Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Announces Q3 2017 Financial Results 18 Oct/ Conference Call 19 Oct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Announces Q3 2017 Financial Results 18 Oct/ Conference Call 19 Oct

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Leaving today on my full flight - as always full - HNL-SFO flight, nothing is wrong ^

Didn't get my upgrade, but I'll survive the 10 across seating because it really isn't that bad.
10 wide is bearable on a 5 hour flight. On a 10-14 hour TATL/TPAC, not at all.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Then why does WN and DL seem to have their act together compared to United? Surely it all ties back to the decisions made in the C-suite.
A management team is important, but we shouldn't ignore that all of the circumstances for the mergers, or WN's acquisition of FL, were different.

Hindsight is 20/20 and we know today that the history of United is full of bad decisions made in the C-suite. However, I think it is wrong to assume intent.

Originally Posted by halls120
Correct. Kirby and Oscar are focused on making shareholders happy, which is how publicly owned businesses ought to be focused. But that doesn't mean they should ignore customer sentiment, because if they piss off enough of us, they won't make as much profit for the shareholders.

From 1999-2012, I flew UA almost exclusively. Even when it didn't make sense. I used to spend $10-12K every year. I now spent half that amount, and I don't think I'm alone. Ever since the horribly executed merger took place - which still isn't complete, amazingly so - customers and employees have borne the brunt of the mistakes made by Jeff Smisek and now Scott Kirby.

Let's not forget that Kirby was asked to leave American due to C Suite tensions. https://www.thestreet.com/story/1370...urce-says.html Maybe Kirby has learned from his experiences, maybe he hasn't. If UA is still the inconsistent mess it is today 18 months from now, I expect he will be shown the door. And deservedly so.
I don't think any C-suite executive at any airline is ignoring customer sentiments. What the customers often forget is that the domestic environment today is much different than it was between 1999-2010. As a general comment, it seems that some posters are calling a person a failure, or describing an entire company strategy as anti-customer because they're not getting what they got in the past.

Does United still need to improve? Heck yes.

Is comparing every aspect of United to Delta and ridiculing executives indicative of the intelligent adults we're supposed to be? No.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
Is comparing every aspect of United to Delta and ridiculing executives indicative of the intelligent adults we're supposed to be? No.
Who is "ridiculing" Kirby? He's being treated with far more respect than his predecessor.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
UAL’s profit: $637M
DAL’s profit: $1803M (nearly 3x, but who is counting?)
Wasn't quite that bad, spin. On a completely apples to apples basis:

UAL's pre-tax income, excl special items: $1.0 billion
DAL's pre-tax income, excl special items: $1.7 billion

(DAL's wording for "excl special items" is "adjusted.")

UA did suffer a larger pre-tax profit hit from the hurricanes ($185 million to DL's $120 million), but even taking that into account, UA lagged DL significantly.

The third quarter has historically been the big money-making quarter for airlines, and UA's mediocre performance is troubling given the seven years since the merger (the excuse of "well, the merger just happened, so we need to be patient" no longer holds any water).

And the beating will continue next quarter. DAL is projecting PRASM growth of 2-4%, UAL is projecting PRASM will shrink by (1-3%)
That's what I find most troubling. UA's third quater PRASM fell 3.7% year over year and UA is predicting more of the same in the fourth quarter. Meanwhile, DL's PRASM grew by 1.9% in Q3 and DL is predicting more growth in Q4. UA isn't just "behind, but catching up," UA is falling further behind.

If this performance continues, UA employees will become further demoralized as they witness inevitable concession demands from management. Nobody wants to see that again - so it behooves Kirby to right the ship and grow revenue and profit.

Who cares. Wall Street didn't. UAL beat expectations.
Oops. Wall Street did care later in the week. There's now quite a sale on UA stock, so for those who are confident that Kirby will right the ship, there's a lot more upside in UA stock than in DL or AA.

