Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:02 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
You’re nicer than me. Normally I wouldn’t mind changing seats, but not if I’m going to give up legroom
or change seating class.

May Karma come back your way in spades.
Ya, that extra legroom seat was paid for, either by status (which is not free) or paying Ca$h.

That is an awfully long flight to be stuck in an undesirable seat Especially when planning it in advance.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mfirst
not sure if this is best suited for a poll - but want to get people's thoughts on this.

Yesterday - OOG-SFO (afternoon flight) that I was taking for work....finished work in the morning and need to take this flight to be at work this morning
no upgrade or even reasonable WFBF options - limited E+ seating even with tickets purchased a month ago
but was able to score 777 bulkhead aisle seat in the rear cabin that had nice leg room (I am 6 ft, lean) and got on early due to status and had room for my briefcase/work carryon (which includes stuff that can not be checked)
as I was getting comfortable - a young woman who was assigned the seat next to me (which had been one of the few last empty seats on a full flight) at the last minute (was open 2-3 hours prior) - asked me if I would change seats with her son so that they could sit together....she said that she couldnt change with the person next to her son because it was a family of 3 in the middle row and her son had an aisle seat about 10 rows up.....

how could I say no?
(hence part of this post)

so, I change seats - the plan has already boarded, there is no overhead space for my briefcase which then needed to be stored under my general E seat for the now cramped flight......

I have various thoughts on this.....but see what others think or would have done.
I'll echo the "you deserve plenty of good karma for this" comment shared earlier.

My default answer would have been 'no,' all things considered. However, lots of flight cancellations recently. It's entirely possible she actually planned ahead and had her family seated together, then her flight was cancelled due to any of the reasons flights around the USA have been cancelled in the recent week, and now they are put on the next available flight in whatever seat possible. I'd have more sympathy in that case.

That's way too detailed to ask about in the moment, though. I'd probably say no, and if she volunteered any info about a previous flight cancellation, I'd change my calculus and switch.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
not sure if this is best suited for a poll - but want to get people's thoughts on this.

Yesterday - OOG-SFO (afternoon flight) that I was taking for work....finished work in the morning and need to take this flight to be at work this morning
no upgrade or even reasonable WFBF options - limited E+ seating even with tickets purchased a month ago
but was able to score 777 bulkhead aisle seat in the rear cabin that had nice leg room (I am 6 ft, lean) and got on early due to status and had room for my briefcase/work carryon (which includes stuff that can not be checked)
as I was getting comfortable - a young woman who was assigned the seat next to me (which had been one of the few last empty seats on a full flight) at the last minute (was open 2-3 hours prior) - asked me if I would change seats with her son so that they could sit together....she said that she couldnt change with the person next to her son because it was a family of 3 in the middle row and her son had an aisle seat about 10 rows up.....

how could I say no?

so, I change seats - the plan has already boarded, there is no overhead space for my briefcase which then needed to be stored under my general E seat for the now cramped flight......

I have various thoughts on this.....but see what others think or would have done.
Nope. Not a chance. She should have paid to have assigned seats together.
If that wasn’t possible, then take a different flight.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No way I would have done this - hopefully you get good karma in the future, but next time just say no.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I think I would have flagged down a flight attendant, helped the woman explain her situation, and also explain that I needed space to be able to work on the flight which is why I selected that particular seat in advance. Worst case I'd end up taking the offered swap, more likely case is that the FA figures out something that works well for everyone, best case would be some kind of battlefield upgrade or at least preferential treatment by the cabin crew for the rest of the flight.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by bocastephen
No way I would have done this - hopefully you get good karma in the future, but next time just say no.
How old was the boy?
SPN Lifer and benfro6 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Ya, that extra legroom seat was paid for, either by status (which is not free) or paying Ca$h.

