Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New boarding process begins 10/19/17 at CLE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New boarding process begins 10/19/17 at CLE?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:52 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Do GS' still get pre-boarding as they did before?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Do GS' still get pre-boarding as they did before?
Yes, the pre-boarding was as usual. After pre-boarding, GA turned sign around from “please be seated” side to yellow bypass lane and blue boarding lane. The electronic monitors also indicate what group should line up in blue and yellow backgrounds.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
Departing from CLE this afternoon. GA said “We are testing a new boarding procedure ...thank you for your patience as we work to improve our boarding experience.” One GS said he wasn’t happy with the change and GA asked him to please let UA know his thoughts. People are sitting mostly but a few are standing in gate area, just not lined up like before. Lots of people in area saying they liked previous process.
Flgiht to ORD, 3:47pm? If so, I was that GS saying I didn’t like the change (and also the OP of this thread). Small world!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by caiken
Flgiht to ORD, 3:47pm? If so, I was that GS saying I didn’t like the change (and also the OP of this thread). Small world!
Indeed! Ha!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Just got back from there earlier this week and I hope this doesn't become the new norm. For the flight I was on people just ended up lousing the area near the gate instead of the lanes. At least if their on line the likelihood of people jumping in front of you is minimized. With this everyone kept scooting forward until their group was called.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold
It baffles me that they lump the CC holders in group 2. To me its a total slap in the face for Gold and Silver status people.

Like someone said earlier, I've seen group 2 lines at EWR and IAH that had to have been 60+ people.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I was walking to the end of B at ORD and noticed those signs at some gates. They didn't have it at my gate and I was boarding a E-145 so it didn't matter.
I don't think it will help much. When Group 1 and 2 are together, there will always be Group 2 people blocking the lane and standing in the ropped area even after Group 1 is called and I'll have to squeeze around them. It will just be a mob scene with everyone blocking one lane versus a mob scene with everyone blocking 5 lanes.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lsu2012
It baffles me that they lump the CC holders in group 2. To me its a total slap in the face for Gold and Silver status people.
Makes you wonder if UA is really a credit card company that operates an airline as an afterthought.
iluv2fly and lsu2012 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:36 pm

Instead of having a "now boarding" and "bypass" lane, which encourages people to hover, they need two lanes that alternate between "boarding now" and "boarding next -- please line up". As soon as the "boarding now" lane is empty it becomes the "boarding next" lane and they start boarding the previous "boarding next" lane which becomes the new "boarding now" lane. And then a small bypass lane to the side.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
@AugustusM - did you receive the post-flight survey? Please let UA know your thoughts. I've been trained to write in or fill out the survey with the lowest marks possible (like when F meals were downgraded) as it seems to be the only way to have our voices heard.

IMO the UA boarding process is miles better than AA/DL which turns into a total mob scene, especially on elite-heavy flights where everyone is worried about carry on bags.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
Instead of having a "now boarding" and "bypass" lane, which encourages people to hover, they need two lanes that alternate between "boarding now" and "boarding next -- please line up". As soon as the "boarding now" lane is empty it becomes the "boarding next" lane and they start boarding the previous "boarding next" lane which becomes the new "boarding now" lane. And then a small bypass lane to the side.
What you have described is effectively the Southwest Airlines boarding process (which, by the way, I love, as it seems to be the most organized boarding process of any airline in the US).
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi

What you have described is effectively the Southwest Airlines boarding process (which, by the way, I love, as it seems to be the most organized boarding process of any airline in the US).
IMO this only works because order within the subsequent lines has already been determined. Otherwise the line which is neither boarding "now" nor "next" has to jostle for position.
AugustusM likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lsu2012
Like someone said earlier, I've seen group 2 lines at EWR and IAH that had to have been 60+ people.
G1 and G2 can each be 100+ at SFO for widebodies.

Originally Posted by findark
IMO this only works because order within the subsequent lines has already been determined. Otherwise the line which is neither boarding "now" nor "next" has to jostle for position.
Yes, exactly. That's one of the two truly brilliant aspects of the WN system. There is no incentive to crowd the boarding area before your group has been called to line up. (The other is that order is self policing.)
AugustusM likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
@AugustusM - did you receive the post-flight survey? Please let UA know your thoughts. I've been trained to write in or fill out the survey with the lowest marks possible (like when F meals were downgraded) as it seems to be the only way to have our voices heard.

IMO the UA boarding process is miles better than AA/DL which turns into a total mob scene, especially on elite-heavy flights where everyone is worried about carry on bags.
I did receive it and I did score it lowest marks across the board.

Not that it was a DYKWIA moment but I was sort of lined up near the lane when another passenger asks me if I'm going to go and I let him know we weren't called for BG1 yet. He informs me that he's in 1 and I say 'so am I'. He then tells me he's in first and I say 'so am I' and then he proceeds to jump in front of me anyway. The whole set up is a disaster in my opinion.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AugustusM
I did receive it and I did score it lowest marks across the board.

Not that it was a DYKWIA moment but I was sort of lined up near the lane when another passenger asks me if I'm going to go and I let him know we weren't called for BG1 yet. He informs me that he's in 1 and I say 'so am I'. He then tells me he's in first and I say 'so am I' and then he proceeds to jump in front of me anyway. The whole set up is a disaster in my opinion.
What a pest. Amusing from afar, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.