Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I will admit that in the rare instances that I don't have an aisle seat, I will ask around if anyone wants a window and if I can swap. The reason for this is that I drink water constantly on flights and thus need to use the lav every 90 minutes or so. That's not really a medical reason to swap seats, but I view it as legit since I hate asking two people to get up and let me out 2-3 times on a transcon.

I once had a really smelly guy sit down in the middle seat. His friend wanted to sit by him, so I did give up my E+ aisle for second exit row E+ window. That was easy, on the old A320 config, since there was a ton of knee room in the last exit row and you could get in and out of the window seat without the other two passengers in your row having to move.

Another legit reason to move for someone is if the passenger has a young kid and wants a window seat so the kid can look out and hopefully be quiet.

I just don't see the point in playing musical chairs just so you can sit by someone you're traveling with. However, the are legit reasons to try and swap - with the expectation being that you ask once and if there are no takers, you stay put in your assigned seat. Consider it a bonus if people move around for you.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ani90
Of course what is not said is why the FA (or other pax) would choose you as opposed to say 10 or 20 others that are lone travelers to request the switch. Reality is they are often preying on the vulnerable, the nice guys or the passengers they don't like or have less regard for. I bet you they are more likely to pick me to ask, non-American/non european wearing my jeans and scruffy t-shirt and texting on my phone eagerly guzzling my predeparture drink, like its the highlight of my day; as opposed to the obese corporate looking guy in his tie and suspenders, with expensive looking cufflinks, on his mobile phone speaking to his assistant with a high degree of importance in his tone and a loud voice like there is no one else in the plane, and with the wall street journal and a wad of important looking papers in front of him.

They generally shadow the cabin and pick those to ask that they think may say yes, so you clearly looked the part - either you looked too nice, rather unimportant, you looked like someone upgraded or travelling on miles, or they just didn't like you!
ha! I can see that I’m fairly young and on 16hr flights fly on gym shorts and shirt so I’m comfortable.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catocony
Another legit reason to move for someone is if the passenger has a young kid and wants a window seat so the kid can look out and hopefully be quiet.
Maybe it's a legit reason for you to move. It's definitely not a reason, legit or otherwise, that I would move.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Depends on situation... I have been asked a few times to move further back.. and have always promptly suggested that the person seating next to them can switch with my seatmate further upfront ..so that the inquirer can seat next to their flying mate further in the back. Funny enough, they never seem to like that suggestion.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Depends on situation... I have been asked a few times to move further back.. and have always promptly suggested that the person seating next to them can switch with my seatmate further upfront ..so that the inquirer can seat next to their flying mate further in the back. Funny enough, they never seem to like that suggestion.
Right up there with offering them a middle seat
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by PTravel
Maybe it's a legit reason for you to move. It's definitely not a reason, legit or otherwise, that I would move.
I put a big premium on not having a kid screaming, crying and make a constant fuss on a plane. I wouldn't move from the window to a middle seat, but from a window to an aisle should be doable.

Sometimes a move can make your trip better for yourself. If it doesn't, then don't make the move. I'm not about to give up what little comfort I have to make someone else's life easier. There are win-win scenarios though, or at least don't lose - don't lose.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by DCA writer
I moved from 6B to 6D on an sUA 777 flying IAD-BRU a few years ago to let a husband and wife sit together. I was using a friend's GPU that had only cleared the day before, so I had no emotional investment in the seat and I felt like earning some travel karma was the right call. And then I realized that the guy in 6C was an executive at a company I write about, so I spent much of the flight (and much of the five-hour delay that preceded it) talking shop. No regrets about that decision.
Perfect story. That's a great feeling after all.

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Same here on not moving for convenience. 8E is my preferred seat on the pmCO 772. I pick it because I like getting served early and can get then get on with work, sleep, whatever, and have access to the large lav. Particularly on HKG-EWR, when I always order the Express service so I can try to sleep and get back on US ET as soon as possible.

I think the key in the OP's case is that the FA asked, not the passenger, so an answer could be, "(big smile) Hi. This happens often, and I specifically chose this seat when I booked. How about having the passenger sitting next to the other member of the couple to swap with the person sitting next to me" Yes, I realize in this case it was 3 people, so a little harder.