That is an awfully long flight to be stuck in an undesirable seat Especially when planning it in advance.
The one time I can distinctly recall turning down such a request is when I, too was in a bulkhead seat, on a transcon, that I had booked months in advance. Granted the potential beneficiary in my case was not as sympathetic (she had actually try to poach my seat rather than ask first), but I think I even in the case of your nicer seatmate, I would have given the identical answer: "I'm sorry, I specifically booked this seat months in advance because I wanted room to sleep" (or because you are over 6', which is practically a disability when in Y). I can understand why the woman naturally turned to you first, but I am also guessing that without too much difficulty she could have found someone in the front of the cabin quite near her son, even if not directly next to him, who would be willing to swap for her extra legroom seat. And that might be what I suggested to her in those circumstances.

That said, in your scenario the age of the child would likely play a role in my response (i.e. the younger the child, the more sympathetic I might be).
SPN Lifer, drewguy and 8MiHi like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
I am also guessing that without too much difficulty she could have found someone in the front of the cabin quite near her son, even if not directly next to him, who would be willing to swap for her extra legroom seat. And that might be what I suggested to her in those circumstances.

That said, in your scenario the age of the child would likely play a role in my response (i.e. the younger the child, the more sympathetic I might be).
Heat of the battle totally understand OP agreeing, and I might too. But you're right - if son has an aisle, he likely could have swapped to the aisle on window bank, and had the person in the middle agree to a bulkhead middle for mom. But more moving parts.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
a young woman who was assigned the seat next to me (which had been one of the few last empty seats on a full flight) at the last minute (was open 2-3 hours prior) - asked me if I would change seats with her son so that they could sit together....she said that she couldnt change with the person next to her son because it was a family of 3 in the middle row and her son had an aisle seat about 10 rows up.....
Not familiar with the seat configuration, could the woman have offered the middle or window in your row an aisle 10 rows up (I would gladly take that even with less leg room, but I am a rabid aisle kind of guy)
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
the boy looked about 8-10 years/old - she didnt look that old and it was just the 2 of them.
I got the sense that neither were savvy travelers to arrange seats in advance or realize the differences between the 2 seats - remember, this not far from the last seat on the plane and there were not too many other available pairs
I thought about getting the FA involved after I moved - but they looked swamped with a plane full of young families who looked like most had never traveled before and many felt the need to somehow bring on board everything they owned.... the entire trip was a zoo and hats off to the FA for maintaining some control.....

yes, it was very hard to be "that guy" to say no.... but it was a little frustrating (although - and maybe this was the karma - the FA did give me some extra free drinks which helped ease the pain)
.... and unrelated, but I also just posted the question - I couldnt get the IFE to work.....
ZenFlyer and 8MiHi like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott

how could I say no?
I just say “no thanks.” It’s an issue for United to handle.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I just say “no thanks.” It’s an issue for United to handle.
This.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:18 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by manstein58
How old was the boy?
Wouldn't matter to me - it's United's problem, not mine. I am not going to inconvenience myself because people refuse to pay up for seats together. If they are on the flight due to IRROPS with no chance to select seats, then it's United's problem to entice non-Elite customers to move seats. Elite customers should never be asked or required to change seats involuntarily.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 11:09 pm

Was on KE in window seat economy and a family wanted to switch my seat with a middle seat somewhere.
Said No right away.
Didnt feel bad about it at all.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1k
We flew TATL overnight and I had managed to snag a pair of honeymoon seats in Polaris. The couple behind us had a small baby. They were technically sitting next to each but the large seat separation on the non-honeymoon pairs made this really awkward for them. We proactively offered them to switch and they were utterly delighted. It was a minor inconvenience for us (after being married for 30+ years we can cope for a few hours ) but a great benefit for the couple.

So I'm happy to switch for what I perceive to be a "real need" (when I see it) but in general I feel it's the airlines responsibility to sort of seating problems, especially if they create them in the first place.

Added benefit: the baby appeared to be happy and quiet all night. The baby slept "like a baby"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.