Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017-2019 Consolidated]

Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Significant Premier Silver Benefits
  • Free E+ access (and for companion) at check-in
  • Eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrade (including a companion)
  • RDM earn rate a 7 x PQDs (vs GM @ 5x)
  • 500 mile minimum PQM on UA operated flights and some partners
  • Boarding Group 2 and priority check-in, priority security (also available to some credit card holders)
  • Bag allowance – +1x70 lbs (increased from 50 lbs 28 Sept 2018) (also some credit card holders get +1 or +2 x50lbs))
  • Reduced award change / cancellation fees
  • Access to expanded economy saver award inventory (also available to some credit card holders)
  • Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
  • Eligible for CPU on award flights if primary cardholder (no companions) of select MP credit cards

Related threads
United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

What would you pay to be Silver/Gold/Platinum/1k on UA

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Previous Threads
Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2016 Consolidated]
Is Premier Silver worth it? [2014 - 2015]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it making Premier Silver? [2017-2019 Consolidated]

Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
So first time first year of silver.

Bah.

The only benefit is Econ plus, which really is only sitting a row higher up.

I’m going to be just over 10k short this year and I can’t see the upside really.

United club card adds a few benefits and that’s prob all I need.

Honestly. I’ve NEVER gotten CPU and this isn’t really key for me because I never fly more than 2 hrs domestically so “business” class isn’t much different. Transatlantic,
Where I do like to use my united miles, isn’t even eligible for CPU
Besides E+, which I agree with other posters is pretty big, there's another benefit for me: I don't have to use my UA credit card to get my free checked bag, which means I can use my CSR and get 3x UR instead of 2x UA or I can use my old MileagePlus Select and earn PQM for the ticket price and still get my free checked bag. These may not be huge benefits, but they matter to me.

I haven't had United status in a few years now. I'm trying to get SPG Platinum as my way to get Silver this year (via Marriott). If I see that's not going to happen, I'll probably do a mileage/PQD run as I'll fall about 4000 miles and $400 PQD short the way things stand right now. Will be worth it for me, I think.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: United Star Alliance
How to get 20,000 premium UA miles before end of year

Hi there..... I'm new to this so apologies in advance for, most likely, a pretty basic question. I didn't fly on the right airlines this year and I still need $2500 PQD and 20,000 PQM to maintain my silver premium status. Without getting the credit card, how can I get to this goal asap?
I'm flying out of Durango ( DRO) CO
Many thanks.
Jill
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, Jill Southworth!

Originally Posted by Jill Southworth
I still need $2500 PQD and 20,000 PQM to maintain my silver premium status.
Considering how little you seem to fly, I don't see how the benefits of Silver can possibly be worth it. However, if you really want it, your best option is just to book a long flight or two that meet your required spending. One DEN-ORD-SIN round-trip would be over 20K PQM, and I'm sure you could buy that for $2,500 or more.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:45 pm

Thanks so much, I normally fly enough to get it easily, this year I've flown with the wrong carriers.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
That's a lot of miles and money to just get Silver. To each their own but just get if next year if you fly the "right carriers".
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Mot sure why you fly United Airlines between now and the end of the year for the sole purpose of earning status when you don't fly it. Seems like a waste of time/effort/money.

The Chase United Card gets you most of the benefits of Silver and you can buy an E+ subscription for far less than spending money to get to Silver by flying. The E+ subscription lets you choose seats at booking instead of at T-24, so your seat choice will be better. Don't get Silver for upgrades that you'll never/very rarely get.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:18 pm

Thanks. I normally fly everywhere with United, this year I had to fly Trans Pacific, instead of Trans Atlantic and my tkts were all with QF each time. That's why I don't have the miles.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Mileage Plan
My two cents? Don't do anything this year, and do a nice trip in January of 2018, and get the status for the rest of 2018 AND 2019
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
$638 PQD needed for United Silver worth it?

Relatively new to FT. My wife and I are letting our AA Plat and Gold status' expire this year and might try for UA status in 2018. She's Alaska MVP Gold 75k for 2018 though, as well as Southwest Companion Pass.

She just had two last minute office trips so is now only $638 PQD away from United Silver. Although unplanned, is it worth chasing that at this hour? Our upcoming flights include $300/pp Economy Jetblue flights SFO to NY before Christmas (allows us an entry into their 2018 free flights sweepstakes), and SW Companion Pass awards PHL to OAK on Jan 1.

Would it be worth it to change one JetBlue flight to an overpriced $700 First class ticket on United?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
I mean.. if you "have" to take the flights, and you're going to fly a few times next year, sure. But UA Silver doesn't really do that much for me, you or anyone.

You can just save the $400 and get the United credit card. You get similar perks..
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Originally Posted by viperbrown
Relatively new to FT. My wife and I are letting our AA Plat and Gold status' expire this year and might try for UA status in 2018. She's Alaska MVP Gold 75k for 2018 though, as well as Southwest Companion Pass.

She just had two last minute office trips so is now only $638 PQD away from United Silver. Although unplanned, is it worth chasing that at this hour? Our upcoming flights include $300/pp Economy Jetblue flights SFO to NY before Christmas (allows us an entry into their 2018 free flights sweepstakes), and SW Companion Pass awards PHL to OAK on Jan 1.

Would it be worth it to change one JetBlue flight to an overpriced $700 First class ticket on United?
Not for Silver. And with your wife maintaining MVP Gold 75K (plus WN), might be hard to maintain another program, and better off being in one.

If, however, she wants UA, then the status match might be the way to go:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...omoCode=TB8230
90 day window to fly, so might as well start in Jan, rather than this year.

For Silver, you might as well get the Mileage Plus Visa CC, gives you group 2 boarding and one free bag. Only thing you lose is E+ (only at checkin for Silver).

Good luck!

Last edited by wh6cto; Dec 18, 2017 at 10:31 am Reason: Misspelled MVP tier
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
Originally Posted by Tblack15
I mean.. if you "have" to take the flights, and you're going to fly a few times next year, sure. But UA Silver doesn't really do that much for me, you or anyone.

You can just save the $400 and get the United credit card. You get similar perks..
Agree with you there, UA Silver by itself doesn't do much at all. AA Gold (and even Plat to an extent) is a culprit of that too, which is why we're dropping it. Would having Silver help achieve Gold though? We definitely will be taking a few flights next year for business if not for pleasure.

I guess you're right though, as spending $25k on the credit card waives the PQD requirement. Maybe that is the way to go instead of re-routing the flights we have to take anyway in the next two weeks.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
You're much better off saving the $139 and buying the E+ subscription for 2018 which gets you the most important benefit from Silver. You're even better off with the E+ subscription because you get to select the E+ at booking vs. check-in with Premier Silver status.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nobody here can tell you about value as that is personal.

The real question to you is putting aside the PQD, what would you do with UA Silver if you had it?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:28 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 764toHI
You're much better off saving the $139 and buying the E+ subscription for 2018 which gets you the most important benefit from Silver. You're even better off with the E+ subscription because you get to select the E+ at booking vs. check-in with Premier Silver status.
Good point, didn't know United offered that! Think we'll go this + credit card route and organically try to bank our 2018 flights to UA. Thanks for the helpful guidance!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.