Hmmm, last I checked Delta has different hubs, fly different planes, a lot of different routes - is a lot bigger.
Depends on how you measure "a lot bigger." Delta is quite a bit bigger than UA in revenue and slightly larger in Revenue Passenger Miles (traffic) but UA is slightly larger in Available Seat Miles (capacity). Delta does have a larger mainline fleet, thanks mostly to its fortuitous acquisition of nearly every available 717 and the corresponding retirement of vast numbers of 50 seaters. But "a lot bigger"? I'm not sure I'd agree.

UA is flush with cash - Only FT would complain about $670 million in a 3 month period. They look to me like they are thriving just fine.
Profits are great. But if we're not allowed to compare the numbers to UA's competitors and discuss anything, then FT threads should be locked after the OP. Funny you mention "cash" (when you really meant "GAAP income") because cash flow was where UA really fell short in Q3:

UA operating cash flow in Q3: $577 million
DL operating cash flow in Q3: $1.6 billion

For those who ascribe value to "free cash flow," DL produced $477 million in Q3 while UA's free cash flow was ($505) million - yes, negative. UA borrowed to cover its capital investments.

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Immediately following the merger, my take is senior adopted the philosophy they had the ability to walk away from the customer as the customer needed them more than they needed the customer. I see this going back to the CO side of the house and the post-merger management sought to roll it out across the then freshly combined company. The error, as it seems to me, is two-fold:[INDENT] 1. The ability of pmUA customers to walk away was materially underestimated as pmUA lacked the fortress aspect of their hubs of CO/NW/DL. Said another way, the pmUA customer base could find alternative options if needed without too much pain...and they did.
I agree completely. Prior management sounded arrogant when they said "787" and "network" repeatedly to anyone who questioned their prowess. And it turned out that the 787 and the vaunted network weren't enough to dominate financially.

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Well said. My follow up comment would be this - if UA needs to defend their competitive hubs they need the capacity to do so. They need 753s, 767s, etc. not 175s. Focusing on increasing frequency with smaller aircraft, especially in space/gate constrained airports, seems like the wrong approach here. Rather punching back...hard with upgraded equipment seems appropriate. NK adds a 320 flight from ORD to wherever? No problem. UA dumps a widebody on the city pair and time with a far deeper well of discount inventory to draw from.
Again, I agree, although there are some situations where large planes just won't work anymore. An example is LGA-ORD where UA and AA have long dominated. Once DL acquired most all of LUS slots at LGA from desperate US Air, DL began flying 175s in competition with AA and UA, and it's only a matter of time before AA and UA have to consider the same thing now that they're sharing that route with a third powerhouse competitor.

I think the fact that DL is making more money than UA and is forecasting gains in PRASM next quarter while UA is predicting a loss in PRASM is far from hyperbole.
Agree. I actually feel bad for Oscar and Kirby. Previous management squandered an awful lot, and while Oscar may have been on the board of directors during that time, he's not totally to blame for JS' epic failure.

After some thought, I would concede that upgrades do contribute to Delta’s PRASM advantage. They have fewer upgrades and the additional fees/fares help yields.
I wonder if any analysis has been done/is publicly available on the revenue difference between the AA model of selling domestic upgrade stickers on plentiful upgrades and DL's new-found "let's sell more discounted First Class fares instead of upgrading for free" model. Many years ago, AA publicly said that its 500 mile domestic upgrade stickers produced more than $120 million of incremental revenue annually.

Lately, I've been buying more discounted domestic F rather than hoping for an upgrade, often rationalizing it when AA's domestic discounted F is cheaper than Southwest cattle class.

And in case anyone asks why UA's financial performance matters to this forum, it's because some of us have been around here for more than 15 years listening to long-gone windbags spouting nonsense about how the frequent flyer plans were bankrupting the airlines and how pruning those frequent flyer benefits would flow immediately to the bottom line.

UA jumped on the 00train in 2012, and 2017 looks to be the sixth straight year that UA will trail DL in financial success. DL whacked its frequent flyer programme as well, but it must have done something right to outpace UA quarter after quarter, year after year.

