Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will PQD waivers (MP credit cards) continue in 2018?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will PQD waivers (MP credit cards) continue in 2018?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by gene2632
...I rarely get the UC passes without calling Chase and asking where they are and ...
I don't get physical UC passes anymore. They show up digitally now. Can I still give them to somebody else now?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
With the newest mystatus.united.com release the 2018 status page clearly refers to the PQD waiver, seem the annual uncertain is once again resolved. Pretty much the same time Jan 10,11 or 12.

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
I don't get physical UC passes anymore. They show up digitally now. Can I still give them to somebody else now?
Yes, just share the code or a screenshot
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Where do you see it on the webpage? I searched for "chase" or "waive" and found nothing. The only mention I can find on the UA site is the part that refers to last year
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Go to http://mystatus.united.com
Go to Year to Date
Select "See Chase spending"
Premier Qualifying Dollars
(U.S. residents only)
You can also fulfill this requirement by using your MileagePlus Chase card.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I guess you only see this if you actually have a chase card
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:59 pm

Can you show a screen shot of what it says? my parents have a chase MP card and they don't see it but they have no miles so far this year.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
Can you show a screen shot of what it says? my parents have a chase MP card and they don't see it but they have no miles so far this year.
The full Full text is quoted above

What's the concern? The waiver is clearly active and if meet the spend thresholds, things should be fine.
There is no indication of any changes this year.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:43 am

No further updates on the 2018 PQD waiver and it is not in writing for T&C even in the new updates today. Bonus was just upped from 40k to 50k with 3k spend (vs 2k just yesterday). For those at Chase I've spoken to, unless they list it in writing, 2017 will be the last year for PQD waivers. When you received an email in January and the Chase response was "it's safe to say...." that's nothing they can be held to. So I'd recommend more emails to Chase and United to be clear or get a more official response of clarification. Otherwise, be warned the waiver is gone.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Leemo
For those at Chase I've spoken to, unless they list it in writing, 2017 will be the last year for PQD waivers.
I find this extremely difficult to believe, given that the mystatus.united.com page lists progress toward the Chase spending for a PQD waiver, and presumably some people have already gotten status based upon it.

I find it much more likely that nobody at United has gotten around to updating the text than that they're planning a secret discontinuation of a program that's mentioned prominently on their website.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:59 am

The card just came out yesterday to public application. The program changed again 1 day later, and for someone (I) who works for said card company, understand if it isn't in writing they wont have legal reasons to support 2018 anymore. The United website operates independently and they may allow this PQD waiver thru year end 2018, but starting 2019 is the cycle you will see it. That's why I suggest more uproar to United who will pressure Chase to clarify specifics. Just like they changed the bonus up 10K overnight because of consumers. And if you think about it, the PQD waiver doesn't make sense for United, they want it to go away.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:16 pm

While it could go away in the future, what is happening now is no different than what has happened in the past. So attempting to extropolate today (either way) into the future is a risk exercise.. It has never been more than a year waiver and we have never know if next year the policy will still be in place but it is clears it is here this year.

Waiver for PQD requirement
  • In 2018, the PQD requirement is waived for Premier Silver, Premier Gold and Premier Platinum qualification if you meet one of the following criteria:
    • You spend at least $25,000 in Net Purchases during that calendar year on MileagePlus co-branded credit cards issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A.;
      OR
    • You hold a United MileagePlus Presidential PlusSM Card. footnote*
    This PQD waiver does not apply for Premier 1K qualification.
This would be a major change for UA to drop this "benefit" and a huge amount of pushback would occur, but we have 6 months before we will know.

The "cost' of the benefit lies mostly on UA (it grants status, not Chase) but it is part of the overall package relationship between customers, UA and Chase.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 2, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:28 pm

Thanks @WineCountryUA for locating that link - was having a very difficult time finding that through United. While Chase makes no mention of it, the critical component is that United considers that PQD exception still in writing on their part for 2018. Thank you! Now, if I sign up for this card and spend $25K before 2018 is over?
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:31 pm

... Now, if I sign up for this card and spend $25K before 2018 is over?
You will have spend $25K

To get status, you still need the PQMs and 4 UA segments (if not also waived).
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Note that the account summary on the United app still has: “Credit Card spend PQD waiver.”

Highly doubt that would still be there if there were not going to be a waiver this year.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
No further updates on the 2018 PQD waiver and it is not in writing for T&C even in the new updates today. Bonus was just upped from 40k to 50k with 3k spend (vs 2k just yesterday). For those at Chase I've spoken to, unless they list it in writing, 2017 will be the last year for PQD waivers. When you received an email in January and the Chase response was "it's safe to say...." that's nothing they can be held to. So I'd recommend more emails to Chase and United to be clear or get a more official response of clarification. Otherwise, be warned the waiver is gone.
IME, the waivers were always a UA thing and were never, ever written into the card terms or benefits. If you go back through these theeads, you’ll see plenty of debate as well into whether they will count going forward in year XX, but UA has always had this waiver going. As mentioned, clearly indicated in the mystatus site.

Theres also the Delta thing: the waivers are unlikely to go as long as they have it also.

On another note, my Select card, unavailable since well before PQD started, still count, and there were never any updated terms to include to include this benefit. My wife’s United TravelBank Card, not even technically a ‘MileagePlus’ card as indicated for the PQD waiver, also appears to count toward her waiver - at least based on the amount showing in her ‘spent’ area. So there’s that too.

If anything, my guess is they are not written into the terms for two reasons: first, since it is a benefit solely at UAs discretion and which Chase doesn’t have or want a claim to (or answer questions about) and also so UA/MileagePlus can go from year to year on and theoretically easily legally pull at any time - kind of like the Marriott status match which like this, goes year to year but realistically hasn’t had any changes since it’s inception a few years ago.

Just my $.02.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.