Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by findark
There is no Row 10 on a UA 789, which leaves me to wonder.. this must have been another J seat, right?
You are right findark, it was J. Perhaps it was 9L (or the last row in J).
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Not so much l/h J but on "honeymoon"/vacation spots (CUN, LAS, KOA, SDQ, SJD) one of the reasons I like to board the 737/A3s early is that I'm usually a solo traveler and I want a non-bulkhead F aisle. I've had one time a couple plop down in my seat and another ask me to move....and I've witnessed similar in the cabin.
I work in weddings now and then, if you can hire me as a photographer 10 months in advance you can book your honeymoon flights just as early.
I do not move to windows or bulkheads.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zrs70
Another perspective....

my husband was just just hit by a car while traveling in Charlotte from Los Angele. He will be fine. But result is two leg fractures.

I flew lee out there to help bring him home. All very last minute.

I booked two F class seats on AA. But the only seats available are two windows.

I will I’ll be working to get him a seat where he can stretch his leg. (Econ is sold out, otherwise I would have booked a full row for him).

So- in the case, I will be the one asking others to move from aisle to window. I will be the one others might think, “if he wanted an aisle, he should have booked one.”
Not at all. My rule is I will rarely, if ever, swap seats. However, I make an exception for emergencies exactly like this. Not only would I switch with you, I'd do everything I can to assist you and your husband. I suspect most people would do the same.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Allan38103
What you should have done is either:

A. Give up your seat and not post about it, or

B. Not give up your seat and not post about it.

No one cares if you felt like a jerk for 16 hours.
No one cares if you didn't feel like a jerk for 16 hours.
Well that's not true. I care. And I am glad they posted...especially since this thread is for people who are curious as to others experiences about impromptu seat swapping.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by threeoh
Maybe I've had bad luck lately, but I've been unable to book a seat next to my SO for several flights in the last year (UA and others). We take the following approach:

(1) Book an aisle near the middle or front
(2) Book a middle near the back.
(3) Board and sit down in the assigned middle and the adjacent (incorrect) aisle seat
(4) When the passenger shows up for the aisle seat, ask them if they'd like to switch to a seat a few rows further forward. Has never been declined.

Better than waiting for someone to get all settled and then ask them to move, IMO, and is easy to communicate through a language barrier. If they did decline, I'd happily drop it and sit apart. Seems worth the ask, though, for an identical aisle seat further forward.

I also recently switched from an aisle to a middle so a parent could sit next to their ~8yo kid (I initiated the offer, and in fact offered again after they said it wasn't necessary). I think they were NRSA or possibly revenue standby because they boarded last, but maybe just a tight connection. Was for a 2-hour ORD-LGA and knew it was a bigger deal for them than it was for me. My book was just as fun to read in 28E as it would in 28C.
This is a great process but is 3 steps too many for the average flyer....
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
(3) Board and sit down in the assigned middle and the adjacent (incorrect) aisle seat
(4) When the passenger shows up for the aisle seat, ask them if they'd like to switch to a seat a few rows further forward. Has never been declined.

Better than waiting for someone to get all settled and then ask them to move, IMO.
This is my thoughts exactly and why I never understand the “if you presume to take my seat before asking crowd” may be jumping the gun a lot of times.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Maybe I've had bad luck lately, but I've been unable to book a seat next to my SO for several flights in the last year (UA and others). We take the following approach:

This should normally work, unless your your SO is attractive, and the person in the middle a few rows ahead is a POS.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 18, 2017 at 3:32 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... (3) Board and sit down in the assigned middle and the adjacent (incorrect) aisle seat
(4) When the passenger shows up for the aisle seat, ask them if they'd like to switch to a seat a few rows further forward. Has never been declined. ....
You have been lucky. For many, the presumptuous taking of another's person assigned seat is a dealbreaker.

Additionally on UA front and some of the middle of economy is E+ so the process needs refinement for UA aircraft.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
It looks like I may have to ask someone tuesday.....I think we're going to cleared on a waitlist in Business for a TATL non-stop vs. a connecting flight. there's a half dozen scattered seats...if possibly, I'll take 3B and 4A on a 767. We'll ask the passenger in 4B if they'll switch to 3B....
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I need my aisle seat so I say no if it is not comparable. On one hand, you do feel like a jerk saying no. On the other hand, if sitting together is so important, then people should have done that to start with or decline upgrades.

