Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
If I happen to board first I’ll usually sit in the wrong seat but have my bag in my lap and not settle in while trying to make eye contact. I’ll then quickly say would you mind if I sat here my seat is this one (again it’s generally across the aisle or right in front or back of where I am).
Personally - if you were already in my seat that is in almost all cases - an automatic no unless somehow/someway my seat was an inferior seat - and that generally never happens.

I'll consider swapping for another aisle (a window seat is a hard no) - or if Polaris seating, don't ask me to swap to an angled seat (they just seem smaller to me) and don't ask me to go multiple rows behind me.

While it may seem harsh - everyone will survive if not seated together.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: A few here and there
Flying from SFO to ORD a few weeks ago, 789 was swapped from a new to an old config. Traveling alone and was moved four times accommodate couples traveling together. I really felt bad for the flight crew as they were so confused when they came to take orders. Normally I'm happy to swap once or twice assuming the seat was the same, but it was getting a little out of control. Got to the point where couples were arguing with each other about which set of two each should take.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet
Flying from SFO to ORD a few weeks ago, 789 was swapped from a new to an old config. Traveling alone and was moved four times accommodate couples traveling together. I really felt bad for the flight crew as they were so confused when they came to take orders. Normally I'm happy to swap once or twice assuming the seat was the same, but it was getting a little out of control. Got to the point where couples were arguing with each other about which set of two each should take.
Ah, the happy partnered SFO-ans.

David
Old Jan 8, 2022, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JC5280
I am surprised you put your laptop in an overhead bin. In my 20+ years of traveling, I lost count of how many times I watched another traveler lob their heavy roll-aboard in to an overhead bin and in to a fragile laptop. Sometimes you hear the crack of a screen, sometimes you don't. But either way, the laptop almost always loses this fight, and I would imagine the damage isn't always discovered right away. In fact, Ive watched some flight attendants ask people to hold their laptop bag at their seat (mostly because they have seen this too) to avoid this happening.

And overhead bins are cleaned far less frequently than carpets, if at all. The bins are actually not even part of the cleaning SOP, other than lose items, so I would recommend you reconsidering your logic there.
i carry my laptop in a small (just a bit larger than the laptop itself), well-padded laptop bag. If I think I might use it during the flight, I’ll put it under the seat in front of me - it fits - but if not, I prefer to have it in the overhead if possible. I never put it in there until boarding is complete - that way, I can avoid it being harmed, and since it is pretty small, I can put it upright. Has always worked for me. Not too worried when the bins are pretty full, since there’s little movement of the bags to one side of the other during take off/landing.

same thing with my small backpack, prefer in overhead, but can get away with it under seat. There’s almost always room once the bins are loaded with rollers, inbetween, etc. i don’t want to be the guy with a small backpack taking up room the a roller can fit in - much easier for me to hang onto it for a bit, then get it in there after the rollers, and there is still room.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 3:11 pm

I generally don't mind swapping for a roughly equivalent seat and will usually move if asked. I don't really care how I am asked as long as the request is made politely.

One time that I refused to move was when an FA, who was trying to get a family seated together, asked me to move from a Y+ to a Y- seat on a 9-hour flight to HNL. She was polite, but that didn't help.
SPN Lifer, uanj, stanj and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by threeoh
Serious question: for those of you who don't mind swapping like-for-like if asked nicely, but object to someone "poaching" your seat, what is the best way for the person who wants to swap to ask? You want them to wait until you are fully settled in and have unpacked your bag, etc.? And if not, where are they supposed to wait to pop the question just as you arrive at your seat?

Obviously a poacher who has fully settled in, unpacked their bag, used the pillow, etc. is very rude / trying to make it hard for you to say no. But on the flip side letting the original person in the seat fully settle in before asking (e.g. waiting until boarding is complete) seems like a mistake too.

The one time in the past decade I've asked someone to swap (me + partner separated due to irrops), I just "perched" in his seat (bag on lap, didn't take my coat off) and when he arrived I just said "hey would you be willing to switch for another aisle further forward so I can sit next to my partner?" and he said "yeah no problem", took a look at my boarding pass, and then went and sat in my assigned seat. (I did make sure we were offering a seat further forward in the plane since most people prefer that, and obviously I would have moved without fuss if he had declined.)

Was I DYKWIA? What is best practice here?
I always sit in my assigned seat and wait for the other person to show up, then ask.

Originally Posted by manstein58
All interesting. If I'm on a 737 or equivalent., I always try to book 1A or 1F. Little more space, easier to get to the head without bothering your seatmate. Usually say no to requests to swap unless a kid's involved. And call me old-fashioned but, when traveling with spouse or kids, I always try to buy seats side-by-side. If I cannot do that, I would never ask someone to swap seats.
I've booked flights that were only 50% full, but literally had a staggered layout of open seats, like 1B, 1F, 2A, 2E, 3B, 3F etc.

In that case, I take something like 2A 2E, knowing that either 2B or 2F should have no issue swapping since they're getting an equivalent seat in the same row.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
I generally don't mind swapping for a roughly equivalent seat and will usually move if asked. I don't really care how I am asked as long as the request is made politely.

