Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017-2019 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Significant Premier Silver Benefits
  • Free E+ access (and for companion) at check-in
  • Eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrade (including a companion)
  • RDM earn rate a 7 x PQDs (vs GM @ 5x)
  • 500 mile minimum PQM on UA operated flights and some partners
  • Boarding Group 2 and priority check-in, priority security (also available to some credit card holders)
  • Bag allowance – +1x70 lbs (increased from 50 lbs 28 Sept 2018) (also some credit card holders get +1 or +2 x50lbs))
  • Reduced award change / cancellation fees
  • Access to expanded economy saver award inventory (also available to some credit card holders)
  • Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
  • Eligible for CPU on award flights if primary cardholder (no companions) of select MP credit cards

Related threads
United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

What would you pay to be Silver/Gold/Platinum/1k on UA

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous Threads
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2016 Consolidated]
Is Premier Silver worth it? [2014 - 2015]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017-2019 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
Smile

Originally Posted by wh6cto
Not for Silver. And with your wife maintaining MVP Gold 75K (plus WN), might be hard to maintain another program, and better off being in one.

If, however, she wants UA, then the status match might be the way to go:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...omoCode=TB8230
90 day window to fly, so might as well start in Jan, rather than this year.

For Silver, you might as well get the Mileage Plus Visa CC, gives you group 2 boarding and one free bag. Only thing you lose is E+ (only at checkin for Silver).

Good luck!
This is a great option and helpful feedback as well! Will look to do this, as she will have a few transcon trips for sure through March 2018. UA Gold I think is where the real benefits begin but I'll let the experts opine on that
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
Originally Posted by Often1
Nobody here can tell you about value as that is personal.

The real question to you is putting aside the PQD, what would you do with UA Silver if you had it?
Sage advice, and something I've come to know after interacting with a few fellow enthusiasts. For example, one friend hates Economy to the extent that he will pay $1,200 to fly premium economy (upgrade to J class due to his status) when the Economy flight would have cost him only $350. I don't know if I'd do that unless I was going for a mileage run or had a status in mind...

UA Silver on its own wouldn't be very valuable to us at all. Main attraction for us would be to attain a higher status like UA Gold where the benefits start making a bit more sense. Have had an easier time booking Star Alliance awards and since we're based in the Bay Area, thinking why not give our business to United / Alaska who are active in the Bay Area anyway.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by viperbrown
UA Silver on its own wouldn't be very valuable to us at all. Main attraction for us would be to attain a higher status like UA Gold where the benefits start making a bit more sense. Have had an easier time booking Star Alliance awards and since we're based in the Bay Area, thinking why not give our business to United / Alaska who are active in the Bay Area anyway.
Achieving UA Silver on its own will not help toward UA Gold status next year. UA doesn't offer rollover; everyone starts from 0 on January 1. So, your plan of getting the Explorer card and buying an E+ subscription -- or trying for a post-Jan 1 status match with Alaska -- probably make the most sense.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Achieving UA Silver on its own will not help toward UA Gold status next year. UA doesn't offer rollover; everyone starts from 0 on January 1. So, your plan of getting the Explorer card and buying an E+ subscription -- or trying for a post-Jan 1 status match with Alaska -- probably make the most sense.
Ah gotcha, good to know that. Loving FT, so helpful!

Will look to contribute to the forums as best I can.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
11,000 miles from Silver - is there any reasonable way to qualify?

I'm about 11,000 miles from Silver status. I'm wondering if there is any reasonably cost efficient way of getting 11,000 miles?

Or maybe Silver status isn't worth that much?

Thanks

- Dave
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dave5280
I'm about 11,000 miles from Silver status. I'm wondering if there is any reasonably cost efficient way of getting 11,000 miles? .....
See [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018 for ideas but you are looking at $500+ (probably more like $750) if you did some flying immediately and close to $1,500 just to buy the PQMs without flying.

Or maybe Silver status isn't worth that much? ....
What would you vlaueSilver for?
You could purchase an E+ access for less and that provides access at booking
(Re-)Introducing Subscriptions for United Club, Economy Plus and More
You could get a credit card for early boarding and free first bag
Upgrades are rare for Silver

also
Purchase annual E+ access or get a Chase card -- which is better?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 25, 2017 at 12:33 pm Reason: more links
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
I thought the Silver status also got you a higher mileage multiplier, 5 times I think, on ticket purchase mileage.

Not sure I want to spend the $499 for Economy Plus subscription, but it might be worth it.

I have the credit card and that is where most of miles come from, although Hertz rentals helped also this year.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I thought the Silver status also got you a higher mileage multiplier, 5 times I think, on ticket purchase mileage. ...
Yes, it does -- the wiki has a more detailed list of benefits.

Not sure I want to spend the $499 for Economy Plus subscription, but it might be worth it. ...
The advantage of the subscription is access at booking vs Silver access at check-in.

