Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO>IAD (Y), IAD>GRU>JNB>CPT (J) vs. SFO>FRA (Y), FRA>JNB>CPT (J)

View Poll Results: What option would you prefer?
SFO>IAD (Y), IAD>GRU>JNB>CPT (J)
81.82%
SFO>FRA (Y), FRA>JNB>CPT (J)
18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

SFO>IAD (Y), IAD>GRU>JNB>CPT (J) vs. SFO>FRA (Y), FRA>JNB>CPT (J)

Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Question SFO>IAD (Y), IAD>GRU>JNB>CPT (J) vs. SFO>FRA (Y), FRA>JNB>CPT (J)

I'm figuring out which plan for our trip to South Africa in 2018. I'm torn about which route to take. I thought I'd hear what the smart folks on flyer talk would prefer and why! These are all saver awards.

Option A:
econ from SFO-IAD
Polaris biz from IAD-Sao Paolo
biz Sao-Paolo to JNB to CPT

Option B:
econ from SFO-FRA
biz from FRA-JNB-CPT

What would you do?? Short econ leg but loong biz leg (but part is Polaris) or half econ and half biz, but one stop and overall shorter trip by ~10 hours. As I type that out, it seems option B is the no brainer...

Oh, and we're flying with a 3 and 5 year old (who are good travelers, but you never know... and they're still children... aka needy LOL). But we will have 4 adults to help out with the 2 kids...

OK, what would you do and why?

Last edited by J.Edward; Oct 20, 2017 at 4:01 am Reason: non-descriptive title edit
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I don't have the flight schedule to hand, but I would be for option A as it presumably avoids doing an overnight in Y

It is longer though, and I don't know the timing of the rest of the flights. I would definitely try to find something better either way, but that might be hard.
pinkhighlighter likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by pinkhighlighter
I'm figuring out which plan for our trip to South Africa in 2018. I'm torn about which route to take. I thought I'd hear what the smart folks on flyer talk would prefer and why! These are all saver awards.

Option A:
econ from SFO-IAD
Polaris biz from IAD-Sao Paolo

biz Sao-Paolo to JNB to CPT

Option B:
econ from SFO-FRA
biz from FRA-JNB-CPT

What would you do?? Short econ leg but loong biz leg (but part is Polaris) or half econ and half biz, but one stop and overall shorter trip by ~10 hours. As I type that out, it seems option B is the no brainer...

Oh, and we're flying with a 3 and 5 year old (who are good travelers, but you never know... and they're still children... aka needy LOL). But we will have 4 adults to help out with the 2 kids...

OK, what would you do and why?
Assuming a mileage purchase and not enough miles for business while Way?

id also look into SFO-EWR
then EWR-ZRH-JNB on swiss

i did that route before on Swiss (originating in EWR) Swiss business is nice. Unless I’m mistaking the Sal Paolo flight is on fake Polaris which is old seats.

zurich is an easy city to enjoy during the layover

enjoy CPT one of my favorite places ever. I want to buy a house there
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Option A, much rather do 5 daytime hours in coach than 10 nighttime hours.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: UA 1K
it seems option B is the no brainer...
Weird, as I read your post I thought A sounded like the no brainer.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Weird, as I read your post I thought A sounded like the no brainer.
To me it's #1 for sure, I did LAX-FRA in business class and 12.5 hours nonstop was weary. But I don't have to think about occupying kiddos during an extra 10 hours of travel.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gig103
To me it's #1 for sure, I did LAX-FRA in business class and 12.5 hours nonstop was weary. But I don't have to think about occupying kiddos during an extra 10 hours of travel.
Same here. 12 hours nonstop in coach is a non starter for me.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Considerations:

1. Assume due to the *A business aspect, OP is already paying the extra miles.
2. Assume with this many miles, OP is at least *Gold, or hopefully Plat/1K.
3. Assume SFO-FRA is on LH.

If it were me (a 1K) the SFO-EU or SFO-East Coast-EU route is a no-brainer. I'd do that now, and keep refining that outbound until something pops up to get myself to FRA with the overwater being in C.

If I do the other route, that's a full re-ticketing due to the Brazil-EU leg, but OP can use a myriad of carriers/routes to do SFO-FRA.

