Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do GS do for a living?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
Yes. Yes I Do. Always having somewhere to go/somewhere to be is what drives me. And again, myself, I am at a point in my life where I can be flexible to do that. 10 years from now when I will have a kid and be married, I won't have that drive as much and would prefer a more stay-at-the-office position. I flew almost 200k on personal travel last year, mainly MR's and a couple trips back home from CO to MI, and honestly that felt like nothing.

Lots of time off is almost harder to find then a company with J policy. And if you want to travel with a working spouse - double that, unless he/she is a teacher and has the summer off.

I know I'm not the only one like this. The always on the go. When I sit down at home and just do nothing, I can't help but feel I need to get something planned.

So yes, an endless array of flying to meetings and staying at chain hotels appeals to me, immensely.
You just described exactly my earlier life. I have no idea how many annual miles I flew in my earlier career, but I'm at 2.5 MM just on MileagePlus and I'm just over 40. But back in the day, I was flying nearly all worldwide airlines Business Class jetting between a 2 hour meeting in SYD, up to SIN, over to TPE, quick follow up dinner in JNB and back home via LHR. And this is way before lie flat business products. Can't tell you how many miles I slept in ClubWorld cradle seats. Once I met my wife, I was done. Changed jobs, had kids, moved to another city, and loving life. Still travel but all domestic travel.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:54 am

Perhaps find something else to do? A new hobby or sport to keep you occupied

I know I'm not the only one like this. The always on the go. When I sit down at home and just do nothing, I can't help but feel I need to get something planned.

So yes, an endless array of flying to meetings and staying at chain hotels appeals to me, immensely.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:07 am

Not GS. I'm in the bermuda triangle of spending about $20-25k / year. I fly one TATL and a couple of US/Canada trips a month (Chicago, Houston or Calgary) and think it is about the perfect amount of travel. Away from home enough to appreciate getting back and not being in the office too much.

Helps that when I am away typically stay in very nice hotels. not 4 seasons but the rung below.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DELee
1. Wake up in some hotel.
2. Eat breakfast.
3. Get in a vehicle and get ride to airport.
4. Go through security.
5. Go to gate and step forward after others have pre-boarded.
6. Take a seat - likely in F or J.
7. <do on plane stuff>
8. Get off plane.
9. Get a ride to next meeting.
10. Participate in meeting.
11. Get ride to next hotel.
12. Check in to hotel.
13. <do hotel stuff>
14. Sleep.
15. Repeat 1-14.

David
So true. Just add in “go for a run if not totally exhausted” to my morning routine. Its exciting for a few years and then it wears you down. Especially with a wife and kids at home.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by chipmaster
I'd don't mind Y now that I'm 1K, sure envy that finer meal up front, but sleeping would be the last thing I want to do, doing this every other week. I'm amazed how people switch sleeping hours on the plane to land rested and it being evening. ...
I always try to adjust the the destination time zone as early as possible. However for some reason on a plane, most people decide they want to goto sleep after the meal service. The last think I want to do is wake up fully rested in HKG at 8pm at night.

... Lots of time off is almost harder to find then a company with J policy. ...
I think it is pretty standard to get 3 weeks of vacation per year plus about a week of holidays. At least in the engineering field. So I basically have a month to work with every year. My company counts my vacation and work time down to the hour/minute. Meaning I am not forced to take vacation in full day or half day chunks. Also, my company has a "flex" policy meaning that I can work whatever hours I want as long as I get 40hrs in per week (and my manager is ok with it). So if I split a 1 week trip over two weeks, I can work longer days before and after the trip to reduce the amount of vacation hours I use. Also, I can work at home or remotely meaning I can do some work on the plane or at the airport reducing the amount of vacation time I use even more. This means I can typically take one day of using zero vacation. Take two days off using half a day of vacation possibly. That adds up over a year. Finding a company that will pay for J seems alot harder at least in my field.

