Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling on UA with a portable oxygen concentrator - Questions, Experiences, Etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2021, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The disability number has now been updated to 1-800-228-2744

Carry-on allowance
You're also allowed to bring the following items on board, in addition to your one bag and one personal item limit (Footnote 2):

Jacket or umbrella
Reading material
Food or merchandise purchased in the airport
Assistive devices (collapsible wheelchair, cane, one set of crutches, medical devices needed to administer prescription medications, portable oxygen concentrator, etc.)
FAA-approved child restraint system or safety seat
Diaper bag
Breast pump
Pet carrier (service charges apply for in-cabin pets)
related thread
Traveling on UA with a CPAP Device - Questions, Experiences, Etc.

Print Wikipost

Traveling on UA with a portable oxygen concentrator - Questions, Experiences, Etc

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:21 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Good to know that the hard wired circuit isn't available anymore. The disability/accessibility desk tried to be helpful and phoned around but couldn't find anything out regarding the wattage.

I found this old thread which gives a range of wattages - however the values given appear to be guesstimates; also perhaps it depends on the plane

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...estions-9.html

It's in the hands of GS now - I'll report back if I get the wattage specs
There was one employee who back in the pre-merger day when they did bring power to your seat, who approved whether or not your medical equipment could be used on in-seat power. He may not be around but if I find his email address I will pass it along through PM. I had to send him the relevant parts of the manual.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Update: GS were useless but in fairness it was a curve ball. I'm going to go with 65-70 Watts typical per socket as that's the range that has most frequently been guestimated here on FT
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Update: GS were useless but in fairness it was a curve ball. I'm going to go with 65-70 Watts typical per socket as that's the range that has most frequently been guestimated here on FT
I believe that the maximum available at these outlets is 75 watts. If your device attempts to draw mre than the maximum the circuit breaker will trip.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:27 am

Sorry it took so long to find the email of the person at United. I don’t know whether or not he’s still working there. I will send it to you via PM.

My device had a power requirement (210VAC) and that device was higher than the aircraft in-seat power output (75VAC). I was advised by the Cabin Systems Engineer that I could only use my device with a battery power supply (cannot connect to the in-seat power, it will trip the circuit breaker at the outlet).
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Pat89339
My device had a power requirement (210VAC) and that device was higher than the aircraft in-seat power output (75VAC).
I think you mean watts, which is the power consumption. It's independent of voltage ("V") and current type ("AC" or "DC"). Your device may have had a voltage specification of, say, 100-240 VAC, but the numbers above don't work for any consumer electronics.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by ajGoes
I think you mean watts, which is the power consumption. It's independent of voltage ("V") and current type ("AC" or "DC"). Your device may have had a voltage specification of, say, 100-240 VAC, but the numbers above don't work for any consumer electronics.
The text was from an email from United. I see now that he made a typo looking at the info I sent him from the manual.
Attached Images  
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
And, of course, the outlet should be able to recharge a battery, even if you are not running the actual device directly from the outlet
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:28 pm

You need a separate charger for that b/c you usually charge the battery while it's in the POC. If you have one - no problem.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: United Platinum, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Traveling with portable oxygen concentrator

My wife who has COPD normally doesn't need supplemental o2, but a few years ago on a flight from Cleveland to Los Angeles, she was short of breath and could have used some supplemental oxygen. So I bought this Respironics mini go for her and a portable nebulizer. The problem is United says you need to have 15 hours of battery, but the standard battery lasts maybe 4.5 hours. I couldn't find any extended batteries anywhere that would arrive in time. The need for the POC is documented on the reservation already. We also have the certificate from united filled out by the physician to carry with us. Are we going to have a problem because we don't have the extended battery? Are they going to be that strict about this? She has flown many times recently without any need, but this is something she could use if an exacerbation occurred. We are supposed to be flying tomorrow.
Any advice welcome
Old Dec 8, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The rule of thumb is total travel time plus 3h contingency, but this would be for a passenger requiring full-time O2, and that's only a recommendation. If your wife only requires it on an as-needed basis, then you should be fine. United won't prohibit you from bringing and using a POC unless it is not FAA-approved.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Regardless of what United enforces, don't travel unless you can do so safely including reasonable margin for en-route delays.
scottemick and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 6:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

United simply asked if we had enough battery life and that was the end of it.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by scottemick
United simply asked if we had enough battery life and that was the end of it.
United legally cannot "deny boarding" of your POC unless it is not FAA-approved for inflight use. The battery question is for the benefit of the user.
scottemick likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

It was no hassle at all. They just asked if we had enough battery and we said we did. She didn't need it at all, which was really good...But at least we had 5 hours of supplemental O2 on 2 5 hour flights..
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Roger that....since I bought the concentrator on short notice, standard and extended batteries were all on back order....We'll have 24 hours worth of battery in the future which is way overkill but better to have more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.