For those six years, some posters told us that UA's merger didn't happen until 2010 while DL had a "head start" (having merged with NW two years earlier). DL merged as the economy moved into a severe tailspin, while UA's merger didn't happen until the recovery had begun. Accordingly, I discount the "Delta had a big head start on UA" theories.

Even more telling is that AA began outperforming UA shortly after emergence from Ch 11 in late 2013 when it was dragged to the alter by the ugly girl US Air. UA/CO had a huge merger head start on AA/US yet new AA has beaten UA quarter after quarter.

Now the economic expansion is getting long in the tooth and still UA is making excuses for coming in third place in a three-man race. When the inevitable downturn/fuel price spike occurs, how prepared is UA to weather that storm?
BearX220 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
Talk to your customers --- pilots out of the cockpits,

The FAA might not like that one?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:20 pm

It’s a pretty good track record. There’s been a pattern of cost cuts, but also operational and revenue improvements, effectively saving 2 carriers from liquidation.

What’s lost in the FlyerTalk conversation is that C-suite executives are not bound to a pro- or anti-customer mindset. The blanket characterizations sometime used reflect an ignorance of how business works and a high level of immaturity.
I agree - the broad brush strokes painted here aren’t really representative of reality. As you state, Parker and Kirby both had experience in transitioning from a second tier operation, to a truly world-class global one in succeeding AMR. To insinuate they were too naive or arrogant to change their predisposed mindsets is a little far fetched.

Unfortunately, we have the outlier in Mr. Smisek & Co. - They really were as arrogant as their reputation spelled out. Yet just because Smisek was a certain way doesn’t mean Kirby will be. I already see him as far more nuanced and calculated in his approach than Smisek - You can tell if you listen to the man for a few minutes, especially in person. He doesn’t have the folksy demeanor of Oscar, but I appreciate him not trying to bend into something he’s not - Smisek tried that and he looked like an even larger aloof jerk.

Count me as cautiously optimistic vis-a-vis Kirby.
jasondc likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:47 pm

flown many times on 10 across on full flights USA - Abu Dhabi/ Dubai. It's not the worst thing in the world. Just be prepared. Most of the world's airlines have 10 across these days in Y on the 777. I'm not going to fault UA for moving towards this standard (although I'll probably be in J).
Botched BE roll out? Could they have been better there? absolutely. and I think long run they will figure it out and make it work.
10 across in Y on a 777? People want to pay $500 roundtrip from the USA to Europe. That's how you pay for it.

10 wide is bearable on a 5 hour flight. On a 10-14 hour TATL/TPAC, not at all.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by jasondc
flown many times on 10 across on full flights USA - Abu Dhabi/ Dubai. It's not the worst thing in the world. Just be prepared.
I'm happy for you that you think it is no big deal. I've done it, and I'm never doing it again.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Profits are great. But if we're not allowed to compare the numbers to UA's competitors and discuss anything, then FT threads should be locked after the OP. Funny you mention "cash" (when you really meant "GAAP income") because cash flow was where UA really fell short in Q3:

UA operating cash flow in Q3: $577 million
DL operating cash flow in Q3: $1.6 billion

For those who ascribe value to "free cash flow," DL produced $477 million in Q3 while UA's free cash flow was ($505) million - yes, negative. UA borrowed to cover its capital investments.
I agree that operating cash flow is the best measure of performance. Free cash flow may not be as relevant as the two airlines are in different places in their investment cycle. Delta spent 1/2 as much as United, which in turn spent twice as much as in 2016. Of course, United does have more aircraft purchase commitments in place: $22B, vs. $13B at Delta.

And in case anyone asks why UA's financial performance matters to this forum, it's because some of us have been around here for more than 15 years listening to long-gone windbags spouting nonsense about how the frequent flyer plans were bankrupting the airlines and how pruning those frequent flyer benefits would flow immediately to the bottom line.
There seems to have been a correlation between improved financial performance and an "enhancement" of frequent flyer programs. I think it is tough to say that MP's benefits are materially worse, or that continuing underperformance will lead to additional enhancements.