Last edited by eng3; Oct 25, 2017 at 10:09 am
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Would love to hear some stories of being GS with 100% leisure travel
I've been GS for two years and don't fly for work. Just like to go to new places for short times to explore them. More often than not, I fly just to be in GF because I enjoy it a lot. Just hit 300k PQM for 2017, should end the year around 360k PQM.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by ckidder331
I work with several GS at Disney.
We travel a lot for work to the various Parks and vendors all over the world.
You poor thing, so sorry!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by eng3
Finding a company that will pay for J seems alot harder at least in my field.
Agreed. Companies are usually pretty open about their vacation benefits and often advertise them on their website. Have yet to see a company advertise J travel benefits. Getting back to the main topic of this thread… I’d love to know of some specific companies that advertise these benefits
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by getagb
I’d love to know of some specific companies that advertise these benefits
My wifes company said during interview is J for TATL, her handbook says J. First trip to Germany she was coerced into Y.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by getagb
Agreed. Companies are usually pretty open about their vacation benefits and often advertise them on their website. Have yet to see a company advertise J travel benefits. Getting back to the main topic of this thread… I’d love to know of some specific companies that advertise these benefits
We work gov't contracts and there is some policy about paid J on flights over a certain length. However, each program (including everyone I've ever been on) can choose to waive this and force everyone into Y to save money. For a short time, our company had some deal with UA where the company got an allotment of GPU and RPUs. This benefit was completely unadvertised to the employees. All the senior managers knew about it. Eventually I figured out the right person to email and they'd apply the GPU and that got me upgraded on a few trips to singapore. Unfortunately we don't have that anymore.
Some people I work with (some GS), are contractors so they are able to put specific stipulations in their contract the they fly paid J on flights over a certain length.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by jdivenere
I've been GS for two years and don't fly for work. Just like to go to new places for short times to explore them. More often than not, I fly just to be in GF because I enjoy it a lot. Just hit 300k PQM for 2017, should end the year around 360k PQM.
You are a glutton for punishment. While I think it makes sense to try to consolidate air travel to a single airline as best as possible, I think if 100% of my travel was personal... United would NOT be my first choice.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
My wifes company said during interview is J for TATL, her handbook says J. First trip to Germany she was coerced into Y.
I don't like hearing that she was "coerced" into Y. That is kind of cheap to say the least. Sorry to hear that.
My wife works for a large tech company in the Silicon Valley which shall remain nameless. She works globally for them. Part of her terms at hiring was business or better on any flight over 3 hours. I believe it was even written into her contract. They have stood by their end of the deal for the past 3 years.
I have my own business so I travel only TATLs or TPACs business or better. Neither one of us are GS as well use too much non UA metal.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by eng3
I am curious about who can earn GS with 100% leisure travel without any cheats (ie. spouse, celebrity, company, etc). I suppose you can spend 40PQD pretty easily just buying last minute intl J. Maybe 5 or 6 RTs would do it. But I don't know what kind of PQM they typically look for. Ofcourse status is pretty useless if you never fly.
My wife has earned GS the last few years and will again this year with almost all leisure travel spend. We go back and forth from NYC to the West Coast about a dozen times per year in business or first, mostly on flexible fares. We also take one or two trips to Europe and one trip to Japan every year, and a handful of trips to other cities in the US (Chicago, St Louis, Houston, etc), all in business or first.

My wife is 1MM, so she flies on cash tickets, and I only fly on miles, so we're both GS.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by nomad420
I don't like hearing that she was "coerced" into Y. That is kind of cheap to say the least. Sorry to hear that.
My wife works for a large tech company in the Silicon Valley which shall remain nameless. She works globally for them. Part of her terms at hiring was business or better on any flight over 3 hours. I believe it was even written into her contract. They have stood by their end of the deal for the past 3 years.
I have my own business so I travel only TATLs or TPACs business or better. Neither one of us are GS as well use too much non UA metal.
There are of course definitely many sides to the issue of business class travel. I'm very thankful that my firm treats me well. I have a back injury that has sidelined me from Golf, and even makes sitting at a desk for more than an hour at a time nearly impossible. Sitting 5+ hours in an upright position would simply not be an option for me anymore. In my younger days, sitting 16+ hours was not an issue at all.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Consultant of sorts, doing most of my work for Chinese clients. 8-10 TPAC RTs per year (mostly purchased last minute due to fluctuating schedules). Some TATL or Latin America sprinkled in. Company policy dictates paid business class for flights longer than 6 hours. Domestic flights are paid coach with CPUs.

I suspect those doing work w/ China (which can vary greatly from oil/gas, sales, procurement, consultants, professional services, etc) are a huge chunk of GSs, given the massive route network UA has. Europe is not to be ignored either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.