Other alternatives are 1) Pretend to be sleeping (after giving your PDB order first, of course) using a sleep mask or 2) be on a pretend phone call and write random numbers on a piece of paper muttering, "right...okay...uh, huh; hurry up, they're going to close the doors soon...," etc.

If all else fails, there's always hanging a "this seat not available for swap" sign around your neck.
Good strategy, I do that sometimes too.

Originally Posted by powerlifter
I was on a trip from DEL to EWR. I was in premium econ in the aisle. An Indian woman was sitting in the middle seat next to me. Her husband who is in the second middle seat of 8 across tells me he needs my seat to sit next to his wife. I tell him no she starts to cough an act like she was sick. He states I have to give up my seat so he can be next to his wife. I then put on my headphones and start reading. He got the young woman who was sitting in the window seat to give it up. When he got there the wife didn't cough anymore. Funny how she was cured.
This is the prime example of not giving up the seat no matter what. I hate people when they take everything for granted, and the other lady had to cheat her way to make the swap request succeeded.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catocony
I put a big premium on not having a kid screaming, crying and make a constant fuss on a plane. I wouldn't move from the window to a middle seat, but from a window to an aisle should be doable.
I also put a premium on kids not screaming, crying and making a fuss. However, the responsibility for that happening resides solely and exclusively with the parents. Maybe, in the future, they'll learn to be more proactive about seat selection, or even reconsider whether flying with their kid is something they ought to be doing. I don't like aisles for a variety of reasons, and I'm not trading down to accommodate some parent who doesn't care about how much of a nuisance they've caused.

Sometimes a move can make your trip better for yourself. If it doesn't, then don't make the move. I'm not about to give up what little comfort I have to make someone else's life easier. There are win-win scenarios though, or at least don't lose - don't lose.
Exactly. When I fly, I put on my Bose headphones and listen to music from the moment I sit down to the moment I get up. That screens out most cabin noise, including, all but the most basso profundo screaming kids. As for fussing, if that includes intrusion into my space, I'll call over the FA and insist something be done, just as I would with any other pax (and something can include upgrading me or, at least, moving me to a seat that I like as well, or moving the parent and kid to wherever).
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PTravel
I also put a premium on kids not screaming, crying and making a fuss. However, the responsibility for that happening resides solely and exclusively with the parents. Maybe, in the future, they'll learn to be more proactive about seat selection, or even reconsider whether flying with their kid is something they ought to be doing.
... and there we are. The message you replied to is exactly what I was talking about yesterday. Getting THE LOOK from someone who ASSumes my son will be an irritant. I’ll proactively ask someone to swap with me if I’m in such a situation - not to save them from sitting next to my little guy, but because I don’t want him to be stuck next to someone who’ll resent him being there.

I agree with you wholeheartedly; the entire responsibility for a child’s behavior lies with the parent. But that cuts both ways; as much as I take responsibility for his actions, I also take pride in him being a great seat mate.

Even the pilots think he’s pretty awesome to fly with!

Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
... and there we are. The message you replied to is exactly what I was talking about yesterday. Getting THE LOOK from someone who ASSumes my son will be an irritant.
I wasn't talking about your son or, for that matter, anyone else's. The question was, "what happens if a kid screams, cries or fusses." My reply was, it's the parent's responsibility to see that they don't, not mine by switching seats so the kid is amused by looking out the window.

Does your kid scream, cry or fuss? If not, then why attitude? If he does, however, then you ought to think twice about flying with him.

I’ll proactively ask someone to swap with me if I’m in such a situation - not to save them from sitting next to my little guy, but because I don’t want him to be stuck next to someone who’ll resent him being there.
I don't resent anyone sitting next to me, as long as they leave me alone. The post to which I was responding addressed being asked to switch seats from a window to a middle so a kid could look out the window as a "legitimate reason" for switching. I don't consider it a legitimate reason for switching.

