Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017-2019 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Significant Premier Silver Benefits
  • Free E+ access (and for companion) at check-in
  • Eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrade (including a companion)
  • RDM earn rate a 7 x PQDs (vs GM @ 5x)
  • 500 mile minimum PQM on UA operated flights and some partners
  • Boarding Group 2 and priority check-in, priority security (also available to some credit card holders)
  • Bag allowance – +1x70 lbs (increased from 50 lbs 28 Sept 2018) (also some credit card holders get +1 or +2 x50lbs))
  • Reduced award change / cancellation fees
  • Access to expanded economy saver award inventory (also available to some credit card holders)
  • Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
  • Eligible for CPU on award flights if primary cardholder (no companions) of select MP credit cards

Related threads
United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

What would you pay to be Silver/Gold/Platinum/1k on UA

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous Threads
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2016 Consolidated]
Is Premier Silver worth it? [2014 - 2015]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017-2019 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:33 pm

$95 credit card = BG2, free checked bag, expanded award space, two lounge passes
$400 + afternoon of flying = BG2, free checked bag, expanded award space, E+, premier phone line, premier check-in line

So do you value premier lines plus E+ more or less than two lounge passes plus $300?

$600+ for an E+ subscription fyi so that's how United values that. You may value it differently.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: United silver, Marriott platinum, Southwest CP
I am $240 dollars short of silver due to using companion pass on Southwest this year. I am going to buy the economy plus subscription to put me at silver. My question is does my companion get BG 2 with me? And free checked bag?

Thanks
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by where 2 next
I am $240 dollars short of silver due to using companion pass on Southwest this year. I am going to buy the economy plus subscription to put me at silver. My question is does my companion get BG 2 with me? And free checked bag?
Yes to both.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by where 2 next
... question is does my companion get BG 2 with me? And free checked bag? ...
If on the same PNR, yes
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by hypermiler
Hi, here's my current situation for 2018 on United:

Year to date:
Premier qualifying miles†: 23,674
Premier qualifying segments†: 12.5
Premier qualifying dollars†: $2,650

Is it worth it to try to do a mileage run to get SIlver? Any advice on a good EOY mileage run? LAX is my home airport.

Thanks!
What are your typical destinations? Depending on where you fly, your CPU percentage could be 100% or 0% (or anywhere in between), and a high CPU % would be easily worth $400.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by threeoh
$95 credit card = BG2, free checked bag, expanded award space, two lounge passes
$400 + afternoon of flying = BG2, free checked bag, expanded award space, E+, premier phone line, premier check-in line

So do you value premier lines plus E+ more or less than two lounge passes plus $300?

$600+ for an E+ subscription fyi so that's how United values that. You may value it differently.
I'd add in "chance at an upgrade". Each year I've been Premier Silver, including this year, I have managed to get a few upgrades (I was 5/23 this year) so I think it should be listed as a possible benefit.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: UA Gold
I just got my first upgrade, IAD to LGA. Granted it was late on a Sunday. My direct flight got cancelled (thunderstorms all over the northeast) and I was auto-rebooked to a 6am departure the next morning, but a call to the premiere desk got me rebooked to LGA instead of EWR with a quick stop in IAD.

I do think my lowly Silver status got me to an agent quicker, and that agent was helpful in getting me home 3 hours late as opposed to the next day. And the cup of wine in the somewhat comfortable first class seat on an E175 from IAD to LGA was nice. Two things the credit card doesn't give me.

Would I put a high dollar value on it? No.
Was it nice? Yes.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by zspitzer
I do think my lowly Silver status got me to an agent quicker, and that agent was helpful in getting me home 3 hours late as opposed to the next day.
Would I put a high dollar value on it? No.
Was it nice? Yes.
Probably much quicker. In bad IRROPs, it can be hours quicker. I've also seen UA block a few seats for elites on flights during IRROPs, so you end up confirmed instead of standby. How much that's worth to you depends on where you fly and your personality, of course.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by prometa
Probably much quicker. In bad IRROPs, it can be hours quicker. I've also seen UA block a few seats for elites on flights during IRROPs, so you end up confirmed instead of standby. How much that's worth to you depends on where you fly and your personality, of course.
Not sure how bad the phones were last Sunday afternoon, but when I called in I had an agent on the phone in about a minute, and confirmed seats on the new flights (in E+) about 3 minutes after that. So, really happy with that status perk if the other option was 30 minutes on hold and ending up with a "standby, go to the airport and good luck" statement.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Achieving UA Silver on its own will not help toward UA Gold status next year.
Not entirely true. The 500 mile minimum PQM earnings per segment could be helpful for one who flies a number of <500 mile segments and would otherwise be short of the requisite 50K PQM for Premier Gold.

My current situation is a case in point. I requalified for Premier Gold this year with 51K+ PQM. Had I started 2018 with no status, I would only have 49,340 PQM (actual BIS miles up to 25K, then greater of BIS or 500 miles/segment thereafter) and Premier Silver status for 2019.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Is there a new thread for 2019, or are we continuing this one?

It looks like the Wiki needs to be updated in regards to baggage on three points (as of Sept 28 2018):

Checked baggage allowance
Business/First/Polaris: 3 bags at 70 lbs (2 bags w/o status)
US-to-Europe: 2 bags at 70 lbs
All others: 1 bag at 70 lbs
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wh6cto
Is there a new thread for 2019, or are we continuing this one? ..
Typically we wait until folks start discussing what there should try to earn for status in the next year, 2019 in this case. 2018 is a still an open issue with the January buy-ups.

Originally Posted by wh6cto
It looks like the Wiki needs to be updated in regards to baggage on three points (as of Sept 28 2018): ...
Done
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: MileagePlus , Ultimate Rewards, National Emerald Executive
Wink Newbie 1k PQM away from hitting Silver

I don't have any upcoming flights for the rest of 2019. I would really like to hit silver, but need a strategy. Can anyone recommend a way for me to hit the 1k PQM I need for Silver status ? Should I just book a flight and but not actually go?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
You have to fly to get 25k pqm. Or use premier accelerator.

If i were you id fly. So many cheap flights out there.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:03 am
st3

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Jim Bagwell
I don't have any upcoming flights for the rest of 2019. I would really like to hit silver, but need a strategy. Can anyone recommend a way for me to hit the 1k PQM I need for Silver status ? Should I just book a flight and but not actually go?
If you book it and don't go you won't get the PQMs. Throw some dates into Google Flights and just do a mileage run. You should be able to knock that out in a few hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.