So I choose B, with some caveats about getting it done better over time.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: UA Plat; Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; Hyatt Gold; Hertz Gold
These are all saver awards.

Oh, and we're flying with a 3 and 5 year old (who are good travelers, but you never know... and they're still children... aka needy LOL). But we will have 4 adults to help out with the 2 kids
Are you sure there is inventory for either of these options? 6 partner award business seats sounds unlikely.

I'm split on the extra stops. On the one hand, the change of scenery and chance to walk around will be nice for the kids. On the other hand, you're talking over a day of travel - At that point, your only hope with them might be an uninterrupted chance to sleep.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
The only thing you may want to consider with the connection in GRU is the layover time. I got a room at the Tryp hotel in airport and napped on the outbound. On the return, it was not quite long enough to bother with the hotel and I hung out in the lounge. Since I has started my day very early out of Durban, I was quite tired by the time I got to GRU.

Regardless of how you go, you are still going to South Africa and its so worth a little inconvenience (enjoy)!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.

A bit more info in response to some of the replies...

- My husband is *gold, I have silver status.
- I found these awards while logged into his account (yes, 6 award flights).
- We do have enough miles to cover the six flights if we combine our miles.

For details on the routes:
Option A:
flight 1: UA econ from SFO-IAD **5 flight options/day but saver econ option is 4p-1a...**
flight 2: UA Polaris biz from IAD-GRU (not sure how to tell if it's a faux Polaris, but the plane is a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner)
layover in GRU for 9h5m
flight 3: SA biz GRU to JNB to CPT

Option B:
UA econ from SFO-FRA *** this is not LH! *** this would be an overnight ***
SA biz from FRA-JNB-CPT

I looked into flying through EWR... This pulls up another options parallel to Option A, except flying econ into EWR and then flying biz Polaris (Boeing 777-200) to GRU and SA biz to JNB. If I want to go EWR-ZRH, I have to stop in FRA on the way to JNB, so I might as well fly straight to FRA.

OK, any changes in thoughts??
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
As for most others here, an international red eye is not much fun in Y and I choose J whenever possible. Domestic day time flights are fone in Y. Your arrival at 1am would not phase me on the SFO-IAD leg.

However, I do everything possible to avoid EWR as my flights are always delayed through there and with two little ones that would be a nightmare scenario.

J seats are great with kids (as long as they are your kids).

If it were me I would still go Option A as someone who has done much international travel with kids. Also, make sure to order a kids meal for each of them.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:42 am

Thanks, everyone.

A bit more info in response to some of the replies...

- My husband is *gold, I have silver status.
- I found these awards while logged into his account (yes, 6 award flights).
- We do have enough miles to cover the six flights if we combine our miles.

For details on the routes:
Option A:
flight 1: UA econ from SFO-IAD **5 flight options/day but saver econ option is 4p-1a...**
flight 2: UA Polaris biz from IAD-GRU (not sure how to tell if it's a faux Polaris, but the plane is a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner)
layover in GRU for 9h5m
flight 3: SA biz GRU to JNB to CPT

Option B:
UA econ from SFO-FRA *** this is not LH! *** this would be an overnight ***
SA biz from FRA-JNB-CPT

I looked into flying through EWR... This pulls up another options parallel to Option A, except flying econ into EWR and then flying biz Polaris (Boeing 777-200) to GRU and SA biz to JNB. If I want to go EWR-ZRH, I have to stop in FRA on the way to JNB, so I might as well fly straight to FRA.

OK, any changes in thoughts??
the 787 is not the proper Polaris its old style Polaris.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
As for most others here, an international red eye is not much fun in Y and I choose J whenever possible. Domestic day time flights are fone in Y. Your arrival at 1am would not phase me on the SFO-IAD leg.

However, I do everything possible to avoid EWR as my flights are always delayed through there and with two little ones that would be a nightmare scenario.

J seats are great with kids (as long as they are your kids).

If it were me I would still go Option A as someone who has done much international travel with kids. Also, make sure to order a kids meal for each of them.

Enjoy your trip!
also what are your dates?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by jp12687
the 787 is not the proper Polaris its old style Polaris.
They are still lie flat seats and seating is 2-2-2 so perfect for the six of them

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.