One time that I refused to move was when an FA, who was trying to get a family seated together, asked me to move from a Y+ to a Y- seat on a 9-hour flight to HNL. She was polite, but that didn't help.
IMO a FA should never ask a customer to make such a swap unless the Y+ seat was a middle and the Y- would have been aisle or window or have an empty seat next to it. OTOH, if the FA had been asking a nonrev to take the worse seat, that would be OK, although AFAIK a GA (and maybe the FA) could have ordered the nonrev to move.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I take something like 2A 2E, knowing that either 2B or 2F should have no issue swapping since they're getting an equivalent seat in the same row.
Some people have a great aversion to having the sun shine directly in their eyes or on their laptop screen, and prefer the shaded side of the aircraft.

Your proposed exchange is least likely to succeed shortly after sunrise or before sunset, unless you are giving up the "better" seat.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Personally - if you were already in my seat that is in almost all cases - an automatic no unless somehow/someway my seat was an inferior seat - and that generally never happens.

I'll consider swapping for another aisle (a window seat is a hard no) - or if Polaris seating, don't ask me to swap to an angled seat (they just seem smaller to me) and don't ask me to go multiple rows behind me.

While it may seem harsh - everyone will survive if not seated together.
that’s fine I just think you’re wrong to reject so quickly based on “taking the seat”. I’ll be honest I never knew that was so strongly friended upon but I also am extremely cognizant of seat selection so if I am split I usually take a similar and/or far superior seat with hopes to trade

Originally Posted by canadiancow

I've booked flights that were only 50% full, but literally had a staggered layout of open seats, like 1B, 1F, 2A, 2E, 3B, 3F etc.

In that case, I take something like 2A 2E, knowing that either 2B or 2F should have no issue swapping since they're getting an equivalent seat in the same row.
this is exactly what I’ve done. If I’m sitting in 2E (your seat) are you really making me move to 2B with my partner in 2F? I’m only in 2E to help streamline boarding and I am not “unpacked”
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 9, 2022 at 1:28 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 9, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Some people have a great aversion to having the sun shine directly in their eyes or on their laptop screen, and prefer the shaded side of the aircraft.

Your proposed exchange is least likely to succeed shortly after sunrise or before sunset, unless you are giving up the "better" seat.
So glad you mentioned this! I actually use this site SunFlight.net - Day and Night Flight Map to check where the sun is during my flight, because I like the window seat but have a sensitivity to direct sun, and which side the sun is on does matter to me esp. during those times of day you mention.

(and now that I think of it, there are actually many factors to choose a particular seat vs another even though they may seem “like for like”, e,g. one side will have a particular view of something, or a row is missing a window. Might seem trivial to some but not to others)

Once someone asked me to trade a seat (I think I had a window) on a transcon in order to sit with his daughter and I agreed to it. I *assumed* he also had a window if he were asking to trade, but actually he and his daughter both had middles! Needless to say I was quite irked, and from then on I always double check which seat someone is asking me to change to even if it feels awkward.
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I boarded at the last minute on an A319 & rounded the corner to a late 20 something male sitting in my seat 1B. When he saw the confused look on my face, he asked if it was my seat and if I wouldn't mind switching as 1A was his 12 year old sister. I agreed, as keeping minors with parents or family is something I generally agree with. They were late upgrades, so they were split across the cabin. I ended up in 3E with under seat storage for my backpack, so that was a plus.

The only downside was I had to "remind" the FA during meal selection (my choice had run out) that I was 1K and if anyone was not going to get their 1st choice, it would be the gentlemen now sitting in my original seat 1B (He was not 1K).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by FlyngSvyr; Jan 9, 2022 at 10:05 am
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
I never poach someone else’s seat. I board, then I approach the person who is sitting in the seat I’d like to sit in, explain the reason, and hope he/she is willing to change.
I'd like more details here. Imagine you're in 25C and you want to be in 45C and give the guy in 45C your seat.

You sit in 25C and then what? Run back and check 45C every few minutes? Wait till the end of boarding?

(I agree if your partner is in 45B you can have them ask for you. If it's your 5yo, then...you leave your 5yo in 45B? Stand in 45C but don't sit down (even with bag on lap)?)
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Most emphatic "no" to a seat swap request: Island Hopper, paid J, in 3F. Husband and wife aisle across from each other on HNL-MAJ segment, and wife (boarded after I did) asked me to take an aisle seat. I (politely) pointed to my digital camera, already out and poised to take pictures, and explained why I was taking the Hopper in the first place. She grumbled much of the flight, and I was glad they departed at MAJ.
SPN Lifer and elsaglass like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway

I've also proactively offered my seat when I've seen a couple being separated. Biz travel is different from personal travel.
Did this last week. Saw a couple in 2A and 1E and I was in 2B on a 319. I asked the woman in 1E if she would prefer 2B and I got a big smile.
AirbusFan2B and VRFast like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Most emphatic "no" to a seat swap request: Island Hopper, paid J, in 3F. Husband and wife aisle across from each other on HNL-MAJ segment, and wife (boarded after I did) asked me to take an aisle seat. I (politely) pointed to my digital camera, already out and poised to take pictures, and explained why I was taking the Hopper in the first place. She grumbled much of the flight, and I was glad they departed at MAJ.
DYKWIA person!
tarheelnj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.