Travel Waiver - Typhoon Lan - Oct 22-24

Airports impacted:
  • Fukuoka, JP (FUK)​
  • Nagoya, JP (NGO)​
  • Osaka, JP (KIX)​
  • Tokyo-Haneda, Japan (HND)​
  • Tokyo-Narita, Japan (NRT)​​
​​​​October 22, 2017 - October 24, 2017

Anyone impacted? I land NRT at 3ish, I'm shy to change my flight because it makes too tight of a connection in SFO (final destination ICN)
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None anymore
Personally I think I will wait a day or two to see what happens...
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, *A Silver, SPG/Marriott/Ritz Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
I have a flight to BKK through NRT that i actually needed to delay for medical reasons so i'm rebooking with this
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA GS
I’m on NRT-ORD (UA882) on October 22nd. I’m hesitant to change because it cuts my trip short and eliminates a bunch of stuff we had planned.

Do you guys have any recommendations for keeping an eye on the status of this storm?

Last edited by FlyHighInTheSky; Oct 19, 2017 at 6:56 pm
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
I’m on NRT-ORD (UA882) on October 22nd. I’m hesitant to change because it cuts my trip short and eliminates a bunch of stuff we had planned.

Do you guys have any recommendations for keeping an eye on the status of this storm?
The Joint Typhoon Warning Center.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:55 am

Watching this too

Supposed to arrive Narita on Sunday at 3pm. Just seeing that 3-5 inches of rain are predicted that day. Guessing my flight will be cancelled. Wish I could have left today but some of my family had work stuff they couldn't get out of.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:14 am
Original Poster

I arrive Narita at 3 on Tuesday, the Typhoon will be clear by then but do you guys think the airport will be back open?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by warrenw
I arrive Narita at 3 on Tuesday, the Typhoon will be clear by then but do you guys think the airport will be back open?

Exact same. Only I booked on ANA to save a few bucks and they aren't recognizing Tuesday as a problem yet. I don't want to be the first person to touch down after a typhoon, even if it's possible. Ugh.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Personally I think I will wait a day or two to see what happens...
Yes wait and see. It been cooler (17C/63F), so I am wondering it will weaken a bit or lot as it heads north.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: CC Concierge,HH Diamond, Melia: Platinum, Hyatt : Platinum, Hertz: Gold
Im flying from NGO to Helsinki on monday morning.
Have a 50 min layover from Helsinki to BRU, so I might have a problem.
What are the policies normaly for natural disasters?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carpedictum
Exact same. Only I booked on ANA to save a few bucks and they aren't recognizing Tuesday as a problem yet. I don't want to be the first person to touch down after a typhoon, even if it's possible. Ugh.
Staying or connecting? Connecting might be ok.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Have any flights been proactively cancelled yet?

I am flying BKK-NRT-IAD on the 23rd, with only 1hr in NRT. I will probably just take my chances...if I end up needing to stay another day in BKK or get stuck in Tokyo, it wouldn’t be the end of the world.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolbeans202

I am flying BKK-NRT-IAD on the 23rd, with only 1hr in NRT. I will probably just take my chances...if I end up needing to stay another day in BKK or get stuck in Tokyo, it wouldn’t be the end of the world.
So far Sunday's flight from SFO is delayed an hour due to weather in the route network... it doesn't seem like too many people are switching flights either, biz is nearly full in my flight.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
So far Sunday's flight from SFO is delayed an hour due to weather in the route network... it doesn't seem like too many people are switching flights either, biz is nearly full in my flight.
Yeah I just saw that HNL-NRT (whose plane will become my flight) is also delayed an hour due to “severe” weather in the network. The timing of my flights works out pretty well to miss the worst of the typhoon, but I’m more worried about the planes getting into positon to begin with..

EDIT: Looks like today’s (Oct 22) NRT-IAD has been cancelled...EDITED AGAIN: Due to maintenance, so, never mind.

Last edited by coolbeans202; Oct 21, 2017 at 9:15 pm
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
Some of the Guam flights have been cancelled — I noticed NGO-GUM and at least one of the GUM-NRT pairs for tomorrow (Monday). I haven’t seen any cancellations on the long haul flights so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.