Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poll: Hobo first class vs Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:50 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
To me that’s not hobo F, that’s just Y with a little extra legroom. I don’t see those seats next to you staying open.
For a Redeye I would definitely do the upgrade to F.
And also something to note, you shouldn’t have to pay the $200 change fee to upfare. If an agent is quoting you this change fee just hang up and call again.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Have to head home to HNL for the weekend (I know, tough!). When I booked the trip, the only seats available in F for the return HNL-DEN redeye were a couple middle seats so I opted for hobo F. Some aisle F seats opened up last week and are still open:

Looks like a couple of the aisles have gone already but one remains. I'm wondering what the chances are that space in the E+ middle will remain vacant or if I should spend the $480 (plus $200 change fee) to grab that aisle F seat now. I'm sure either the aisle or window will go before I get within 24 hours of my return Sunday night so SDC to save $200 is not a viable option.
What do you think? I travel home frequently but not at this time of year.
Why the $200 change fee? If you're buy-ing up to first from an economy fare on the same flight, GGBUYUP means the change fee is waived.
I think chances are slim that E+ will remain empty. Flight loads are at all time high and many passengers (basic economy) don't get seats assigned
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:55 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
$480 for upgrade is not bad. Also, there's no change fee when you are upfaring.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Absolutely zero chance this stays like it is. Less than zero.

E- is absolutely full (ok, so there's one free middle seat, but still).

There will be countless people in Economy that don't have seats due to no E- being available - they are going to end up in E+ at check-in/boarding. There's also going to be numerous silvers looking for E+ seats at check-in.

If you're lucky, you might get the seat next to you free - but I wouldn't even bet on that being the case.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Flying the red-eye Sunday night from HNL tends to have many more open seats than flying Saturday night. Saturday nights tend to be pretty full, and that big set of blue seats next to you are going to be awfully attractive to people. Even on Sunday, you won't get the five seats to yourself, but you likely would have the seat next to you empty.

My wife, three kids, and I recently did IAH-OGG and the good folks at the gates in Houston and HNL were extremely good and managed to keep the middle seats away from the stand-by passengers, so we had the four seats in the middle section and the three on the wing for the five of us.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by EWR764
I wouldn't count on the middle seat staying open, especially during a major holiday weekend. If you call in, the $200 change fee should be waived for a fare-up to F.
Echoing this. Call now and snag the F, There is no change fee per GG BUYUP.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
HNL-DEN redeye? Buy it now before that seat is gone - change fee will be waived. Absolutely no question - it's a flatbed and it's a redeye.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Good points all. I hadn't realized they'd waive the change fee on an upfare or I'd have called in earlier. Forgot to bring my MP Visa to work but I called in and placed the seat on hold until I can get home and get the credit card. Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Good points all. I hadn't realized they'd waive the change fee on an upfare or I'd have called in earlier. Forgot to bring my MP Visa to work but I called in and placed the seat on hold until I can get home and get the credit card. Thanks!
You don't have your credit card(s) saved in your Mileage Plus profile?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
You don't have your credit card(s) saved in your Mileage Plus profile?
I do but the agent couldn't access the profile and when I guess waiver of the change fee has to be done manually as it kept coming up when I was looking at the seat map this past weekend.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Never not fly F, especially lie flat if you have the chance or ability...period
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Have to head home to HNL for the weekend (I know, tough!). When I booked the trip, the only seats available in F for the return HNL-DEN redeye were a couple middle seats .
I would also add that if you have not flown on the dread 772HD, the seats in Y are all extremely narrow, they are .6" narrower than on a 737 (the 737/757 gives 20" per passanger in width, the 772HD gives only 19.4" in width/person) and the aisles alos both lost 1" so you also get bumped more often as people pass. This is not the plane that you want to be sitting in for 7-8 hours on a red-eye in Y.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:02 pm

I might be missing something here but wouldn't 17B or 17K be the best E+ seats in the seat map provided above? While they are both middle seats (ugh) the seat map shows that there's no row 16 which means tons of leg room (kind of like the emergency bulkhead row on 767s). I've done something like this on the HNL -> DEN route (with a window seat) and had no problems.

In any event, I'd check the redeem upgrade option on UA.bomb to see if they offer a better deal. $480 is a bit steep, however I've spent $500 on the ORD-HNL segment on the 777 and did not regret spending the dough one bit (especially since my flight re-fared into P earning double miles)!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:21 pm

If you can grab 2A (a nice window seat) then I’d budge.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
If you can grab 2A (a nice window seat) then I’d budge.
Wanted 3D but got 2A. I'll live .... better yet, I'll sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.