Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle a seat change request? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by powerlifter
I was on a trip from DEL to EWR. I was in premium econ in the aisle. An Indian woman was sitting in the middle seat next to me. Her husband who is in the second middle seat of 8 across tells me he needs my seat to sit next to his wife. I tell him no she starts to cough an act like she was sick. He states I have to give up my seat so he can be next to his wife. I then put on my headphones and start reading. He got the young woman who was sitting in the window seat to give it up. When he got there the wife didn't cough anymore. Funny how she was cured.
I was on AF once in the PE section, left side aisle. Guy comes in using crutches, has the window seat next to me. I politely decline. He grumbles but sits down. FA takes his crutches and stows them. He never once used them throughout the flight during his many trips to the lav.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:00 am
Suspended

I look at them and pretend I don't understand English....sounds mean but it works.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I am a big guy that really needs my E+ aisle seat. So, I book them several months in advance.

Usually I get asked to swap to a middle seat.

So, after several uncomfortable interactions, I now have a canned 'lie'. I say that I just had a hip replacement and have to sit in that aisle seat so that I can occasionally stretch my leg into the aisle. People are always so sympathetic now.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I have never been asked to switch to a "worse" seat, so when asked, I have always accommodated, with one exception. I had been upgraded to first, and was in row 3. The woman next to me asked if I would mind switching with her husband who was in row 1. Normally I would do this in a heartbeat, but I had both a roll-aboard and a backpack, and I needed the under-seat storage for my backpack (bins were full). She understood. A few minutes later, they called my wife up with an upgrade. The woman next to me willingly swapped with my wife so I could sit with her. I felt bad that I couldn't accommodate the request in this case. But sometimes it just doesn't work logistically.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Once....

YYZ-YVR....in Y on AC.
It was a bulkhead 2 seat config.
Guy next to me was a small dude from somewhere in SEA, his english wasn't that good.
he asked if he could swap my aisle for his window...I said no I booked this seat because I don't like climbing over people.
Turns out this guy was an extremely nervous flyer.
At first I thought it was a put on, but by hour 2 I could tell this guy was in real distress even being this close to the window.
I offered up my seat but by then he declined.
So once and only once...yes i felt like a jerk
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I had a recent situation where I was sitting in an aisle seat in cattle class in a 3 3 configuration plane. This girl shows up 2 seconds before the doors close and asks if I would switch with her—she’s in the middle seat next to me. I politely tell her sorry I can’t do that and she proceeds to tell me “well I’m claustrophobic so if you won’t switch I’ll have to make the flight attendant switch us”. I simply told her the only way I’m getting out of that seat is if United security guards forcibly drag me off the plane. All I know is she never came back after she went to talk to the FA.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PTravel
For the sake of playing devil's advocate, wouldn't "a minimum of fuss" suggest taking your assigned seat?
Agreed, but I've been subject to enough people making a Big Deal about having to sit immediately next to their spouse/girlfriend/emotional support streetworker/whathaveyou -- that if it means I've got to be the bigger person and make a small change, then fine .. a few micro points of karma won't hurt anyway.

Assuming the same class and roughly the same location, I agree that aisle (or window) would be considered "better" than any middle. I'm curious, about the, "so you won't have to sit next to my son" part. As a rule, I neither note nor care who I am sitting next to unless they're doing something that's an imposition. It certainly doesn't bother me to sit next a child provided they're old enough to look after their own needs, entertain themselves, etc. I remember one flight where I was seated next to an 8 year old UM who was a better seatmate than some adult pax. Why the implied downside ("threat" is too strong a word)?
Honestly, it's because I've seen, many times, "THE LOOK".... The one where people look at him and think "oh, great, a KID..."

As you've implied - he's definitely a way better seatmate than most adults. He's polite, courteous, doesn't make a mess, is willing to share his nut ramekin and sits there quietly watching movies. Pretty awesome traveler, to be honest. All he's ever asked for us to get up once every few hours to use the lavatory. I'll fly with him anywhere... but to be frank the reason I'll switch is because if someone asks, I know that I don't want my son sitting next to some assumptive jerk who thinks they know him better than I do ...

We just had quite a long discussion about this in another thread. The concerns about asking mostly came down to two: some people have trouble saying "no," (and that's really what started this thread), and, at least for me, if I'm settled in, have my headphones on, music playing and my eyes are closed, it's rude to tap me on the shoulder and bother me to ask. You seem like a courteous person, so I doubt the latter is an issue, but I raise it because it's happened to me before (though I have no trouble saying, "no").
Agreed. Another reason to board as late as possible, were it not for overhead bin space. Another discussion for another time ...

