Wiki Posts
Search

Expired Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, UA LT Gold, Hyatt Glob, Delta Dia, Hilton Dia
Expired Ticket

I had a unused ticket from 2016 that was scheduled to to fly in Australia in December, however i booked that in October 4th 2016 and as i'm planning my December Trip again, United Reservations informed me my ticket had EXPIRED and i'm unable to use the value. I guess its my fault for not paying attention, was thinking i had till December to use it however its kind of leaves a sour taste that that 2600 dollars went to thin air since its Oct 20th, anyone had experience in reversing this?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I've never heard of anyone getting any value from an expired ticket.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
12 months from ticketing is the well-known rule and getting around that is near impossible.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It states on the ticket receipt
Your eTicket is non transferable and valid for 1 year from the issue date unless otherwise noted in the fare rules.
Unless you can come up with some extenuating circumstances, you may have an expensive learning experience.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Why did you not fly last year?

If it was in any way United's fault then you'd have a good chance of asking them to come to the party - even if it was in the form of vouchers rather than actually extending your ticket.

If it was something insurance would cover then you may have an avenue there - but I'm not sure they are going to like the delay in claiming.

If it was just because you choose not to go, then as others have said...
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
12 months from ticketing is the well-known rule and getting around that is near impossible.
to be fair, while well-known around here with experienced FTers, I doubt most of the flying public has any clue about this. If one reads the COC and fare rules, yes, it’s there, but most don’t even do that to find out the basic rules and restrictions on their tickets. And even many on here have found out many things the hard way.

OP certainly did this time, and I’m sure now knows for next time. Unfortunately, there’s nothing one can do, save for potentially some major extenuating circumstance where, say, the OP had a medical condition that prevented them from traveling for. A year. Short of that, unfortunately, OP will be out of luck.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
to be fair, while well-known around here with experienced FTers, I doubt most of the flying public has any clue about this. If one reads the COC and fare rules, yes, it’s there ....
And on the ticket receipt.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Apparently, it's not impossible to get the value back after a ticket has expired.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifest...025-story.html
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
I had that happen on a flight with American Airlines about 12 years ago. Hard lesson but you never do it twice.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Much like ignorance of the law is no excuse, ignorance of the rules of a fare is no excuse. If you choose not to read the fare rules it is on you. Sorry.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not only is it 100% on the passenger to read the rules, it is especially so when we are talking about $2,600 and something which one would reasonably expect to expire some day. So, it would be reasonable to ask "when?"

The one-year ticket expiry has been around for 50+ years so it is not some new thing concocted by UA.

If OP has an insurance claim underlying the reason for the cancellation, he should file a claim (if he has not blown that deadline too).
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Often1
If OP has an insurance claim underlying the reason for the cancellation, he should file a claim (if he has not blown that deadline too).
Most likely United will extend the validity of the ticket if OP has any claim that would qualify for (most) travel insurance
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
Apparently, it's not impossible to get the value back after a ticket has expired.

very different story here.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by coolbeans202

Medical waivers are very standard, surprised the individual had any trouble in the first place. I've used this twice myself.

Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged]
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Sykes
Most likely United will extend the validity of the ticket if OP has any claim that would qualify for (most) travel insurance
Doubtful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.