For those six years, some posters told us that UA's merger didn't happen until 2010 while DL had a "head start" (having merged with NW two years earlier). DL merged as the economy moved into a severe tailspin, while UA's merger didn't happen until the recovery had begun. Accordingly, I discount the "Delta had a big head start on UA" theories.

Even more telling is that AA began outperforming UA shortly after emergence from Ch 11 in late 2013 when it was dragged to the alter by the ugly girl US Air. UA/CO had a huge merger head start on AA/US yet new AA has beaten UA quarter after quarter.

Now the economic expansion is getting long in the tooth and still UA is making excuses for coming in third place in a three-man race. When the inevitable downturn/fuel price spike occurs, how prepared is UA to weather that storm?
There are lots of excuses for the post-merger results, some good and some bad. I personally think the results of the operational issues continue to haunt United today (conversely, AA, WN and now AS are taking a different approach to PSS consolidation, thanks in part to UA's mistakes).
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by jasondc
10 across in Y on a 777? People want to pay $500 roundtrip from the USA to Europe. That's how you pay for it.
But on the flip side, I just bought 4 tickets SFO-KUL-HKG-SFO (with side tickets to LGK.) I got offered $1575 RT on EVA, $1600 on CX. I did not even look at EVA, totally dead to me due to 3-4-3. I ended up paying CX $2150/ticket mostly in PE (with HKG-KUL is J). EVA, and I mean all of it, is off my radar.

I did not even bother looking at UA BTB as legs would be on the 77W.

I am now looking at trip to LHR in April, 4 tickets. Not even willing to look at UA, too much risk of 77W, we will take BA or more likely VS in PE.

The problem, as I keep saying is that yes, you may be able to try to keep your cost down to compete with ULLCs. But lets be serious, there is no way that UA with its high labor costs, big complex operation, and legacy costs can have lower costs than the ULLC, but if they offer ULLC like product, they will cause those who are willing to pay more to fly another airline.

Unlike say the ME3 - where most of their Y traffic has rarely, if ever, flown, and is also 2/3 the weight of an average american. - United relies on repeat traffic, and a bad experience, and 3-4-3 with big-ol-fat Americans next to you, is a great way to chase away repeat business.

If is not lost on me, although I think its probably lost on United that in the current (2017) sky track rankings this is how US flag carriers stacked up:

DL: 32 (up from 35 in 2016)
AS: 36 (up from 60 in 2016)
B6: 39 (up from 53 in 2016)
SWA 54 (up from 66 in 2016)
AA: 74 (up from 77 in 2016)
UA 78th (down from 68tth in 2016).

I think this is a realistic reflection of what UA has become, and putting seats in E+ (for their elite customers) that are .6" narrower than on a 737, with narrow aisles as well, and then expecting that they will be happy 5-10-12-15 hours later, well it just shows UA deserves it's crappy, and falling, reputation.

p.s. http://www.worldairlineawards.com/aw...ne_rating.html
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by Legend717
But that's NOT what happened.
That's wishful skewing.

Paraphrased, they didn't say "Shove off, we're doing what is best for us LONG-TERM."
They said, "We don't know the answers to your questions, so stop asking them."
And investors want profits. That's the way publicly traded companies work. If United can't handle that expectation, they should take themselves private.
Every corporation has to deal with short-sighted investors, as well as smarter ones.
And they have to deal with it better than Oscar/Kirby did.
I like Oscar's honesty. It tempers Kirby's arrogance, but not enough to justify the way the call went.
Reading it gives a different context. That's a very poor paraphrase. When it came to capacity, your first quote is far closer to what actually was said than the second.

They dealt with the analysts by rebuffing their desires. If they really wanted to, they could have placed capacity cuts on the potential menu and eased the delirium. They didn't, and the short-term investors weren't happy. Nice to see them sticking with what they believe is right for the company, not for what the investors want right this minute.