If all pax were like you, I'd agree. Unfortunately, my experience with people asking for swaps (I've never asked for one -- when I fly with my wife or business associates, if we're not seated together, so be it) has been uniformly negatives, i.e. poachers, attitude, arguments, etc. When I fly, my social contract reads, "I'll leave you alone, so please leave me alone, unless it's a true emergency in which case please let me know so that I may help."
Thanks for the compliments - if we're all going to be stuck in the aluminum tube for half a day together, the least we can do is be respectful of each other. I'm sorry your experience has been negative - but I swear to you the only reason I'd ever ask is because I thought it would prevent a possible situation. If I'm not next to my wife, that's fine, she's a big girl and doesn't need me every second of every day anyway. My son doesn't need me either but I know there's plenty of people out there who see a kid without a helicopter parent and assume they're going to puke on them or something. I'd rather not subject my son sitting next to those people.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:43 am
Suspended

I NEVER feel like a jerk, and I NEVER switch.

Sure, I might if someone offered a better seat. But that has yet to happen in years of flying.

These days those primo seats are booked and paid for in advance. I am not going to give it up with out a refund of my money PLUS a profit if possible.

Couples in particular, who are adults, don't usually have to sit together..they WANT to sit together. Wants and needs are not the same thing.

If it's so important to them, they should have booked together.

If they did but there were problems like IRROPs...I feel bad. But it's still not my problem to solve.

As to feeling like a jerk...remember, you will never see those people again and what they think of you doesn't matter. If onlookers think you are a jerk, or say something, ask them why they are not giving up THEIR seat instead.

And due to the impudence of asking someone to give up a primo seat to unite a couple, I have no problem sitting next to an angry person. I actually enjoy watching them steam about it. It's like they are being punished.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
I have done it twice recently on longhaul j. Once at cc request and once I volunteered when I realised a my seatmate was seperated from her partner. Both times to inferior seats. The inferiority of the seat was more than offset by the gratitude of those people and the knowledge I have significantly improved their days. Each to their own
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by brentford77
I have done it twice recently on longhaul j. Once at cc request and once I volunteered when I realised a my seatmate was seperated from her partner. Both times to inferior seats. The inferiority of the seat was more than offset by the gratitude of those people and the knowledge I have significantly improved their days. Each to their own
+1
+1
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
The cause? Getting where we have to go with a minimum of fuss. At the end of the day, the plane is just a conveyance - a means to an end. Let’s get this thing moving so we can get it over with. That’s the cause..
Next time you fly, make sure you select a middle seat in the last row of E- so everyone else can have a better seat.

Also, remember to give the guy next to you your lunch money.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
I will never get a Better seat C cabin. they can be blue, yellow, green on any other color my answer will be a a loud no.

I will point out that most people will not give up their seat in C cabin. why would you be uncomfortable in a long haul flight to please a total stranger?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
They should have asked the non-bulkhead aisle right next to the non-bulkhead window row. That guy/lady might be ok to sit next to you, considering it's bulkhead aisle at the other side.
I have often moved when asked although like you, I had chosen my special seat well in advance. Most flyers do not like the bulk head, but those who do (like me) really want it.

The person in the other row had probably already been asked and declined to move too.

There had to be other single flyers who they could have asked. It looks like these two people wanted the bulk head too!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RolfD
I will never get a Better seat C cabin. they can be blue, yellow, green on any other color my answer will be a a loud no.

I will point out that most people will not give up their seat in C cabin. why would you be uncomfortable in a long haul flight to please a total stranger?
I think seat swaps within C are different than C to Y (which is insane). Those of us who get upgrades late are at the mercy of the seat map anwyays, so I'm more accommodating in C, as they're all 'good' (yes, with those exceptions, like limited recline Row 4/5 or no space Row 1). It's all about the particulars.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Years ago, I had booked my wife an award ticket in F on a connecting flight (domestic) to attend an event in which our daughter was participating. As it turned out, she ended up on the same connecting flight as our daughter. When she found out, my wife asked her seat-mate if he would allow her to get out so that she could go back into Y to switch seats with whoever was sitting next to our daughter (I'm sure they would have been happy to move up to F).

Instead this generous man went back and switched with our daughter and allowed her to come up to his first-class seat. It was a gesture that we remember even many years later. The best thank-you my wife could come up with was to send a box of chocolates (in her carry on) via the FA back to the man who had made the switch.

I would never ask someone to give up a superior seat for an inferior. But occasionally this example set by this man makes me want to do whatever I can to make someone else's day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.