Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
That's my cutoff. That pretty much results in "Sorry, that's my seat and I'm not interested in swapping". Once the offender is out of the seat, I also mention I might have considered a swap if he/she hadn't just presumed to take it. Hopefully it's a learning experience for them. I've only had to do this I think twice, luckily, in my years of flying. A couple of others seemed to have honestly misidentified their assigned seats (or are good actors).
Yep, game over here too. If someone has enough rude balls to assume I'd change by sitting in my seat they are out even before a syllable leaves their rude mouth. I don't care if your wife has 1 arm and is about to have a baby, get your arse out of my seat and back to yours.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by SFO_UGS
You get an "A+" for being polite and helpful. I would get an "F." It's not my responsibility to solve their problem. Once reason I fly United is that I can select my seat. And when I can't get the seat I want, I take a different flight.

What burns me the most are people who PURPOSELY seat in an unassigned seat and "pretend" they're in the right seat. Or worse, people who do the same thing in order seat next to their [insert wife, husband, mother, significant other] and then assume the person who is correctly assigned to the seat will say "OK" when that person boards the plane. Even worse, when the offender is a IK or GS and pretend to have that baffled look when you say "no." It just infuriates me! I don't raise my voice; I just say "no" with no explanation. No additional conversation from me is required or needed.

Long ago, when I said, "no," the guy half of the couple said he would speak to the FA. I laughed to myself. Yeah, right. The FA will ask me to move? I don't think so, but give it a try. :-) The wife ended up sitting next to me and I never saw him, again. On my recent Christmas bound SFO-IAD, the female part of the couple "pretended" I was in the wrong seat. She: "Oh. You're sitting on the aisle?" (757, first class.) Me: I just stared at her and thought: You know damn well your husband is in the aisle seat across from me and you're in window seat next to me. She: "Oh. We're traveling together." Me: Just stared. Husband: "It's OK, Mary. Let's see if the other person will switch." But what does she do? She sits next to her husband - the seat for which she is not assigned and when the guy who has that seat boards the plane, she doesn't ask, she says: "I'd like to seat next to my husband if you don't mind." The guy acquiesces. Argh!!!

Couples!!! The bane of my existence when I travel. :-)
I'll never understand the NEED to have to sit next to someone on a 90min flight. Sit in another seat-- it'll be ok. My wife and I often fly together and often are separated (sometimes one of us gets an upgrade and the other doesn't (hint: make sure the person with higher status ALWAYS is assigned to the worse seat that way when they get upgraded whoever stays behind isn't stuck in a middle). Flying HNL-EWR we often pick the middle row first class in the 767 which are individual seats.

you do not NEED to sit next to someone-- you want to. Your "want" should have been "planned" better.
Doppy and dilanesp like this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by jp12687
you do not NEED to sit next to someone-- you want to. Your "want" should have been "planned" better.
Over the last almost two years of Covid now, there has been much reason to sit next to the person you are already exposed to than a stranger. I try to be sympathetic to that "want". And over my decades of flying, I have been grateful every time someone has done a seat switch for me, so that when we get separated (UG, IRROPs, etc) we can manage to sit together. I am a "planner" indeed, but sometimes things happen. Not saying I condone prematurely grabbing the seat you want, or trying to get someone to swap to a less desirable seat - when I have wanted to do that, I've offered to buy the party a drink, snack pack, whatever (which is even easier now with the contactless payment). So, thanks to all who have swapped at my ask.
nnn, drewguy, bluedemon211 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Now if you are in Y, the easiest reason to give is that purchases are paid by seat, not credit card. I was charged for a drink because I switched with my wife so the aisle seat I occupied was that of a general member, not a 1k (she didn’t get one). I know I could have called and had it taken care of, but I didn’t want to spend that much time on a $10 item. Yes, I only had the one drink.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by trm2
Now if you are in Y, the easiest reason to give is that purchases are paid by seat, not credit card. I was charged for a drink because I switched with my wife so the aisle seat I occupied was that of a general member, not a 1k (she didn’t get one). I know I could have called and had it taken care of, but I didn’t want to spend that much time on a $10 item. Yes, I only had the one drink.
Interesting! That is definitely something I have't considered before. Usually I will pretty much always accept a seat switch as long as it is like for like or better (aisle for aisle, window for window, center for anything else :P) I now have some reasons for pause...
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
Over the last almost two years of Covid now, there has been much reason to sit next to the person you are already exposed to than a stranger. I try to be sympathetic to that "want". And over my decades of flying, I have been grateful every time someone has done a seat switch for me, so that when we get separated (UG, IRROPs, etc) we can manage to sit together. I am a "planner" indeed, but sometimes things happen. Not saying I condone prematurely grabbing the seat you want, or trying to get someone to swap to a less desirable seat - when I have wanted to do that, I've offered to buy the party a drink, snack pack, whatever (which is even easier now with the contactless payment). So, thanks to all who have swapped at my ask.
with covid I could see that-- maybe. Things go wrong you can't always sit with others. My issue is the not like for like seat swap they want to do and then when you say no giving you a hard time.

