Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO>IAD (Y), IAD>GRU>JNB>CPT (J) vs. SFO>FRA (Y), FRA>JNB>CPT (J)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What option would you prefer?
SFO>IAD (Y), IAD>GRU>JNB>CPT (J)
81.82%
SFO>FRA (Y), FRA>JNB>CPT (J)
18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

SFO>IAD (Y), IAD>GRU>JNB>CPT (J) vs. SFO>FRA (Y), FRA>JNB>CPT (J)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by pinkhighlighter
I'm searching on United's site and can't find a ZHR>JNB nonstop. They all stop in FRA. Should I be looking in a different way?
I search MIA-JNB and it routed it together for me.

As for the new lie flat seats-- i hadn't seen they upgraded them. Last i looked/saw they were still running the old style plane on the JNB-NYC route didn't know they got newer seats/planes
pinkhighlighter likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jp12687
I search MIA-JNB and it routed it together for me.

As for the new lie flat seats-- i hadn't seen they upgraded them. Last i looked/saw they were still running the old style plane on the JNB-NYC route didn't know they got newer seats/planes
So odd! If I try MIA>JNB, it goes through GRU or EWR>GRU (for biz saver seats).
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:24 pm

So odd! If I try MIA>JNB, it goes through GRU or EWR>GRU (for biz saver seats).
weird the only date in July now is July 18, August 13...im not seeing any in june right now.

I'd go with the europe routing as there are a bunch of options. When we went we switched a lot.

One flight that had a lot of award availability at the time was Turkish. But right now with the visa thing you cant get those flights (or atleast they dont show up online).

We found the ZRH-JNB route in business and then build the rest of the itinerary around it since that was the hardest flight to find.

I"d start by looking at FRA-JNB and ZRH-JNB and then try to build itineraries to there

enjoy your trip-- we stayed at Madikwe Hills for 5 nights and it was amazing.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
I voted for option A because doing SFO-FRA in Y is much worse than doing SFO-IAD in Y. The layovers might be nice with young kids. Young kids need to stretch their legs and move. In D.C., you can go to the National Mall and walk around. In Sao Paulo, you can go to the aquarium or zoo.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DA201
I voted for option A because doing SFO-FRA in Y is much worse than doing SFO-IAD in Y. The layovers might be nice with young kids. Young kids need to stretch their legs and move. In D.C., you can go to the National Mall and walk around. In Sao Paulo, you can go to the aquarium or zoo.
I have yet to be brave enough to leave the airport during layovers with kids! Perhaps with 9 hours in Sao Paolo (if that works out), it might be doable?? It'd be nice to wear them out a bit so they'll sleep the last leg on the plane.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Any tips on calling in and having an agent piece it all together? It sounds like this isn't the normal anymore...

Especially, as it looks like we have to tie together econ saver and biz saver seats.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
We did an award trip to South Africa a few years ago with our then 9 month old and ultimately ended up taking the SA flight IAD-JNB in Economy. While there were a number of business options, the overall trip was MUCH MUCH shorter.

There is usually decent award availability in Y on South African. The challenge is that business awards on that route are notoriously difficult to come by. But I would definitely consider booking SFO-IAD-JNB -- even in economy -- given how much easier and shorter of a trip that it would be. That said, when looking at award availability for next year in June and July I don't see any availability on the IAD-JNB flights so perhaps those haven't opened up yet? You defiantly have some flexibility with your schedule so might be worth looking every day for the next month to see if something changes.

Another thing to keep in mind, UA schedules will definitely change a number of times between now and then -- so I wouldn't worry *too* much about the SFO-IAD leg if you go with that on any of your options -- a change may enable you to move to more desirable times.

Finally, you will get better results if you break up your party into 3 and 3; while perhaps less desirable (or even impossible) to travel apart, getting 6 award seats will definitely be a limitation.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noah
We did an award trip to South Africa a few years ago with our then 9 month old and ultimately ended up taking the SA flight IAD-JNB in Economy. While there were a number of business options, the overall trip was MUCH MUCH shorter.

