Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2023, 4:09 am

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
When my child finished boot camp when I flew out to ORD he asked me to bring civilian clothing as he had to ship his clothing home when he first got to bootcamp. His first leave weekend (after PIR) he was required to wear his uniform all weekend. The civilian clothing was for A school leave. When I see a young person in military uniform I swap my seat for their seat.
I would do the same in a heartbeat out of my little outstation of PNS, but there are soo many new recruits coming in and out (with all our stations/bases around here) of PNS it would not be fair to select one more than another as they are all going to be our heroes one day.

I agree with your premise. Problem here is 30-40% of a single flight could be all military recruits which is somewhat normal coming into PNS on certain flights (mostly on DL)

I would do the same. No politics here, just how it is on DL around here.

Off topic: I can't tell you how many flights I have been on coming back into PNS with military coffins on them. So sad, and when I leave the plane I stay there and wait till the family and their lost one have moved away from the tarmac before leaving the terminal. Brings tears to my eyes every time...
Old Nov 24, 2023, 9:05 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
although this is the topic of "changing seats" - a little off the specific topics
I have tried to offer military in uniform my F seat a few times - and I recall having a bunch of drink coupons years ago and tried to give them away in ORD when I saw a bunch of guys/gals shipping out
- a few have told me that they are not allowed to take any such benefits

nevertheless - this is why I strongly agree and feel that the perks they do get from UA are well deserved..... thank you
Old Nov 24, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
Again, while the topic may be going a little off, maybe the Mods will turn a blind eye for a moment.
I can recount several stories over my years of being in uniform, but I tell anyone who will listen to me to graciously accept offers, to the extent legal, in the spirit they are intended.
I came to this realization when hanging out with 10s of thousands of my newest friends at ATL during a weather delay. I was sitting on the floor, kind of out of the way, in my utility uniform eating some ice cream. An elderly woman came up to me and said she wanted to pay for my ice cream. I demurred, but the conversation went and she had a son or grandson in the military. It was then that I realized, and I tell my people this, that for that moment, I was the proxy, and that I would want any person my mother offered the same to, to understand the same thing. I tell them, "at that moment, you are not you. You are their daughter/son/nephew/etc, so just play the part politely."
Besides, that crap about not accepting anything is probably urban legend and I hate that. No one ever has the guts to say "show me in the regs" and it just sticks...
My $.02.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 2:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by huey_driver
Again, while the topic may be going a little off, maybe the Mods will turn a blind eye for a moment. ... .
OK, but it is time to return to the topic " How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?"

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Dec 1, 2023, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
someone actually had the nerve to dare ask you to give up your J seat for coach??? Are they nuts?
He tried to say he wanted to swap my seat for his wife's "further back. I was in the bulkhead and he was in row 2. I assume the person seated next to him had already refused. I asked where she was and he replied again "further back" gesturing, well, further back, on the left-hand side of the plane, where I was now sitting. There was no one who fit the description of "wife" in the remaining rows of business class on our side of the plane - two women, each of whom was clearly not with him. So I declined and he started sputtering and I ignored him and let him sputter.

O/H
SPN Lifer, bocastephen and abaheti like this.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
He tried to say he wanted to swap my seat for his wife's "further back. I was in the bulkhead and he was in row 2. I assume the person seated next to him had already refused. I asked where she was and he replied again "further back" gesturing, well, further back, on the left-hand side of the plane, where I was now sitting. There was no one who fit the description of "wife" in the remaining rows of business class on our side of the plane - two women, each of whom was clearly not with him. So I declined and he started sputtering and I ignored him and let him sputter.

O/H
Entire industries are built around "No one in a million years would do this, but if we ask millions of people, a few will agree"...
Old Dec 1, 2023, 8:44 pm

Wife, 3 yo daughter, and I all cleared battlefield upgrades ORD-LHR during boarding, and were seated apart (Polaris cabin on 767). Our daughter is a great flyer and with the iPad and headphones probably couldn’t have cared less, but I politely asked the FA if there was a way that either my wife or I could sit where we were able to see her. The FA in turn politely asked a gentleman sitting in the odd numbered aisle seat near my daughter’s even numbered window if he would be willing to switch. Flight ended up going Mx but the gentleman and his wife were extremely kind, and we ended up bumping into them in the Polaris lounge the following day for our rebooked flight.

I thought it was better to ask the FA than the fellow passenger directly on the grounds that it would be less pressure on the fellow pax. (I would have a tougher time telling a family no than to tell the FA no). She was also very good about how she handled it, in that she asked him in a way where it was very clear he could say no.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by physioprof
Entire industries are built around "No one in a million years would do this, but if we ask millions of people, a few will agree"...
Oh, no joke, but I'm in the not-few who will say GTFO with that crazy BS.

