day of your flight.

On most trains, including ICE, you can either pay a small fee for a seat reservation on a specific train or board any train and find an unassigned seat. Some trains such as Sprinter and night trains require a reservation and special supplement. F or J flights book into 1st class on the train and Y flights book into 2nd class.

Info from DB in English: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/service/buchung/flug/rail-and-fly-english.shtml

More info in PDF form: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahnintern/services/mobilitaet_service/rail_fly_airrail/2018/mdb_277126_20180809_reisendeninfo_railandfly_engli sch.pdf

Info on what rail services / bus transfers serve each airport, in German and English: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahnintern/services/mobilitaet_service/rail_fly_airrail/mdb_252625_20170719_flughafentransfer_railfly.pdf

You must collect a DB ticket before the train portion of your journey, either print at home or mobile ticket via http://www.rail-checkin.com/ or collect from any DB long-distance vending machine.

When booking on UA's site, enter QYG as your destination or origin. When booking on LH's site, start your booking to/from the gateway airport (FRA, MUC, etc.) and then click to add rail ticket on the final screen for EUR 34 each direction.

Separate but related program: Lufthansa Express Rail, direct connections from ~15 cities to FRA flights with protected connections, checked baggage service, and mileage earnings: https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/lufthansa-express-rail
Print Wikipost

Rail&fly with United in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
I think post # 27 answers this question.
Unfortunately it doesn't. It only states I should ignore the destination. My question was if QYG was indeed an actual destination or a generic code for a rail pass.

The implication is that if QYG is not a destination but a code for a pass, there is no way anyone could mistake the rail pass for only one specific destination.

On the other hand if QYG was an actual train station somewhere and it is used to signify the rail pass during booking and then should be ignored, it could be argued that confusion could arise at some point and the traveler could be limited to travel to QYD. Since QYD isnot a real destination this is not the case and the traveler need not worry about this possible confusion.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Zeug
Unfortunately it doesn't. It only states I should ignore the destination. My question was if QYG was indeed an actual destination or a generic code for a rail pass.

The implication is that if QYG is not a destination but a code for a pass, there is no way anyone could mistake the rail pass for only one specific destination.

On the other hand if QYG was an actual train station somewhere and it is used to signify the rail pass during booking and then should be ignored, it could be argued that confusion could arise at some point and the traveler could be limited to travel to QYD. Since QYD isnot a real destination this is not the case and the traveler need not worry about this possible confusion.
QYG is the IATA code for “Railway Germany.” Generic code and not a specific destination. Your Rail&fly ticket will get you to or from any Deutsche Bahn rail station in Germany.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by sannmann
QYG is the IATA code for “Railway Germany.” Generic code and not a specific destination. Your Rail&fly ticket will get you to or from any Deutsche Bahn rail station in Germany.
Exactly! Thank you ^
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:49 am

Thx for the info - worked well for me.

One question: any idea how to get the first class rail & fly ticket when flying Y? The united search automatically adds 2nd class (Y) as the rail ticket when flying Y?

I know I can upgrade to 1st class in paying the fare difference between full price second class and full price first class at the Deutsche Bahn counter, but is there another option?

Thank you
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Using US UA website, I plug in EWR-QRG for 11-15 JAN. The cheapest (also happens to be my desired) connection in FRA is $1260 round-trip in S fare. If just using EWR-FRA on the same date, the available K fare is $741. I'll try the German website to see any difference,
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
wow wished I would have known about this previously as I had booked FRA-Ord tickets but train tickets to Cologne to / from at the beginning. i know I paid more than 33 bucks.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schley
wow wished I would have known about this previously as I had booked FRA-Ord tickets but train tickets to Cologne to / from at the beginning. i know I paid more than 33 bucks.
Same here. I missed a non-refundable Sparpreis DB train last month because my United Flight from ORD to FRA was delayed arriving by an hour. That’s €70 I cannot get back.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by schley
Same here. I missed a non-refundable Sparpreis DB train last month because my United Flight from ORD to FRA was delayed arriving by an hour. That’s €70 I cannot get back.
Seriously!

I don't book the non-refundable tickets for just this reason, and I've booked plenty over the last few years.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
Seriously!

I don't book the non-refundable tickets for just this reason, and I've booked plenty over the last few years.
But, have you booked a ticket through the Rail&fly program? The potential savings here seems pretty substantial.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:49 pm

Slightly off topic:
but missing such a train due to a flight delay - wouldn’t that be something covered by the trip delay protection (or whatever its called) of most credit cards (chase etc.)?

edit: you also don’t lose the fare completely (assuming you have a delay). You can apply the value to another ticket/train that day and pay the difference. Mostly cheaper than wasting the ticket and buying a new one.

Last edited by noname83; Nov 7, 2017 at 2:05 pm
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
Seriously!

Joining in on the 'same here' train. I've booked long connections or non-refundable fares so many times. I could have save so much money and stress with this!
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:49 pm

Does the rail portion earn any miles or premier qualifications on United?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TObject
Does the rail portion earn any miles or premier qualifications on United?
no
TObject likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
But, have you booked a ticket through the Rail&fly program? The potential savings here seems pretty substantial.
I haven't, but I will certainly start doing this in the future. I've used the AirRail program before, where the DB train has an LH codeshare, but never this program.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Does anyone know how to put QYG into google flight alerts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.