I agree with you wholeheartedly; the entire responsibility for a child’s behavior lies with the parent. But that cuts both ways; as much as I take responsibility for his actions, I also take pride in him being a great seat mate.
That's fine. I assure you, I have no interest in your kid, or anyone else who winds up sitting next to me on a plane. As I said, when I sit down, the headphones go on, the music player comes out, and I do my best to think myself somewhere else for the duration of the flight. I'll only notice a seatmate if they invade my space or, in some other way, interfere with me.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I don't get asked often. If the seat is an equal change, 7A to 7F, 21A to 21F, then I dont care. 7F to 28B, then I don't feel bad refusing.

I had a mom get upset and threaten to call the FA if I wouldn't switch because the mom couldnt bear to be apart from her teenage son for a 2hr flight. I told her to go ahead.

The last time time, I was in 7F. Two kids (maybe 8yrs old) in 7DE). Dad in 8A and asked me to switch. I was going to refuse because I like the bulkhead but I reluctantly agreed. I think he saw I didn't look very happy and said something like "it's the same" as I sat down. That didn't make me any happier. Why not offer 8BC, 7DE instead? then they get a bulkhead seat with more legroom.

One other time I refused, it sort of backfired. I was in 7A. A lady with a giant service dog boarded for 10D but the dog wouldnt fit. The FA came to our row asking if anyone wanted to switch. The girl (who was very attractive ) next to me took the deal, for her it was a middle to aisle upgrade and I endured the flight next to the dog. The dog was big enough that its head went under the bulkhead and its tail went under the seat. Basically blocking my egress in an emergency. The lady had to straddle the dog.
Ironically the FA was asking the person in 7C to push her bag further under the bulkhead. I guess dogs trump safety. Anyways, in that situation, had I switched, I'd still have a non-middle seat and wouldn't have had a dog next to me for 4 hours.

I had a colleague who had a window seat and the middle person next to him asked to switch. He ofcourse refused. Later in the flight when he got up to use the lav, the middle seat guy switched to his seat anyways. It was almost time to land so he didn't make a fuss about it. I wonder if he felt like a jerk

Last edited by eng3; Oct 24, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
...A lady with a giant service dog boarded but the dog wouldnt fit...
This is wrong, period.

Everyone should have stood ground.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by radiowell
This is wrong, period.

Everyone should have stood ground.
ha, and the end of the flight, the lady made some comment like "thanks, it takes a village...". My thought was "yeah, we all had to suffer for your own convenience". But that is really the crux of it for many people who ask to change seats. They want to inconvenience you to make them more comfortable.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
...One other time I refused, it sort of backfired. I was in 7A. A lady with a giant service dog boarded for 10D but the dog wouldnt fit. The FA came to our row asking if anyone wanted to switch. The girl (who was very attractive ) next to me took the deal, for her it was a middle to aisle upgrade and I endured the flight next to the dog. The dog was big enough that its head went under the bulkhead and its tail went under the seat. Basically blocking my egress in an emergency. The lady had to straddle the dog.
Ironically the FA was asking the person in 7C to push her bag further under the bulkhead. I guess dogs trump safety. Anyways, in that situation, had I switched, I'd still have a non-middle seat and wouldn't have had a dog next to me for 4 hours...
Interestingly enough when I called (IT support) earlier this week due to a problem with the on-line UG and they had to redo the whole reservation, the phone agent asked me which seats I was in for the return leg (no UG) and I said 7F (bulkhead first row of Y). She informed me she had got that seat for me and then told me she was obliged to inform me that there was no guarantee for the seat in the event there was a need to seat a disabled person in the seat. I didn't really say anything as I was not aware of this rule. Certainly never experienced that in all my 1MM miles of flying UA.

Certainly when I book the seat on-line I do not get any warning about needing to give the seat up for a disabled person.

So it sounds like the FA was correct to make this request if there truly were a service dog with the passenger.

(BTW - I personally would have moved since I have an allergy to dog dander but been upset about the middle seat swap.)
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I
I had a colleague who had a window seat and the middle person next to him asked to switch. He ofcourse refused. Later in the flight when he got up to use the lav, the middle seat guy switched to his seat anyways. It was almost time to land so he didn't make a fuss about it. I wonder if he felt like a jerk
Your colleague should have found a FA and informed him/her of the situation and request that they order the seatmate to get back in his own seat.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 26, 2017 at 12:15 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.