Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

WN to Hawaii - Impact on UA after increased capacity announcements

WN to Hawaii - Impact on UA after increased capacity announcements

Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
If you look ahead in the schedule, these 752s downgauge into 738s. I was looking around Valentine's Day for the weekend.
The 738 is often a placeholder for LIH. Not saying it won't stick, but it's possible the 757 may be there as well.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree that ONT-Hawaii would be a welcome option for So.Cal. However, does WN have enough of feeder flights to/from ONT to make this work?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Allegiant, bailed flying from the West Coast to HNL. Let's see what WN can do? Time will tell. The kettles will fly WN, because of two free bags and they are still considered a "low cost carrier". That is not true anymore. Compare airfares. WN is many times higher. Kettles do not know this. Good luck to HA (HAL) with this upcoming bloodbath.

Wait for the next news, WN will provide inter-island service. That will be a game changer. I could see this, if there is a profit to be made. HA must be shaking in their flip-flops. ALOHA!
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I can't understand this either - not just for Hawaiian, but for any airline that can run an aircraft into ONT first thing in the morning, send it to HNL, bring it back in the afternoon, then send it on a redeye back to where it came from.

Not only that, but a small premium could be charged given the savings in time, gas, parking and other hassles anyone east of the 57 freeway would need to deal with going to LAX vs ONT. Flights from ONT pull from a massive catchment stretching from around mid-way between the 605 and 57, up through the High Desert, and down the 15 into Temecula - on the east, the catchment can stretch all the way to Palm Springs assuming you can do a nonstop from ONT to key destinations that would otherwise require 2+ stops from PSP. Last year one of the Chinese airlines was planning nonstop service from ONT, but so far I don't see any updates on that service starting, either.

I could never understand why ONT is so underutilized given the population and businesses that rival that of many large cities with a fully functional and busy airport, so let's hope this is airport #1 on WN's Hawaii list.
ONT suffers because 1) the financial base in the Inland Empire isn't strong, 2) LAX, SNA, LAS, PSP and SAN all pull from various parts of ONT's catchment and 3) Hawaiian flies aircraft that are just too big. They flew a mix of DC-10s and 767s when they were there before, which simply isn't sustainable.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by N1120A
ONT suffers because 1) the financial base in the Inland Empire isn't strong, 2) LAX, SNA, LAS, PSP and SAN all pull from various parts of ONT's catchment and 3) Hawaiian flies aircraft that are just too big. They flew a mix of DC-10s and 767s when they were there before, which simply isn't sustainable.
I believe HA has 321s on order that will be replacing the 767s and a330s to most of their mainland destinations.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
The 738 is often a placeholder for LIH. Not saying it won't stick, but it's possible the 757 may be there as well.
Placeholders work both ways for United. This past April, I had booked 777 pods HNL-SFO on the afternoon eastbound flight. Paid a fare premium to go on this flight versus the red eye. About two months out, the 777 was replaced by a 739.

Since the schedule "enhancement" to the islands I've been downgauged more than I've been upgauged.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I believe HA has 321s on order that will be replacing the 767s and a330s to most of their mainland destinations.
HA is using the A321neo (starting in Jan 2018) to initially replace B763 routes and then expand to new routes. I for one am looking forward to it as Hawaiian will serve LIH year round from OAK (currently it is period seasonal service with a 763) and it will provide an option from the often times downgaged (to a 738) and expensive UA service when going to LIH.

I would expect WN, especially given its demographic base, to only serve OGG and HNL at first. I think that the service to secondary cities by Hawaiian will actually have a bigger impact on UA than what WN is doing.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
Congrats. I fly them pretty frequently, including yesterday, b/c it's 45 minutes extra for me to cross the bay. If you think 32" pitch on WN is the same as 32" pitch on SQ you're delusional.
Pitch is pitch. There's no gaming that figure. And slimlines only increase the actual space between seats. Plus as WN installs more seats with the literature pocket up high, it opens up the legroom even more.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
Placeholders work both ways for United. This past April, I had booked 777 pods HNL-SFO on the afternoon eastbound flight. Paid a fare premium to go on this flight versus the red eye. About two months out, the 777 was replaced by a 739.

Since the schedule "enhancement" to the islands I've been downgauged more than I've been upgauged.
That's fair. I'm just speaking from my experience on Kauai. Most flights IME have been 757s. At very minimum, LIH-DEN will be a 757.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:22 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Originally Posted by spin88
HA is using the A321neo (starting in Jan 2018) to initially replace B763 routes and then expand to new routes.
Beat me to it, was going to say not just on order, but being built and awaiting delivery.

Originally Posted by minnyfly
Pitch is pitch. There's no gaming that figure. And slimlines only increase the actual space between seats. Plus as WN installs more seats with the literature pocket up high, it opens up the legroom even more.
NO, while pitch is pitch, as I understand it when you downgrade to slimilnes it isn't to give more room between seats, but to keep the distance the same by moving mag holder high up on the seatback in order to get an extra row or two in.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by EmailKid
NO, while pitch is pitch, as I understand it when you downgrade to slimilnes it isn't to give more room between seats, but to keep the distance the same by moving mag holder high up on the seatback in order to get an extra row or two in.
Slimlines are simply a seat with a slimmer profile. The pocket may be down low, it may up top--it varies. The seat itself takes up less space, so that gives the passenger more space, if pitch is held constant (it usually isn't and instead offset with tighter pitch). Moving the literature holder up high helps a bit too for knee room, and WN offers this with their newest seat.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
The worst flight I have had to HNL was from SFO on a UA 737-900, in F. Bad weather prevented me from making my 777 with pod seating connection. I was in the last row in F with NO recline. I could not believe it! This was a paid first class ticket. As UA puts smaller planes on its Hawaii routes, its competitive advantage diminishes. I usually take the N/S IAD-HNL-IAD flights when possible, but they don't run daily year round. I have read the Honolulu Star-Advertiser article on WN entering the Hawaii market and eager anticipation is palpable.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by PACLipper

I was in the last row in F with NO recline.
I've been in this seat, and it DID recline.

Maybe you had a malfunctioning seat, but normally it DOES recline. It is not the last row of a CRJ.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Can't believe this thread has devolved into a pitch debate so here are some facts. WN 738s have 32" pitch vs UA Y 738/9 at 31". SQ does not fly 737s nor single aisle aircraft nor to hawaii. WN doesn't charge for bags or rebooking fees and less for onboard alcohol. UA offers products beyond Y and BoB options. What is odd that the red vs blue battle doesnt notice that while WN hasn't changed their product, UA has stripped away amenities to the point that UA comes with less amenities than WN. WN is not an LCC anymore but the value proposition is known to flyers.

Question...if you are non elite, who should i fly in Y to Hawaii? UA is way down the list compared to other carriers including no free meals like AA or DL. Sad that UA does not offer anything unique to a non-elite Y flyer that is not offered by OAs. But hey we got 3-4-3 so at least Y flyers have that
seigex likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:48 pm

The interesting bit is if their companion pass will work on Hawaii flights. Everybody seems to be assuming so, but they haven't said that it will.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Given that Southwest hasn't announced routes, frequencies, nor a start date, there isn't much intelligent commentary that can be made regarding market capacity and pricing.
When did that ever stop anybody in this forum? You could say the same thing in almost every thread here.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Oct 14, 2017 at 9:54 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.