I think I posted this in this thread several years ago EWR-HKG I always booked a bulkhead middle seat in first. That way I had direct aisle access and the larger footwell. Someone wanted to sit in my seat next to someone. I said no and to check if the other person wants to upgrade for more leg room and they sit in the back-- they got angry with me, yelled at me, and then proceeded to encroach over the shared armrest for the next 16 hours.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 1:49 pm

In this situation in order to avoid conflict and to keep my desired seat, I would volunteer to go and ask the other guy to come sit next to me so the couple can sit together in the back!!!

I said no and to check if the other person wants to upgrade for more leg room and they sit in the back-- they got angry with me, yelled at me, and then proceeded to encroach over the shared armrest for the next 16 hours.
nnn and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
...I think I posted this in this thread several years ago EWR-HKG I always booked a bulkhead middle seat in first. That way I had direct aisle access and the larger footwell.
Took that flight often in the past and always went for 8E (or 8D 2nd choice). Large footwell, aisle access with no one climbing over me, first served in that mini-cabin (before 1K priority), close to the large lav, one of first to deplane....There was really no other comparable seat. I was asked to move a few times and did the same thing recommended above. "I need this seat because of my height. Let's see if the person in the seat next to you would like this better location." Fortunate never to have had a standoff.
jp12687 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by threeoh
Serious question: for those of you who don't mind swapping like-for-like if asked nicely, but object to someone "poaching" your seat, what is the best way for the person who wants to swap to ask?

The one time in the past decade I've asked someone to swap (me + partner separated due to irrops), I just "perched" in his seat (bag on lap, didn't take my coat off)
This is what I've done in the few times I've asked to switch a seat -- hover nearby, or perch with my carryon still packed; offer an equivalent or better seat; phrase the request with humility and gratitude. That approach may not always work, but to me, feeling like I've coerced someone would be worse than taking my original seat.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:17 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
You get an "A+" for being polite and helpful. I would get an "F."
Can't disagree with you there. Not only will you refuse a like-for-like swap (aisle to aisle) but you get annoyed at a stranger making a like-for-like swap? Um, ok.

I do agree with you, however, that it's disrespectful to preemptively sit in someone else's seat. The few times that I have requested a swap onboard (usually the result of a UA-special aircraft swap separating our family) I have tried to be as respectful as possible about it (proper timing, proper tone, offer them the better seat if possible, etc.). And if I am told no, then it is what it is (you can have fun sitting with my kid).
Old Jan 15, 2022, 3:17 am

Programs: United Global Services
Originally Posted by nnn
Can't disagree with you there. Not only will you refuse a like-for-like swap (aisle to aisle) but you get annoyed at a stranger making a like-for-like swap? Um, ok.
No, it was not an aisle-for-aisle swap. Though, as previously written, that would appear to be the case. I fly a LOT. I find ways that I can control to make the experience less stressful and enjoyable. There's a method to my madness. :-) I choose very specific seats depending upon the aircraft with a goal in mind of being strategically located with a view to the lavatories. I drink only water and tea (no alcohol) and lot of it, so I want to be at the ready. In the previous example, I purposely flew a day later because the seats I wanted on the original flight were unavailable. Ultimately, that delayed my arrival into the targeted city. That was my choice and had no impact on anyone else. In my opinion, switchers think only of their needs and while a switch/swap might seem like a small thing, for some frequent flyers, it's a pain. Some couples (and those with children) often want the single flyer to accommodate their needs without regard to anyone else. Certainly, on United, if individuals want to sit together, plan for it. I do. And, if the person and their significant other happen to upgrade and are unable to sit together, deal with it. It's only a flight. My travel companions and I never seat together on a flight. We like aisle seats and if they are five rows away from me, that's OK. We'll see each other at the destination.

