Bait and switch?

Reply

Old Oct 12, 17, 7:14 pm
  #1
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Denver
Programs: UA Lifetime Plat 2MM. Starwood Lifetime Gold
Posts: 146
Bait and switch?

Have been looking at flights from DEN- KOA/HNL for April. A lot are showing lie flats in both directions. Last year was burned twice when selected flights because they were showing lie flats but all were changed about 2-3 months prior. Has UA decided to run theses as lie flats or am I setting myself up for disappointment ? Has anyone actually on any denver- Hawaii - Denver lie flats? Yes, I know a bit spoiled but pushing 75 and my back and knees react a lot better to the bigger planes😀😀. Thanks for any input
omsflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 7:24 pm
  #2
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Posts: 681
Originally Posted by omsflyer View Post
Have been looking at flights from DEN- KOA/HNL for April. A lot are showing lie flats in both directions. Last year was burned twice when selected flights because they were showing lie flats but all were changed about 2-3 months prior. Has UA decided to run theses as lie flats or am I setting myself up for disappointment ? Has anyone actually on any denver- Hawaii - Denver lie flats? Yes, I know a bit spoiled but pushing 75 and my back and knees react a lot better to the bigger planes😀😀. Thanks for any input
If they change equipment, you are allowed to change your itin (or at least request a refund).

I don't fly out of DEN so I can't provide historical data. But looking at this week's flight status, it appears DEN->HNL are lie flats while DEN->KOA are not.
laxmillenial is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 7:57 pm
  #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 32,311
The thread title doesn't make any sense. It isn't bait & switch. In fact, while UA has no obligation to do so, unlike other carriers, it will permit you to cancel for a refund.
Often1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:00 pm
  #4
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 7,968
Originally Posted by omsflyer View Post
Have been looking at flights from DEN- KOA/HNL for April.
6 months. Many things can happen.

Originally Posted by omsflyer View Post
Has UA decided to run theses as lie flats or am I setting myself up for disappointment ?
DEN-HNL is always served by lie-flat. Assume no for DEN-KOA as it is aircraft dependent.
garykung is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:33 pm
  #5
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: United 1K*G / Marriott Gold /SPG Gold / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 6,657
Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
If they change equipment, you are allowed to change your itin (or at least request a refund).

.
As a 1K it took 15 min one the phone for a "one time favor" for them to switch us to the earlier flight after our 777HD went to 737 for SFO-HNL. The flight back went from 777HD to 773...I didn't call in about that.
JVPhoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:36 pm
  #6
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Costco Platinum Executive
Posts: 3,558
Schedule changes in the coming months is a poor excuse for offering a product and eventually not delivering on it.

But I can't resist the irony of buying into UA's "lie flat" and then receiving something totally different.
sinoflyer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:40 pm
  #7
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MRY - CNX - TXL
Programs: United 1K*G / Marriott Gold /SPG Gold / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Posts: 6,657
Originally Posted by sinoflyer View Post
Schedule changes in the coming months is a poor excuse for offering a product and eventually not delivering on it.
Booking flights 6 months in advance is a poor excuse for expecting that you won't have my types of changes to your flights.
JVPhoto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:44 pm
  #8
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Costco Platinum Executive
Posts: 3,558
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
Booking flights 6 months in advance is a poor excuse for expecting that you won't have my types of changes to your flights.
Hawaii is different. People plan their vacations months up to a whole year ahead. For business markets I would have been more understanding.
sinoflyer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:55 pm
  #9
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Metro Vancouver
Programs: DREAD Gold Card holder; UA 1.018MM; SPG Au-197; MR Au-197; PCC Elite+; WS Au-195; WoH Exp
Posts: 46,680
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
Booking flights 6 months in advance is a poor excuse for expecting that you won't have my types of changes to your flights.
It's no problem for 90% of all airlines on the planet.
mahasamatman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:55 pm
  #10
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Posts: 681
Originally Posted by sinoflyer View Post
Hawaii is different. People plan their vacations months up to a whole year ahead. For business markets I would have been more understanding.
The level of...fire between you two, lol. #heated

Yes, it sucks. Yes, people plan vacations to Hawaii (including my parents) a year out. Yes, it sucked when they had an equipment change to non-lie flats. But hey, these things happen and they went with it as best as they could.

Let's be real, what percentage of flyers book based on equipment? For example, a 777-300ER vs a 787. or a 777-200 vs a 737-900. I'd wager its extremely small percentage and concentrated on Flyertalk mostly. Heck, I didn't even began recognizing the differences between economy seats until I started flying >50k a year. My first year of flying, I was a newb! Economy was Economy!
laxmillenial is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:56 pm
  #11
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Posts: 681
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
It's no problem for 90% of all airlines on the planet.
I think Thai would fall in the 10% I don't think I've ever had more inconsistency in a route than with Thai. And that's including United.
laxmillenial is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 9:03 pm
  #12
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by omsflyer View Post
Have been looking at flights from DEN- KOA/HNL for April. A lot are showing lie flats in both directions.
I don't think UA has any non-lie-flat aircraft that can fly from DEN to Hawaii nonstop. If it's a nonstop, it will be a lie-flat.
AustinPilot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 9:05 pm
  #13
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by laxmillenial View Post
I But looking at this week's flight status, it appears DEN->HNL are lie flats while DEN->KOA are not.
This week's DEN->KOA nonstop (Saturday only) is most definitely a lie-flat.
AustinPilot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 9:13 pm
  #14
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, SY, WN, VX, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 4,619
Originally Posted by AustinPilot View Post
I don't think UA has any non-lie-flat aircraft that can fly from DEN to Hawaii nonstop. If it's a nonstop, it will be a lie-flat.
I'm pretty sure a 753 can do it. Not sure if they have assigned them though.

ed. maybe not - looks to be pretty far out on the range there.
findark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 9:19 pm
  #15
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tokyo
Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Posts: 581
Originally Posted by sinoflyer View Post
Schedule changes in the coming months is a poor excuse for offering a product and eventually not delivering on it.

But I can't resist the irony of buying into UA's "lie flat" and then receiving something totally different.
Please let us know a better one !
BRITINJAPAN3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:38 pm.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.