I have the credit card and that is where most of miles come from, although Hertz rentals helped also this year.
If a Chase MP card, you get 1 bag and premier boarding.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Just a data point: This year, I have flown 17 segments on United that had a first class cabin (so all of the segments on ERJ145/CRJ200 etc are not included in the figure). Out of the 17 segments, I have received a CPU on 7/17 of them. Granted, I usually fly smaller routes that are operated by Skywest ERJ175, but I have received some mainline upgrades, and even an op-up from C to F on a domestic 763. Silver may be worth it if you're flying in and out of more regional airports that have ERJ175 or CRJ700 service (like I do).
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure I want to spend the $499 for Economy Plus subscription, but it might be worth it.
I did the explorer card (which I've had for a while) plus E+ subscription for 2017, since I didn't fly a lot in 2016. Toward the end of this year I was close enough to Silver and had more travel planned for December so I ended up adjusting my flights to squeak over the line to Silver for 2018.

The differences are:
With silver:
you get E+ at T-24, so you have to check in right then to have a good chance of getting the seat you want (but my E+ subscription is good til march)
Better IRROPS handling
Premier security line (shorter line, regular TSA check) if you aren't precheck
7x multiplier for miles instead of 5x of general member
And not much else.

I've generally had very good luck at T-24 in getting E+ aisles with empty middles, and the price was the same, or maybe $100 less to go for silver, so I did that. I've also taken advantage of the IRROPS handling more than once during winter storms and it is definitely better than being a general member when there are people sleeping on the floor and big lines at the customer service desk.

I also started flying Alaska this year for my North/South travel up to the PNW, but started late in the year so I only made it halfway to MVP. Getting silver let me submit for a status match, so it's slightly better for me to do that than do Explorer and E+ subscription, but it's a close trade.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:46 am
RNE

I've read through the thread and seek an up-to-date perspective on this. To wit, my Warren-Buffet-sized stash of FPQMs finally ran out this year, and on February 1, 2019, I'll lose Premier status. I plan to keep some benefits via...
  • Chase MP Explorer card: $95
    • Waived Bag Fee
    • Group 2 Boarding
    • Better Award Bookings
  • Economy Plus Subscription: $899
    • Subscriber and companion (global)
Am I missing anything?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by RNE
I've read through the thread and seek an up-to-date perspective on this. To wit, my Warren-Buffet-sized stash of FPQMs finally ran out this year, and on February 1, 2019, I'll lose Premier status. I plan to keep some benefits via...
    • Waived Bag Fee
    • Group 2 Boarding
    • Better Award Bookings
Am I missing anything?
Upgrades, as slim as that may be as Silver. Reduced close-in booking fee, and it appears they've fixed the workaround of booking a flight months out and then changing it. Reduced cancellation/change fee for awards. Better RDM earnings.

None of that seems terribly important.
RNE likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
    • Waived Bag Fee
    • Group 2 Boarding
    • Better Award Bookings
Am I missing anything?
  • US-based premier desk and the ability to reach a knowledgeable agent within a minute of picking up the phone (usually)
  • Much better IRROPS handling (which dovetails with the premier desk)
  • Priority baggage handling
  • Waived co-pay on domestic MUAs.
The IRROPS handling is worth all the PQDs you've funneled at United when everything goes FUBAR. For example, an airport ticket agent was able to change my flight to get a confirmed B-fare on a DCA-EWR leg when the eastern seaboard was all screwed due to storms. I was able to get a confirmed seat despite 12 people already on standby, none of whom made it on the flight.

On that same trip, I was taking an EWR--SFO second leg that I bought up to business (P) day of. When I landed in EWR, my original flight was 3 hours delayed and the app offered a change to an earlier flight (also delayed, but still leaving much earlier). When I clicked confirm, I learned the hard way that voluntary changes cause upgrades to disappear. I called the premier desk, who looped in a supervisor and the web support team, who were able to see my prior transactions and force me into P on the new flight. Good luck getting the global regular UA customer service line to even figure out what you're asking in that circumstance.

Baggage handling and MUA co-pay waivers are little perks, but not worth much.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by prometa
On that same trip, I was taking an EWR--SFO second leg that I bought up to business (P) day of. When I landed in EWR, my original flight was 3 hours delayed and the app offered a change to an earlier flight (also delayed, but still leaving much earlier). When I clicked confirm, I learned the hard way that voluntary changes cause upgrades to disappear. I called the premier desk, who looped in a supervisor and the web support team, who were able to see my prior transactions and force me into P on the new flight. Good luck getting the global regular UA customer service line to even figure out what you're asking in that circumstance.
+1. It's an often-overlooked benefit but huge when things happen. I missed an EWR-SFO (originally paid P) that was all my fault, and the premier desk rebooked me positive space (Z class) on the next available flight.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 7:41 am
RNE

Originally Posted by prometa
The IRROPS handling...
Originally Posted by findark
+1. It's an often-overlooked benefit but huge when things happen...
I guess the old saw goes something like this: "Silvers don't fly enough for that benefit to be worth the cost." Still, your point is well taken. I have not abandoned considering strategies to retain Silver status in 2019, but only if I can do so economically. Otherwise, it's "Bronze Premier" for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.