To be clear: I'm fine with people asking, but please, don't "pretend" you didn't know that wasn't your seat. Or, don't perch in the unassigned seat and assume your smile and good humor will get you the seat. Really annoying. :-)
Lurch, iluv2fly, nnn and 8 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by threeoh
I'd like more details here. Imagine you're in 25C and you want to be in 45C and give the guy in 45C your seat.

You sit in 25C and then what? Run back and check 45C every few minutes? Wait till the end of boarding?

(I agree if your partner is in 45B you can have them ask for you. If it's your 5yo, then...you leave your 5yo in 45B? Stand in 45C but don't sit down (even with bag on lap)?)
That kind of swap should be handled at the gate before boarding. Have the GA call the name of the pax whose seat you want and take care of it before the scrum.

IMO, it's really poor form to take someone else's assigned seat in advance and, every time that it's happened to me in the past, I was biased against the swapper because of it.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No, it was not an aisle-for-aisle swap. Though, as previously written, that would appear to be the case. I fly a LOT. I find ways that I can control to make the experience less stressful and enjoyable. There's a method to my madness. :-) I choose very specific seats depending upon the aircraft with a goal in mind of being strategically located with a view to the lavatories. I drink only water and tea (no alcohol) and lot of it, so I want to be at the ready. In the previous example, I purposely flew a day later because the seats I wanted on the original flight were unavailable. Ultimately, that delayed my arrival into the targeted city. That was my choice and had no impact on anyone else. In my opinion, switchers think only of their needs and while a switch/swap might seem like a small thing, for some frequent flyers, it's a pain. Some couples (and those with children) often want the single flyer to accommodate their needs without regard to anyone else. Certainly, on United, if individuals want to sit together, plan for it. I do. And, if the person and their significant other happen to upgrade and are unable to sit together, deal with it. It's only a flight. My travel companions and I never seat together on a flight. We like aisle seats and if they are five rows away from me, that's OK. We'll see each other at the destination.

To be clear: I'm fine with people asking, but please, don't "pretend" you didn't know that wasn't your seat. Or, don't perch in the unassigned seat and assume your smile and good humor will get you the seat. Really annoying. :-)
to everything in bold.
Boraxo, chavala and abaheti like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
to everything in bold.
yes to all of it except avoiding alcohol on my flights...... :-) I never let my EAs book flights for me because I don't want to inflict my crazy preferences and willingness to take different flights based on the seat I can secure. I am totally (maybe crazily) willing to take a connection or less ideal flight because of my seat preferences mania. So, yeah, it does matter to me when someone presumes.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:38 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by abaheti
I never let my EAs book flights for me because I don't want to inflict my crazy preferences and willingness to take different flights based on the seat I can secure. I am totally (maybe crazily) willing to take a connection or less ideal flight because of my seat preferences mania. So, yeah, it does matter to me when someone presumes.
Amen to that. Virtually all of my travel is self-booked (because I don't have an EA ) but a few clients insist I let their travel departments take care of everything "so I don't have to worry about it" and it just makes me more stressed because I lay out my more rational preferences than have to weed through what they send back (No, I won't fly Delta. Ever. Yes, I'll take a connection vs a NS to stay on United*. I'll gladly drive an extra couple hours from/to a less convenient airport to avoid a CR2, and if I'm in Y and can't get an window in the exit row, chances are I'm looking at different flights) (*-In the most recent iteration the United 1-stop was about 50% of the AA nonstop that they were recommending)

But I also, as of my most recent flight I have 1000 Window / 0 middle / 21 aisle seats logged in my.flightradar24.com so I guess my preference in that department is clear enough
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and abaheti like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.