Last edited by minnyfly; Oct 23, 2017 at 1:15 pm
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by minnyfly
That's a very poor paraphrase. When it came to capacity, your first quote is far closer to what actually was said than the second.

They dealt with the analysts by rebuffing their desires. If they really wanted to, they could have placed capacity cuts on the potential menu and eased the delirium. They didn't, and the short-term investors weren't happy. Nice to see them sticking with what they believe is right for the company, not for what the investors want right this minute.
I don’t think the analyst unease was solely with capacity guidance, but rather the decision not to strongly commit to the guidance provided at the Investor Day or give a definitive timeline for when it would be achieved. For private companies, saying, “we have a new CFO and want to finish reviewing our financial plan before committing to it,” could be an acceptable response. It is not for a public company. The call was poorly planned for and mishandled. It can happen to any company, but I would expect a bit more foresite from an IR team run by a former analyst.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:42 am

I just had the opportunity to read the transcript of the earnings call, and some of it was hilarious.

Joseph DeNardi

Okay. Andrew, it looks like you guys recently made some changes to mileage plus award valuations, you had increased the price on some saver awards, added a fee to cancel. It seems like those decisions benefit the airline business, because the miles flow through at a better rate, but they effectively devalue the currency for consumers. So how far can you push that, before people stop signing up for the card, and why shouldn't I be worried that, unless your disclosures improve and the transparency gets better, the marketing company won't continue to subsidize the airlines?

Andrew Levy

We have made some changes. We have gone through a dynamic type of pricing environment. But we have been really careful on how we do that, to make sure that our customers still see a great value. And I don't think that has changed here. There were a few price points that went up. But there are not many price points that are actually lower, as they reflect the true availability on particular flights. So I don't think what we did over the last two weeks is going to change the dynamics at all.
Right, the award costs are going to go up, but our customers aren't going to care.

And this on the Polaris roll-out:

Andrew Nocella

But we also remember, there is many other components to Polaris. There is a new refined food offering, there is new amenities, blankets, and all of those things are available on all United Intercontinental flights, and are being well received by our customers. So we are well along the way. We'd like to go faster. But the feedback we have gotten in two days, I think has been fantastic, about the seat we have put on board and the changes we have made, and you will look for more and more of it over time, as we get more aircraft converted to include the seat, as well as all the other Polaris experiences.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/411...script?page=16

Really? Andrew must be focused on customer comments about the food and drink immediately after roll out, not the recent comments about cutbacks and downgrades.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
Isn't Oscar Kirby's boss? Oscar is the decision maker, the buck stops there.
Technically, Oscar is Kirby's boss. But in reality, Oscar was neutered when the board forced Kirby on him.

Originally Posted by tuolumne
The jury is still out on Kirby. It’s sort of amazing how quickly we are creating a new villainous narrative of an exec to lodge grievances on.
Nah. The jury is in. I was an AA EXP from 2002 to 2014. I saw first hand how Parker and Kirby destroyed all the good work that Tom Horton and his team did during the BK proceedings. It was palpable that the team would run AA in the ground. So I jumped to UA in 2013. Before Kirby's start date, I already predicted the future (correctly). The playbook is so similar between his AA days and UA days that one can practically predict every tactic.

There are two issues as I see it (and I think United does as well), which are in what Kirby said on the 1Q call:

"We have a Newark-based global services or 1K customer, and we started flying the regional jet to Atlanta and regional jets to Dulles and regional jets to Detroit...."
As if they really care about 1ks. I am one and the benefits of 1k are very elusive these days IMO. There is still some real love for GS, but anything beyond that...they really only care about the margin you provide. The moment you fly on a cheap ticket....that was what BE was all about legitimizing.

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Well, we know all about him for the past twenty years beginning with HP. Can't ask for much more of a track record.
Bingo.