There is usually decent award availability in Y on South African. The challenge is that business awards on that route are notoriously difficult to come by. But I would definitely consider booking SFO-IAD-JNB -- even in economy -- given how much easier and shorter of a trip that it would be. That said, when looking at award availability for next year in June and July I don't see any availability on the IAD-JNB flights so perhaps those haven't opened up yet? You defiantly have some flexibility with your schedule so might be worth looking every day for the next month to see if something changes.

Another thing to keep in mind, UA schedules will definitely change a number of times between now and then -- so I wouldn't worry *too* much about the SFO-IAD leg if you go with that on any of your options -- a change may enable you to move to more desirable times.

Finally, you will get better results if you break up your party into 3 and 3; while perhaps less desirable (or even impossible) to travel apart, getting 6 award seats will definitely be a limitation.
Are you saying you took a nonstop from IAD to JNB? I can't seem to find that.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Are you saying you took a nonstop from IAD to JNB? I can't seem to find that.
Technically it's a 1-stop. Stops in Accra (Ghana) for refueling, but you don't exit the plane. SA 210, departs IAD 1740 arrives JNB 1645+1.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Technically it's a 1-stop. Stops in Accra (Ghana) for refueling, but you don't exit the plane. SA 210, departs IAD 1740 arrives JNB 1645+1.
And, to be fair, its not showing up in award searches for July as far as I can see -- but it DOES exist and it (along with the JFK-JNB flight) is without a doubt the fastest way to get to South Africa from North America.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noah
And, to be fair, its not showing up in award searches for July as far as I can see -- but it DOES exist and it (along with the JFK-JNB flight) is without a doubt the fastest way to get to South Africa from North America.
OK, I'm checking these routes... Now I've been able to find some availability at a safari lodge that looks great for June, when their rates are about half what they would be in July or August... So, I'm trying to find biz saver flights that would leave SFO around June 8-11... making things so much harder!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
A, no question about it.

Roughing it for a transcon in Y isn't fun, but it totally beats an overnighter in Y. I get that it's longer duration, but I suspect you'll feel better during/after the journey so it might be time well spent.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Question

Hi everyone, here's what we were finally able to book:

SEA>ORD>GRU>JNB (first two are UA, last two are SAA)
JNB>CPT (SAA)
CPT>JNB>CAI>JFK (these last two flights are on Egyptair)

We couldn't get anything to/fr the SF Bay Area with dates that would work for all of us...

When we look online now, we can find:
SFO>SEA economy saver (10k miles)
LGA>ORD>SFO or EWR>SFO but not saver...

So, here are my questions:
1. What's the best way to connect our trip to SFO or close by? Could we call to get the SFO>SEA added without charge? When we try to add online, it wants 10k.
2. How to get from JFK back home?
3. The six of us are currently on 4 reservations. Can they still not connect reservations?

Many thanks!!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:00 am

Hi everyone, here's what we were finally able to book:

SEA>ORD>GRU>JNB (first two are UA, last two are SAA)
JNB>CPT (SAA)
CPT>JNB>CAI>JFK (these last two flights are on Egyptair)

We couldn't get anything to/fr the SF Bay Area with dates that would work for all of us...

When we look online now, we can find:
SFO>SEA economy saver (10k miles)
LGA>ORD>SFO or EWR>SFO but not saver...

So, here are my questions:
1. What's the best way to connect our trip to SFO or close by? Could we call to get the SFO>SEA added without charge? When we try to add online, it wants 10k.
2. How to get from JFK back home?
3. The six of us are currently on 4 reservations. Can they still not connect reservations?

Many thanks!!
they cannot connect reservations typically you can make changes on the phone for free for the first 24 hours
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
That JFK-SFO is going to be an issue using *A. Maybe wait for a sale, and book a one-way on B6.

Else, keep watching the return to a) avoid EgyptAir and b) get something on UA or even AC, giving you many more return options once you land in YYZ/ORD/EWR/IAH/etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.