Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Two itineraries, one trip and can't get them combined

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two itineraries, one trip and can't get them combined

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chavala
But it IS their policy to check bags through to another Star Alliance Carrier.
Yes, it will take extra time in ITH (it sometimes takes forever in DFW), but print out the policy from UA.com and insist.
the post you are responding to, in my intrepretation, was referring to protect the customer in case of a ‘misconnect’, not about bags. Of course agents can check a bag through (how easy the computer makes it is another question completely) on two separate UA reservations. But there is no policy I aware of that requires UA to protect you when you are late from a UA flight on one itinerary, causing you to miss another UA flight on a second one. I’ve only seen reports on here saying they have accommodated, but the point is, it’s not policy and not required. So OP could be SOL if they misconnect.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I’ve only seen reports on here saying they have accommodated, but the point is, it’s not policy and not required. So OP could be SOL if they misconnect.
+1. This is especially true for once-a-day flights where later connecting options are tough to construct. EWR-HKG nonstop leaves at 4:05pm. If you miss that, it's hard to find 'reasonable' options that don't involve overnighting in EWR -- you'd arrive too late for SFO/ORD-HKG on UA, so your only real options are EWR-DEL-HKG (which will require endorsing the ticket across to AI for DEL-HKG) or EWR-SFO-HKG (which would require endorsement onto SQ1, a pretty tough ask).

So unless you get an excellent agent who's willing to go the extra mile with *A partners, expect to be arriving a full day later (on EWR(-SFO)-HKG the next day). Even in the best case, don't expect to be arriving any earlier than ~12 hours late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.