Let's not forget that Kirby was asked to leave American due to C Suite tensions. https://www.thestreet.com/story/1370...urce-says.html Maybe Kirby has learned from his experiences, maybe he hasn't. If UA is still the inconsistent mess it is today 18 months from now, I expect he will be shown the door. And deservedly so.
I fear he will get a pass and Oscar will be shown the door. That is usually how it works when boards want to save face and not have to explain why they pushed in a new COO that then helped crater results. Much more expedient to say "Look over there! Oscar did it!"

Originally Posted by tuolumne
I agree - the broad brush strokes painted here aren’t really representative of reality. As you state, Parker and Kirby both had experience in transitioning from a second tier operation, to a truly world-class global one in succeeding AMR. To insinuate they were too naive or arrogant to change their predisposed mindsets is a little far fetched.

Unfortunately, we have the outlier in Mr. Smisek & Co. - They really were as arrogant as their reputation spelled out. Yet just because Smisek was a certain way doesn’t mean Kirby will be. I already see him as far more nuanced and calculated in his approach than Smisek - You can tell if you listen to the man for a few minutes, especially in person. He doesn’t have the folksy demeanor of Oscar, but I appreciate him not trying to bend into something he’s not - Smisek tried that and he looked like an even larger aloof jerk.

Count me as cautiously optimistic vis-a-vis Kirby.
With all due respect. Kirby and Parker wrecked AA. And his playbook at UA is identical up to now. I see nothing that gives me any kind of confidence that he will help UA in a meaningful way. I wish I was wrong, but I doubt I am in this case.

But on the flip side, I just bought 4 tickets SFO-KUL-HKG-SFO (with side tickets to LGK.) I got offered $1575 RT on EVA, $1600 on CX. I did not even look at EVA, totally dead to me due to 3-4-3. I ended up paying CX $2150/ticket mostly in PE (with HKG-KUL is J). EVA, and I mean all of it, is off my radar.

I am now looking at trip to LHR in April, 4 tickets. Not even willing to look at UA, too much risk of 77W, we will take BA or more likely VS in PE.

The problem, as I keep saying is that yes, you may be able to try to keep your cost down to compete with ULLCs. But lets be serious, there is no way that UA with its high labor costs, big complex operation, and legacy costs can have lower costs than the ULLC, but if they offer ULLC like product, they will cause those who are willing to pay more to fly another airline.

Unlike say the ME3 - where most of their Y traffic has rarely, if ever, flown, and is also 2/3 the weight of an average american. - United relies on repeat traffic, and a bad experience, and 3-4-3 with big-ol-fat Americans next to you, is a great way to chase away repeat business.

If is not lost on me, although I think its probably lost on United that in the current (2017) sky track rankings this is how US flag carriers stacked up:

I think this is a realistic reflection of what UA has become, and putting seats in E+ (for their elite customers) that are .6" narrower than on a 737, with narrow aisles as well, and then expecting that they will be happy 5-10-12-15 hours later, well it just shows UA deserves it's crappy, and falling, reputation.

Pretty much how I see things. I won't fly UA on personal international trips with the family unless it is a very short one. This X-mas, I am headed to Thailand with the fam and I didn't even bother to look at UA. Went straight to SQ and bought PE tix for a family of 4.

For private companies, saying, “we have a new CFO and want to finish reviewing our financial plan before committing to it,” could be an acceptable response. It is not for a public company. The call was poorly planned for and mishandled. It can happen to any company, but I would expect a bit more foresite from an IR team run by a former analyst.
Agreed. I think the lack of commitment and lack of clear understanding and guidance is what took the analysts aback. A completely amateurish call on the surface. Unfortunately, I suspect that is all they could do to hide that things might look far worse than they have let on so far and they are hoping for a miracle to occur before they have to disclose it....
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:00 am

fair enough

but you know that Cathay is going to 10 across on its 777s in economy, right?
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/cat...cross-economy/
And BA does the same on its 777s, as does Air France - you're aware of that yes?
Glad you can afford PE - that'll make the trip nice I'm sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.