Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

best/fastest way to get status starting at 0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best/fastest way to get status starting at 0

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by drewguy
Others likely have better info, but I thought a Pass Plus purchase got one elite status, maybe even 1K.

If you're certain to be taking these flights ~40 times a year, the $25k purchase might get you close, and elite status.

Also, if you have elite status on another airline, United may grant you a challenge, although racking up miles quickly enough on that route may be a bit of a challenge.
Comped 1K status from PassPlus requires a $45,000 annual commitment and doesn't play nice with traveling on expense. It's an extraordinarily low-value status proposition except for GS, for which it can be outstanding.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Comped 1K status from PassPlus requires a $45,000 annual commitment and doesn't play nice with traveling on expense. It's an extraordinarily low-value status proposition except for GS, for which it can be outstanding.
I’m pulling the trigger on PassPlus in Jan. GS for $50k on day 1 is a good deal given my travel plans for 2018
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sdix
I’m pulling the trigger on PassPlus in Jan. GS for $50k on day 1 is a good deal given my travel plans for 2018
The biggest benefit is that you can spend that $50k on select *A partners too!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Hey, just offering up the option. Note OP said looking for silver or gold.

(Kind of remarkable that it's only $5k to go from 1K to GS through this program, however.)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: United
Buy a business class's ticket to Fly UA82 to DEL and UA83 back. You'll be on a plane for 31 of 33 hours (2 hours in airport) and Silver when you get back 33 hours later (technically on your next leg that hits 4 segment minimum).

Did that trip once on an expired visa :-/
Old Oct 21, 2017, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
So let's run through the options:

(1) Get a UA Explorer or UC card. This will get you group 2 boarding and a free checked bag. Beyond this Silver only gets you E+ seats at T-24 (which may or may not be gone on this routing) and Gold would get you E+ at booking. None of these status levels get you an F seat though you see an occasional CPU upgrade depending on the route.

(2)
Buy F outright.
Great advice as F is sometimes quite reasonable by comparison - depends on route.

(3)
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Be a Marriott Platinum guest. That gets you UA Silver.
This is an expensive proposition if you don't normally stay 75 nights at Marriott. However there is a shortcut (8 meeting room bookings) but that could also run $800+ or a lot more depending on where you live.

(4)
Originally Posted by jp12687
Fly a round trip TPAC for fun
I don't know if I'd call it fun but I think this is one of the best and cheapest fast-track options to Silver as we have recently seen many fares <$500. OF course you will have to endure 20+ hours of torture. You will also need a Chase United card if you want a waiver of the EQD requirements. IMO Silver is not worth much anyway given the Chase UA card is only $95/yr.

(5) Request a status match. If you have high status on another airline UA may agree to give you a fast-track qualification - worth a try.

Note that only option 2 guarantees an F seat. In fact as a 1K at sfo I rarely see free F even when using upgrade certs (RPUs). Probably a bit easier from PIT and maybe DEN but I wouldn't count on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.