Wiki Posts
Search

Poll: Hobo first class vs Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by timfountain
On the seatbelt thing, as the cabin staff for a seatbelt extender and use that to go across 2 seats. You are still strapped in and everyone is happy.... Oh and also make sure the unused seatbelts go between the seats, otherwise they can get annoying very quickly as they stick in your sides....
On one of those ORD-FRA flights I had one get lodged up in my crack. Woke up REAL quick.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
So why is everyone opting for hobo first class getting tickets or ending up in Polaris?

Just buy an economy ticket and leave the Polaris seats for the people who enjoy them.
Hobo first class, you guys are hilarious. This gave me quite the chuckle for the day
Because between upgrades and cheap fares, I'm usually flying up front for less than triple the cost of a Y ticket, and I have no interest in gambling on finding an empty row
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
Because between upgrades and cheap fares, I'm usually flying up front for less than triple the cost of a Y ticket, and I have no interest in gambling on finding an empty row
My company pays for J and I pay for Y (Recently I've been using my GPUs - I used to give them to my parents but they are flying less). In Y I 'beat the house' 90+% of the time; this year no exception TATL TPAC in Y on my own dime regarding getting my row. That's too high a percentage success for me to buy J.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:50 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I would prefer a J seat to three E+ seats, but not strongly. I would keep the upgrade&co-pay if given a blocked row in E+ but it's worth remembering that this is basically as much real estate on the plane as a J seat.

I guess sometimes it could be worth considering trying to get two EXTRASEATs when the J/Y price difference is like 10x.
Is that allowed? It'd be extra great for mileage runs, since you're allowed to keep the miles, too.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I've had some pretty remarkable luck with empty rows, though I tend to fly internationally during the off months when the planes are more empty. I can sleep fairly well on planes to begin with, so really I’m just hoping for an empty middle.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Wow! 75% of people prefer Hobo versus Polaris if they have to pay for it

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I've had some pretty remarkable luck with empty rows, though I tend to fly internationally during the off months when the planes are more empty. I can sleep fairly well on planes to begin with, so really I’m just hoping for an empty middle.
The way I read it is that:

a) If people don't have to pay for Polaris (i.e. use a GPU) they prefer Polaris strongly.

b) If people have to pay a co-pay or buy it outright then most people prefer Hobo to Polaris.

That doesn't bode well for United if this forum is a representative sample of their customers.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PsuedoEuropeanGuy
That doesn't bode well for United if this forum is a representative sample of their customers.
Why not? Everything is relative to price.

A 777-200 2-class plane has 50 business class seats, and 217 economy seats. Say a flight goes out full with no upgrades, does that mean that over 80% of people would prefer to sit in economy? Or just that 80% of people can't afford/justify the extra cost to sit up the front?

Getting 3 seats free in the back is an oddity. Yes, it happens, but it's not exactly common. Getting a lie-flat up the front is basically guaranteed. People aren't going to stop buying business class tickets just because they might get 3 seats together at the back. People not paying cash for an upgrade because they happened to score 3 seats at the back is hardly something that "doesn't bode well for United".
sczcardfan likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
Why not? Everything is relative to price..
Because I take it to mean people don't value the Polaris product enough to even pay a token value (20K Miles+$550) of its true purchase price. Personally, I've had good experiences, but it seems people have some issues including the food which is one thing I can't understand.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by helvetic
Is that allowed? It'd be extra great for mileage runs, since you're allowed to keep the miles, too.
I'm not sure, but if you can buy one EXTRASEAT why not two? The hassle though is another reason J is just simpler.

You only get RDM though, no PQD or PQM for the extra seats.

Originally Posted by docbert
Getting 3 seats free in the back is an oddity. Yes, it happens, but it's not exactly common. Getting a lie-flat up the front is basically guaranteed. People aren't going to stop buying business class tickets just because they might get 3 seats together at the back. People not paying cash for an upgrade because they happened to score 3 seats at the back is hardly something that "doesn't bode well for United".
Right.. I "voted for" the hobo seat, but only in the sense of "if you blocked a row for me for the price of a Y seat". At that point, you're basically giving the same amount of space on the plane (which is what the $$$ actually buy in the end) as a lie-flat J seat anyway.

Sure, the service and food is nice, but I pay for J to avoid feeling like I'm strapped to an instrument of torture for 16 hours.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:28 am

Personally I call it "EconomyFirst" as well

Did four SYD-LAX rt's a while back and got it on 7 out of the 8 legs. Definitely gets my vote compared to going for J.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
EconomyFirst all the way. In use for years.

Anyway, too much anxiety to ever consider this a strategy. Would rather just book F/C.

Also, I'm 6'2 and 260lbs. No way this is gonna actually be comfortable for me. Nice concept though.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:32 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I'm not sure, but if you can buy one EXTRASEAT why not two? The hassle though is another reason J is just simpler.

You only get RDM though, no PQD or PQM for the extra seats.
Would be sweet if you could credit all 3 seats to another partner and get distance based mileage.

Any other airline allow EXTRASEAT and maybe crediting to UA? That'd be particularly epic.

Imagine getting one of these cheapo-fares e.g. $300 to SIN, paying $900 for the hobo first class version, and getting 50k RDM credited.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PsuedoEuropeanGuy
Personally, I've had good experiences, but it seems people have some issues including the food which is one thing I can't understand.
I've had good experiences in C. I prefer it over Y. I would never give up a C seat on a TPAC. On a short TATL, it depends. If I have a meeting the day of arrival, I'll spend the miles and money. If I don't, and I am sure I'll get 3 across to myself, it depends on how much it will cost me in money/miles. And yes, the downgrade in C food and drink matters.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
My question is: The gate agent said it blocked the two seats next to you in Economy. Then, in an otherwise full flight, how do you prevent another passenger from moving from his middle seat to the aisle seat in your blocked 3 seater? For that reason, I still prefer to fly Polaris if I can afford it or use miles or take the upgrade offer. And how do you know if the plane is going to be empty until the day of flight? From my own experience, I have seen that, in Asia, passengers do not choose their seats until they are in the airport. And then there are the people who misconnected their own flight and suddenly find themselves sitting in the middle seat next to me that was empty until one hour before the flight.
sczcardfan likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
My question is: The gate agent said it blocked the two seats next to you in Economy. Then, in an otherwise full flight, how do you prevent another passenger from moving from his middle seat to the aisle seat in your blocked 3 seater? For that reason, I still prefer to fly Polaris if I can afford it or use miles or take the upgrade offer. And how do you know if the plane is going to be empty until the day of flight? From my own experience, I have seen that, in Asia, passengers do not choose their seats until they are in the airport. And then there are the people who misconnected their own flight and suddenly find themselves sitting in the middle seat next to me that was empty until one hour before the flight.
Sprawl out as early as possible, and pretend to be asleep (or actually, sleep). People might give you looks of disapproval, but...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.