O/H
kirkwoodj and IMissThe747 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
Finding myself on the other side of this topic, I was grateful to hear the comments here because it helped me formulate a plan.
HH-6 and I were headed to Belize (IAD-IAH-BZE) two weeks ago and got stuck in a pretty heavy snowstorm in DC. Our inbound Dreamliner was on time, but it came from Africa and the bigger problem was with everyone getting to work that day. It took us 1:15 at least to get to Dulles for what should have been a 20 minute ride. The cleaning and inspection crew (for international arrival) was late getting done. By then, long story short, we were delayed several hours for various things, mostly pushback to head to deicing, and missed our IAH connection.
Before we left, I got the online agent to protect us in J on the first flight out of IAH the next morning. There were only 2 seats left, both aisle, and I had been watching the seatmap as my alternate plan and knew those were booked early (at least a week) so it was probably a preferred seat.
The next morning, I took 1E, she took 4B, but I took a quick chance when 4A showed up to ask her if she would mind switching. I was very honest up front, told her it was an aisle, and that she had obviously preferred a window, but also a bulkhead. She was hesitant, said she planned on sleeping and preferred the window. I quickly said it was no problem, and I usually do the same. We went back and forth with the "sorry" and "no problem!" a couple times and my wife finally said "this is fine, I'm staying here." This proclamation was all that was needed to not bother my seatmate.
Very simple, but all the stories here helped me develop my speech in a friendly manner and to understand how to ask in a nice way.
Incidentally, one of my last flights as a 1K (I join the platinum ranks tomorrow). As the flight attendants were trying to set up the IFE (MAX8) for the safety video, I caught a brief glimpse of the seat map on their video screen on the wall next to the door. All the seats were pastel blue, except for two that were pink... 1E and 4B. Thought that was kind of cool. AND, before anyone else, the FA went strait back to her for her lunch order, then came to me. I profusely thanked her for taking such good care of us. I'll miss 1K, but I am winding down travel prior to retirement. And I already got a T-96 upgrade for a flight tomorrow (9 of 20 booked) and Sunday (J7) so maybe my routes will be lucky (as long as I stay off mainline!)...

Last edited by huey_driver; Feb 1, 2024 at 6:07 am
Old Apr 7, 2024, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold
We have 1A and 5F (last row, full recline, 21N) - is it better to ask for swapping 1B/5F vs 1A/5E? If we get a no, it's fine but I just want to see which swap is more reasonable
Old Apr 7, 2024, 11:32 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by leftysauce
We have 1A and 5F (last row, full recline, 21N) - is it better to ask for swapping 1B/5F vs 1A/5E? If we get a no, it's fine but I just want to see which swap is more reasonable
Personally on the A321N, I think row 1 is the better seat by far. I am not a real fan of the other rows... in that barely anything fits under the seat and when the person in front reclines, it's very difficult for most people to get out from the window seat without bumping into everything. I've sat in row 3 and 4 for meal flights and when the person in front slammed the seat back during meal service, the entertainment screen hit my bread roll on the tray. So row 1 definitely the better and that's what I'd offer the other person...
Old Apr 8, 2024, 2:19 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by physioprof
sums up my single bar life , except I haven’t met the few yet.

on topic, after greeting my crew on boarding “ good morning crew!” I tell them since I’m flying single I’m flexible if they need to reseat couples. I love my window seats but couples who like each other, sit together. I didn’t really believe in karma until I won The lottery the second time.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Last edited by LaserSailor; Apr 8, 2024 at 2:26 am
Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:30 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
sums up my single bar life , except I haven’t met the few yet.

on topic, after greeting my crew on boarding “ good morning crew!” I tell them since I’m flying single I’m flexible if they need to reseat couples. I love my window seats but couples who like each other, sit together. I didn’t really believe in karma until I won The lottery the second time.
I've never thought of that but it's a good idea. In a premium cabin I'm generally good with any seat when flying alone. I'm a bit more discerning in Y, but am usually happy to move like for like.
LaserSailor likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 12:24 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Jaysonb22
I've never thought of that but it's a good idea. In a premium cabin I'm generally good with any seat when flying alone. I'm a bit more discerning in Y, but am usually happy to move like for like.
Even when you dont move, you just let the FA know you are willing to make their trip a little easier. Its amazing how that pays back.

Thank you for being GS, Dr Abscate - which meal would you like?
I like the pasta, but if you run short, Ill eat whatever is leftover. Please give the other pax there choice first.

I have actually been hugged for saying that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.