Most of the time the requests I hear are not comparable swaps. Multiple times, I have seen people in Y requesting to swap with people in E+ and people actually agree to it! I don't know if they purposely try to pull a fast one or they just don't know better. Occasionally I remind the "victim" that they are getting a bad deal...

I was once asked by a non-rev standby to swap my row 21 to row 20 (non-recline). When I said no, the wife said "busted!" to the husband
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
About 10 or so years I'm sitting in my favorite seat (3B) on a 320. Prior to walking down the jet way I hear this gate agent cackling where the entire terminal could hear her. She was glad handing a pax that was definitely her bud. About 10 mins after I board and I am casually sipping my G&T & on walks Buddy and yells, "Mr. Two BEE", and shoves a new b/p in my face and tells me,'You're now in 2D!" I remember my answer vividly, as I informed him that I purchased this ticket a year ago and have had this seat ever since, AND I'M NOT MOVING! He does a beautiful 180 and about 4 mins later here comes the cackler who just happens to be a supervisor. At first she tells me that I must move (no response), then she tells me that I am in violation of some federal rule (no response), Then she asks me to walk back behind the curtain so we can speak (no response), then she softly whispers (something between a chirp and a cackle) that she will give me 5K miles if I move to 2D ---PLEASE---!!! Something about the fact that this guy was a big shot and he asked for my seat, and she accommodated him, and now she is in big trouble. My only response, "Hey, if you would have taken the initiative, on your own, and not deputized another pax to come on here and throw a new b/p in my face, telling me where my new seat was, things could probably have turned out differently. By this time Buddy said, "It's O.K., I'll sit in 2D, no problem.

Well there was a problem, and that problem was a letter written by me to H.Q. It took about 2 weeks and I began getting calls from shirts all over the system, and they even flew me to DEN so I could be interviewed, as they fired her a few weeks later (actually she retired). Some of my angels over in DEN told me that the company wanted her OUT, and that's the end of the story! One less bird flying around inside terminal "B"!!!
Old Nov 18, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With all this negativity, I suppose I should tell this story:

Back when I had my horrible fear of flying (happily gone for a number of years, now), one of my requirements for maintaining my sanity as a frequent flyer was a window seat, so I could look out -- for some reason it always helped. I had missed my earlier flight and a GA switched me to a later one. I asked for a "true window seat," which was I always did back then because of those horrible planes that had window seats with no windows. The GA said, "no problem." Well, surprise, surprise, when I boarded I found the GA had given me the no-window window seat.

I asked the FA if there was somewhere else I could sit -- anywhere, even a jump seat. She said the flight was completely full. I told her I was going to get off and take another flight -- this was a transcon and I couldn't cope without a window to look out, and I had specifically asked for a window. Well, there was a non-rev who, apparently, heard the conversation and volunteered to switch seats with me (I knew she was a non-rev because she had the lanyard with the tags). I told her she didn't have to as I was alright taking a later flight. She assured me that she didn't mind at all and we switched seats. I thanked her profusely.

I don't recall at this point whether this was on CO or UA, but that non-rev was my angel!
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
I don't recall at this point whether this was on CO or UA, but that non-rev was my angel!
Stop. This is FT where all non-revs do is take away upgrades from 1Ks.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: All the programs!
Last year I had a aisle seat in the back on an AA transcon. I show up to see my seat occupied by a kid with his mom in the middle. She tries to point me across the aisle to the middle seat saying "You can sit there." Sorry but I booked a aisle seat. I think if they hadn't simply taken the seat before hand and the attitude when asked I would have considered switching.

Also, watch this clip from Curb Your Enthusiasm. UA flyers will hear something recognizable beginning around the 1 minute mark.

Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:05 am

Is that what you want? To spend the night in Lubbock, TX as a Days Inn with a $15 voucher from Cinnabon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.