Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will PQD waivers (MP credit cards) continue in 2018?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will PQD waivers (MP credit cards) continue in 2018?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Just curious how come UA would be angry because Chase pays them for the points? Or I guess cause UA is complaining the deal is very bad.
Chase is trying to move more people onto another card.

It's true UA makes a good profit from the MP card, but if they're renegotiating the deal, this activity will be discussed.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:42 am

I sure would like to know before the first upcoming *A flight (so if the waiver is out, I can switch earnings to a different mileage program, to be able to earn *G). Anyone thinks they will post something specific in the next 7-10 days?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by br2k
I sure would like to know before the first upcoming *A flight (so if the waiver is out, I can switch earnings to a different mileage program, to be able to earn *G). Anyone thinks they will post something specific in the next 7-10 days?
Unlikely. This would be a big change and if anything there would be a transition period for existing holders.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
When I log into the UA app, under my account it states Presidential Plus PQD waiver: Eligible. Also, taping on “Important information about your account” I see: “The 2018 PQD requirement is waived for existing Presidential Plus Card members for levels through Premier Platinum”
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gusd
When I log into the UA app, under my account it states Presidential Plus PQD waiver: Eligible. Also, taping on “Important information about your account” I see: “The 2018 PQD requirement is waived for existing Presidential Plus Card members for levels through Premier Platinum”
For my account with Chase cards it mentions the PQD waiver but has no year.
However, it does flag the four segment requirement as waived.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by gusd
I saw the same, with 2018 in the sentence, and screenshotted it right away. :P

Without the PQD waiver, the Flex PQMs really don't make sense. They almost have to continue the waiver until the Pres Plus party ends. (And with them increasing the annual fee to $450 after grandfathering it for so long, instead of just making people switch to the Club card, they may not be planning to get rid of the Pres Plus card soon. Or maybe the annual fee thing was the first step in dismantling the Pres Plus. Who knows......)
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by UAzip
Without the PQD waiver, the Flex PQMs really don't make sense.
Well they would still make sense. Would just be less valuable. For example, you could accrue 10k FQM thru CC spend and fly 15k PQM at outrageous prices (maybe First). I wish us newbies could go back in time. Be thankful for what you've got!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:30 am

Still nothing? I've got a week to decide whether to credit to UA or another program (once I credit elsewhere, I am committed for the year, basically).

I'd prefer UA Plat. but any *G is better than none. Should I call MP? Would that mean anything?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:05 am

What’s odd to me is that both American and Delta don’t treat their waivers as temporary:
(Not yet allowed to post links, but a simple google search will confirm the above statement)

there are quirks to both (American doesn’t have a waiver so much as a trade - $25K for $3000 in EQD, and Delta just upped the spend requirement for their highest level to an insane $250K, up from $25K), but there’s no doubt they’re around as a valid status-seeking strategy.

unclear why United seems hell-bent on treating the waivers as a yearly gift for cardholders
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by Viggyfresh
unclear why United seems hell-bent on treating the waivers as a yearly gift for cardholders
Because it's hard for some people to spend $25,000 on one credit card when you consider opportunity cost (better earnings potential on the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Amex Platinum) and just plain personal finance.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:05 am

Wrote to MP CS, and got a reply.

We have been advised that the Chase spend waiver for 2018 remains the same as the 2017 version listed online. Our Website should be updated within the next few days.
Well, sounds good. Will leave OZ program qualification for another year, then.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:37 pm

Well, sounds good. Will leave OZ program qualification for another year, then.
Sweet!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Because it's hard for some people to spend $25,000 on one credit card when you consider opportunity cost (better earnings potential on the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Amex Platinum) and just plain personal finance.
i have two UA Chase cards. The $25k doesn’t need to all be on one card, but all UA cards combined

Glad to read the waiver is still in place for 2018.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same here. On Saturday, I posted an inquiry regarding the 2018 Chase credit card PQD spend waiver on United’s Facebook page.

This morning, I received the following response via Facebook Messenger:

Originally Posted by United on Facebook
Thanks kale73. We just received a response from our MileagePlus team and they did say the waiver also applies for 2018. ^MD
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:52 pm
MMU
Original Poster

Very cool. Thanks for sharing the good news!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.