Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will PQD waivers (MP credit cards) continue in 2018?

Old Oct 26, 17, 10:48 pm
MMU
Original Poster

This might be a silly question. I would like to know if the PQD qualification requirement be waived for Chase-branded MP credit cards in 2018?

This year was pretty difficult for me to meet the requirement. Had to do the equivalent of a PQD run which I now regret. The amount of cash rebate I would lose for directing $25k to an MP credit card (plus the annual fee) is likely less than the money wasted on a PQD run.
Old Oct 26, 17, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MMU View Post
I would like to know if the PQD qualification requirement be waived for Chase-branded MP credit cards in 2018?
I'm sure a lot of people would like to know, but I'm also sure that United won't tip their hand too early.
Old Oct 26, 17, 11:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MMU View Post
This might be a silly question. I would like to know if the PQD qualification requirement be waived for Chase-branded MP credit cards in 2018? ....
Last year, UA never announced, prior to the start of the year, the PDQ waiver was continuing for 2017. It was just observed.

Any word on 2017 requirements for 2018 elite status? Any program changes?

My guess, if the PQD waivers were coming away, UA would have announced already (or in the next few weeks). It will not go away without an announcement.
Old Oct 27, 17, 6:51 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
If the PDQ waiver goes away it would just be one more reason for me to stop using the Chase/UA card. When I hit 25K this year I switched to Costco/Citi for the cash back. I rarely get the UC passes without calling Chase and asking where they are and I seem to fly enough each year to make Silver so the 1 free checked bag and Group 2 are no real benefit to me.
Old Oct 27, 17, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
The only wrinkle: UA and Chase seem to be re-negotiating their overall MileagePlus deal. This according to some articles, as well as being mentioned in the Investor's teleconference.

IMO, there is a higher chance of some changes near term, though no idea if that would involve PQD waivers.
Old Oct 27, 17, 9:06 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
The only wrinkle: UA and Chase seem to be re-negotiating their overall MileagePlus deal. This according to some articles, as well as being mentioned in the Investor's teleconference.

IMO, there is a higher chance of some changes near term, though no idea if that would involve PQD waivers.
This.

UA is angry about the CSR right? I do the same as gene above. I put 25k on the UA Exp, and then put the rest on the CSR.
Old Jan 1, 18, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum Marriott Platinum
Anyone have any update on this?
Old Jan 1, 18, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by krentzie View Post
Anyone have any update on this?
I think it is safe to assume, in the absence of any announcement, that the PQD waiver will continue unchanged in 2018.
Old Jan 1, 18, 10:08 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
They have not updated the T&Cs at this stage, they refer to 2017. From the webpage (link provided): https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/qualify.aspx

Learn more about waivers and exemptions

Waiver for PQD requirement
  • In 2017, the PQD requirement is waived for Premier Silver, Premier Gold and Premier Platinum qualification if you meet one of the following criteria:
    • You spend at least $25,000 in Net Purchases during that calendar year on MileagePlus co-branded credit cards issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A.;
      OR
    • You hold a United MileagePlus Presidential PlusSM Card.Footnote *
    This PQD waiver does not apply for Premier 1K qualification.
  • If you use a military or diplomatic address (APO, DPO or FPO), you are exempt from the PQD requirement for all Premier levels, including Premier 1K.
Waiver for four-segment minimum

If you hold a MileagePlus Presidential Plus CardFootnote * or a United MileagePlus Club Card, you are exempt from the four-segment minimum as long as you are the primary Cardmember and your Credit Card account is in good standing at the time of qualification.
Old Jan 1, 18, 10:49 pm

FWIW mystatus.united.com has no mention of PQD waiver in its description of 2018 status qualifications, not even a star/link/footnote. While this may not be definitive, it does seem like they are hedging their bets.
Old Jan 1, 18, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 50k, WJ Gold, Alaska Gold, DL Silver
My mystatus notes that the PQD is waived for non US residents.
Old Jan 1, 18, 11:19 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
On the app, under your account is says "Credit Card spend PQD waiver: Not Met" although they could've just forgot to remove it from last year.
Old Jan 1, 18, 11:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Tblack15 View Post
This.

UA is angry about the CSR right? I do the same as gene above. I put 25k on the UA Exp, and then put the rest on the CSR.
Just curious how come UA would be angry because Chase pays them for the points? Or I guess cause UA is complaining the deal is very bad.
Old Jan 1, 18, 11:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Be careful being premature or expecting ever time to be in place 12:01AM 1st of January. In January 2017, it took a few days before all was in place
Any word on 2017 requirements for 2018 elite status? Any program changes? -- nothing on 3 January 2017 but did show up a day or two later

and in 2016, it was January 12th --- PQD credit card waiver - "no change" for 2016

So just give it time -- and as others have mentioned, it would be very surprising (IMO) for UA to end this without any warning. I'm not worrying but I have lifetime Gold
Aussienarelle and drewguy like this.
Old Jan 2, 18, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post

So just give it time -- and as others have mentioned, it would be very surprising (IMO) for UA to end this without any warning. I'm not worrying but I have lifetime Gold
Chase would have some issues too . . . I would cancel and want my annual fee refunded.
ErikStratton likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: