Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Don't offer the middle. Offer the aisle.
This is a 2-1-2 middle, so I think it's a fair offer.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Don't offer the middle. Offer the aisle.
Only possible way is to offer the middle (unless OP doesn't mind being across the aisle from his wife)
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
On my BOS-IAH flight the other day I noticed that the middle seat (exit row) next to me was empty on the seat map. There were a handful of other E+ middles left, and a bunch of E middles, with only 5 or so people on the standby list, and 10 minutes until boarding. I asked the gate agent if there's any way he could clear the middle seat next to me last, hoping that they wouldn't need it and I could have some extra space for the 4+ hour flight. He said no problem and actually blocked the seat -- which was really nice!

About 1 hour into the flight a passenger came back from first class and switched with the guy who was in the aisle seat in my row. I was a little confused but I didn't care. But then I noticed the new guy talking to his co-worker across the aisle, and before you know it she was asking me if I could remove my things on the middle seat (headphone case, etc.) so that she could sit in the middle seat and work with her co-worker. I gave her a look that made my disappointment clear. She got the hint and then said, "Do you want my aisle seat?" -- across the aisle with the middle and window taken. I said, "No, I want nobody sitting next to me". She look surprised and snarkily said, "we'll make it quick". After about an hour of loud chatting and computer typing, she went back to her seat.

Was I in the wrong here or would y'all have done the same?
could have said “this seat was blocked because of a spilled diaper on previous flight”!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Collierkr
could have said “this seat was blocked because of a spilled diaper on previous flight”!
Buy some of this? Caution Spill Area Barricade Tape
Attached Images  
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Howste
Too funny . A friend of mine uses a little different (but effective method) when he is lucky enough to have an empty seat next to him. He takes out the air sickness bag, puts it on the empty seat and periodically reaches for it if someone eyeballs the empty seat! He is 100% with this method.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
On my BOS-IAH flight the other day I noticed that the middle seat (exit row) next to me was empty on the seat map. There were a handful of other E+ middles left, and a bunch of E middles, with only 5 or so people on the standby list, and 10 minutes until boarding. I asked the gate agent if there's any way he could clear the middle seat next to me last, hoping that they wouldn't need it and I could have some extra space for the 4+ hour flight. He said no problem and actually blocked the seat -- which was really nice!

About 1 hour into the flight a passenger came back from first class and switched with the guy who was in the aisle seat in my row. I was a little confused but I didn't care. But then I noticed the new guy talking to his co-worker across the aisle, and before you know it she was asking me if I could remove my things on the middle seat (headphone case, etc.) so that she could sit in the middle seat and work with her co-worker. I gave her a look that made my disappointment clear. She got the hint and then said, "Do you want my aisle seat?" -- across the aisle with the middle and window taken. I said, "No, I want nobody sitting next to me". She look surprised and snarkily said, "we'll make it quick". After about an hour of loud chatting and computer typing, she went back to her seat.

Was I in the wrong here or would y'all have done the same?
Sounds like they were trying to be as understanding as possible. Trying to disturb you less, but still trying to work. I would've been ok with this because they were trying to be understanding. It's the rude ones that I have no sympathy for.
Next time, ask for the FC seat and they can all sit together in coach! LOL!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Too funny . A friend of mine uses a little different (but effective method) when he is lucky enough to have an empty seat next to him. He takes out the air sickness bag, puts it on the empty seat and periodically reaches for it if someone eyeballs the empty seat! He is 100% with this method.
I was on a S/W flight a few years ago when the f/a announced, "This a completely full flight , so those of you reading a newspaper, with a magazine on the seat next to you, it''s eye contact time, folks!"
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by luke5111
It was the wheelchair guy yesterday. Sitting in 7C and the wheelchair guy comes on with a very frail looking, elderly lady. He scoops her out of the wheelchair and stands next to me holding her in his arms and asks if I'd mind taking the window seat. I don't know if this behaviour is taught in their training sessions but no way was I going to turn that one down.
Since she's obviously not going to be getting up during the flight, I would have had him put her by the window! Where she can remain till after all the passengers have exited the plane at the destination, and the wheelchair guy can come down to collect her. That's what my Dad would do when he and Mom were travelling together.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA GS
So today was a first: just before boarding our CR7 for a 2+ hour flight, I was paged to the podium, where the gate agent told me a non-status passenger had been asking after my seat and, although she had refused to move me, that I should be prepared to field a request to switch onboard! I was seated in 2C, the aisle seat in the second (and final) row of the 1-ailse-2 first class. I was first in line to board in Group 1 when lo and behold passengers holding boarding passes for 1A and 2D slid in front of me out of nowhere, scanned their boarding passes before the agent was even ready, raced to the aircraft, and plonked themselves in 2C and 2D. Generally, I am amenable to respectful requests for seat changes, and frankly I would have booked 1A over 2C if they were both available, but I was all to happy to separate the couple given their multiple transgressions. When I pointed out that someone was in my assigned seat, I was asked to relocated but declined on false account of my distaste for the bulkhead.

When we were deplaning, I explained to the man who was ultimately unable to sit beside his girlfriend, why I hadn't accommodated their request that I move. He became verbally aggressive towards me and started using derogatory, sexist language in the presence of the flight attendant, who he had been treating disrespectfully all flight. When he told me I "should be glad we're on a plane," I decided I had a few extra minutes to stick around after the flight to contribute my testimony to a report with a supervisor. The cabin crew as well as the front line and management customer service staff seemed to appreciate my advocacy. So, in short, I did not feel like a jerk for saying no to a seat change request, especially because the requester ended up being not only an entitled jerk but also a violent misogynist!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm impressed by the conduct of the GA at the origin; sounds like she successfully shut down an aggressive pax and also wisely thought to give you a heads-up that there might be an issue on board.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsl42
... When I pointed out that someone was in my assigned seat, I was asked to relocated but declined on false account of my distaste for the bulkhead.
By the poacher or FA?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jsl42

So, in short, I did not feel like a jerk for saying no to a seat change request, especially because the requester ended up being not only an entitled jerk but also a violent misogynist!
Ain't Karma great

Sadly, does not work often enough

And ^ to GA for giving you heads up.

If it were me, I'd look at u/g status (may be too late now) to see if they were separated because those were the seats they were assigned during u/g process.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by findark
I'm impressed by the conduct of the GA at the origin; sounds like she successfully shut down an aggressive pax and also wisely thought to give you a heads-up that there might be an issue on board.
I agree. I was traveling paid first, so of course I was nervous to be paged right before boarding but I certainly appreciated the heads up from the gate agent.

Originally Posted by joe_miami
By the poacher or FA?
By the poachers. The FA was not involved in any seating issue.

Originally Posted by EmailKid
If it were me, I'd look at u/g status (may be too late now) to see if they were separated because those were the seats they were assigned during u/g process.
Unprompted, the angel gate agent told me they were no-status. Upgrade tab on flight status showed no upgraded pax.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE
This thread reminds me of a few experiences I have had with this situation both good and bad.

Good: Couple wanted to breastfeed child and asked to switch their aisle seat to my window, to which I obliged. And an elderly couple wanted to sit together on another flight which was ok too.

Bad: Only happened once thankfully, a few years ago. SFO-LHR, in business class, 772, with a rear facing window seat with a great view of engine and wing. I purposely picked this seat because I wanted to experience it. Towards the end of boarding a man comes to me from near the end of business class, aisle seat, forward facing. He was sitting next to me but his wife was sitting in the aisle sea, and he asked if I would switch with his wife. I politely said no and explained why and he was instantly angered saying I was an Ahole and that he was “going to make the flight miserable for me” because I didn’t switch. I didn’t care about the threats but was absolutely shocked at the nerve of some people. He eventually convinced the passenger sitting next to his wife to swap with him so he ended up in the back with his wife. But I was surprised.

I have no problem saying no and could care less what people think, and have done it politely many times. However I have also switched depending on the circumstances. It’s a multifactorial situation but one that I don’t feel bad about all things considered.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by thefiverivers
Bad: Only happened once thankfully, a few years ago. SFO-LHR, in business class, 772, with a rear facing window seat with a great view of engine and wing. I purposely picked this seat because I wanted to experience it. Towards the end of boarding a man comes to me from near the end of business class, aisle seat, forward facing. He was sitting next to me but his wife was sitting in the aisle sea, and he asked if I would switch with his wife. I politely said no and explained why and he was instantly angered saying I was an Ahole and that he was “going to make the flight miserable for me” because I didn’t switch. I didn’t care about the threats but was absolutely shocked at the nerve of some people. He eventually convinced the passenger sitting next to his wife to swap with him so he ended up in the back with his wife. But I was surprised.
If anyone ever does that to me, I will hit the call button, and explain to the FA that I'd like to speak to the Captain so that I could report I had just been threatened by the individual making the threat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.