Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poll: Hobo first class vs Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I don't sleep well on any flight, so I will always take a real Business Class seat over Hobo FC. However, I also will not pay for upgrade either, only GPU.
sczcardfan likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Yea, I'll take the hobo style, I'll even take 1 E- seat with the middle seat open. I've got the SFO-SIN-LAX in Y in March and all I want is for that middle seat to be open.

Every so often the offers are tempting. But I almost never pull the trigger. I was at LAX yesterday and the guy checking in next to me, going either to PVG or NRT got an offer of $900 to business class. He couldn't have reached for his CC faster. He had (what appeared to be) his adult daughters with him and was trying to get all 3 of them up there, not sure if he was successful but still. I thought it was a good offer, but I would never have done it. Odds are I probably paid 1/4 of that for the return price and spending like $1200 CAD just isn't gonna happen.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
It’s about so much more than the seat. It’s about how quickly I can get on and off the plane. It’s about where I can store my belongings. It’s about standing in line for the bathroom. It’s about availability to plug my computers in. Etc.
And, when you get three seats together in economy, there will also be other empty rows, which means problems of lack of storage or restrooms don't exist.

Separately though, four across on the 747 was always the best.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
"Excellent lounge in SFO?" Which airline were you flying?
The United lounge at SFO at Gate 71 (the Singapore lounge was closed) had pretty good food but no shower.

Your right they don't compare to the Turkish lounge or LH lounge at IAD. People were saying the showers at the Turkish lounge were kind of just okay. All I can say is people must have fancy homes on this board! I have to admit the LH lounge at IAD had great food. When was the last time you had decent Salmon in a lounge!
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
And, when you get three seats together in economy, there will also be other empty rows, which means problems of lack of storage or restrooms don't exist.

Separately though, four across on the 747 was always the best.
Five across on the old 777!
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Last month I tried the island hopper (PVG-GUM-UA155-HNL-LAX). Since the island hopper was delayed, UA offered me a chance to change my itinerary for free. I didn't miss my connecting flight to LAX, but I still asked the agent if she could change my ticket to HNL-EWR-SNA, and she agreed! I had not status by that time, but she was so nice that she blocked a seat for me to stretch out when I told her I came by island hopper. 2 seats for myself were not that comfortable comparing with an empty row by the window on 77W. Next month I'm gonna do a LAX-SIN same day return. Only 2 empty window rows for the outbound and 5 empty window rows for the inbound. Booked in E-. Don't wanna pay for extra for the E+. I'll try to get an empty row or at least an E+ seat for free with my SQ*G. Fingers crossed.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 985X
Last month I tried the island hopper (PVG-GUM-UA155-HNL-LAX). Since the island hopper was delayed, UA offered me a chance to change my itinerary for free. I didn't miss my connecting flight to LAX, but I still asked the agent if she could change my ticket to HNL-EWR-SNA, and she agreed! I had not status by that time, but she was so nice that she blocked a seat for me to stretch out when I told her I came by island hopper. 2 seats for myself were not that comfortable comparing with an empty row by the window on 77W. Next month I'm gonna do a LAX-SIN same day return. Only 2 empty window rows for the outbound and 5 empty window rows for the inbound. Booked in E-. Don't wanna pay for extra for the E+. I'll try to get an empty row or at least an E+ seat for free with my SQ*G. Fingers crossed.
You managed to turn a 2500mi flight into a 7400mi trip? Nicely done!
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:13 am

Hobo Class? I think the preferred term is EconomyFirst.
anc-ord772 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:46 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by halls120
I've always called it "Economy Lie Flat" and yes, I'll take it in a heartbeat. Especially since the food and drink in Polaris is on a downhill slide. Did it last December IAD-FRA and I got a good night's sleep.
FRA-ORD and back is great for that in the winter. Have done it twice and slept better than in J, at least on UA.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:46 am

Flew EWR - LAX last month on the 777, most of the back half to the plane was empty. Set up shop in one the empty middle 4 seat rows. Hadn't seen something like that on such a route in... forever
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
So why is everyone opting for hobo first class getting tickets or ending up in Polaris?

Just buy an economy ticket and leave the Polaris seats for the people who enjoy them.
Hobo first class, you guys are hilarious. This gave me quite the chuckle for the day
sczcardfan likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Bench seats

Originally Posted by Wyfind
Hobo Class? I think the preferred term is EconomyFirst.
Before BusinessFirst was changed to Polaris, it is appropriate to call it EconomyFirst. Now, we will probably call it Polaris Bench.
PES_B1 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
"Ghetto lie flat", "Hobo Class" expressions that I have only been exposed to today.
Brilliant terms that say so much. Best laugh based upon reality in a long time. Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by drew in the air
Flew EWR - LAX last month on the 777, most of the back half to the plane was empty. Set up shop in one the empty middle 4 seat rows. Hadn't seen something like that on such a route in... forever
Finally a positive of the new 10-across 777 fleet!
nnn and PES_B1 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Up until the infant arrived, I was starting to get REALLY good at ghetto lie flat. There are all kinds of tricks.

Scan the seat map relentlessly before boarding, refresh it constantly, stake out your location on empty seats with a coat/bag in an open set of 3 4 or 5 seats, etc., etc. Figure out how to safely wear a seatbelt while asleep. Jury-rig the pillows so you can lie down comfortably. Choose between left/middle/right in a 3-3-3 config (there are pros and cons). There's a lot you can do to get a reasonably comfy sleep (I get almost as much sleep in ghetto lie-flat Y as in UA J).
On the seatbelt thing, ask the cabin staff for a seatbelt extender and use that to go across 2 seats. You are still strapped in and everyone is happy.... Oh and also make sure the unused seatbelts go between the seats, otherwise they can get annoying very quickly as they stick in your sides....
sczcardfan likes this.

Last edited by timfountain; Oct 21, 2017 at 9:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.