Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling on UA with a portable oxygen concentrator - Questions, Experiences, Etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2021, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The disability number has now been updated to 1-800-228-2744

Carry-on allowance
You're also allowed to bring the following items on board, in addition to your one bag and one personal item limit (Footnote 2):

Jacket or umbrella
Reading material
Food or merchandise purchased in the airport
Assistive devices (collapsible wheelchair, cane, one set of crutches, medical devices needed to administer prescription medications, portable oxygen concentrator, etc.)
FAA-approved child restraint system or safety seat
Diaper bag
Breast pump
Pet carrier (service charges apply for in-cabin pets)
related thread
Traveling on UA with a CPAP Device - Questions, Experiences, Etc.

Print Wikipost

Traveling on UA with a portable oxygen concentrator - Questions, Experiences, Etc

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Please help: Traveling with portable oxygen

I am travelling with my mother and my mother has a portable oxygen concentrator. This is the first time travelling with oxygen, so I did as much research as possible to make sure there would be no problems.

The device is approved by the FAA, and the device my mom is using is approved - https://www.faa.gov/about/initiative...rtable_oxygen/

I also got the doctor to complete the required form (Medican Verification Statement) in order bring the oxygen on board.

I will be flying from New York to Poland on LOT and I contacted the airline about the device, and was told to just complete the form and send it in once the ticked is booked.

Here is the complication:
I booked an award ticket via United for a LOT flight from New York to Poland.

Now LOT is saying that since the flight was booked by United, LOT doesn't have access to the system in order to mark the reservation as needing oxygen. I spoke to a few people on LOT and they instructed me to contact United since the reservation was made by United, and so United must input the medical form into the reservation system.

I contacted United, and United is saying that LOT must do everything...

So I have a big problem right now. Both United and LOT representatives don't seem to know much about the oxygen procedures. Everytime I call either airline I get put on hold for a long time, as the representatives need to ask their supervisors on what to do... It just seems both United and LOT is confused on what to do.

I'm not sure what to do next. I would appreciate any advice.

Last edited by IamVader; Oct 4, 2015 at 2:01 pm
Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I have no idea who is the right contact but have you talked to United Airlines medical / disabilities desk -- they should at least be knowledgeable.

24-hour Disability desk at the United Customer Contact Center 1-800-228-2744

United's Portable oxygen concentrator info

LOT's (e-mailable) Requiring Special Assistance (Medical) form

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 4, 2015 at 2:19 pm Reason: LOT form
Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do a three-way call with the UA disabilities desk and LOT, preferably during business hours in Poland, and you will reach a solution.

LOT may very well not have access to the PNR at this point, but it does need the information.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
have you talked to United Airlines medical / disabilities desk -- they should at least be knowledgeable.
And if that doesn't work, I'd get the social media team involved. They seem to be able to pull off a lot of feats that the standard channels can't.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Thank you all.

I ended up faxing and emailing the form to both United and LOT. The flight went smoothly and I didn't have any problems
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Question Do POCs work/charge on the UA outlets

POC is Portable Oxygen Concentrator. The machine I'm looking at is 2.5 Amps. (Sequal Equinox).
I know the FAA/Airline rules and regulations surrounding POCs on planes so no need to go into that stuff.
However, the info I really need is whether these machines will work off the UA AC/outlet and I'm hitting a brick wall talking to UA.
The charging part is going to be specific to the machine and I don't expect anyone to know that for this particular machine, but put it in just in case.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by ermintrude
POC is Portable Oxygen Concentrator. The machine I'm looking at is 2.5 Amps. (Sequal Equinox).
I know the FAA/Airline rules and regulations surrounding POCs on planes so no need to go into that stuff.
However, the info I really need is whether these machines will work off the UA AC/outlet and I'm hitting a brick wall talking to UA.
The charging part is going to be specific to the machine and I don't expect anyone to know that for this particular machine, but put it in just in case.
Damn too bad you didn't post a few days ago! I was on a flight in F in an E-175 and someone was using one in flight. Of course I didn't look to see if they were using the outlet.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
2.5 amps doesn't tell us enough. I suspect that's the current it draws at 12 volts, which would mean the device uses 30 watts. If so, it will draw much less than the 60 watts or so that that the airplane's power outlet can provide before switching off.

That assumes the power is working, which is not guaranteed.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
2.5 amps doesn't tell us enough. I suspect that's the current it draws at 12 volts, which would mean the device uses 30 watts. If so, it will draw much less than the 60 watts or so that that the airplane's power outlet can provide before switching off.

That assumes the power is working, which is not guaranteed.
good Point:

Power Consumption:
1 LPM Continuous Flow = 52 watts
3 LPM Continuous Flow = 145 watts
Setting of 1 on Pulse Dose = 44 watts
Setting of 6 on Pulse Dose = 95 watts

I'm looking for someone who typically uses 3L/min continuous but can get away with 3/L min pulse so I guess assume 65 watts.

Are those outlets rated for 60 watts then?

Yep I know that power cycles around the plane.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are not getting solid information from UA because UA won't permit the use of necessary medical devices on those "convenience" circuits. If you require a circuit, UA hardwires one for your seat for the flight.

If you frame the question as "I require onboard O2, with whom do I speak" you will wind up with the right people.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
You are not getting solid information from UA because UA won't permit the use of necessary medical devices on those "convenience" circuits. If you require a circuit, UA hardwires one for your seat for the flight.

If you frame the question as "I require onboard O2, with whom do I speak" you will wind up with the right people.
Interesting; thanks I'll give UA call on that basis - I had no idea UA could do this for a seat under normal circumstances.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:22 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1

United no longer provides a hardwired circuit at your seat. Post-Merger they stopped providing this service for all medical devices. You are now required to bring sufficient batteries to cover 150% of the blocked time for your flight for Oxygen Concentrators and other medical devices. .

OP needs to talk to the Disability Desk for the current rules: 800-228-2744 or email: [email protected]
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Pat89339
United no longer provides a hardwired circuit at your seat. Post-Merger they stopped providing this service for all medical devices. You are now required to bring sufficient batteries to cover 150% of the blocked time for your flight for Oxygen Concentrators and other medical devices. .

OP needs to talk to the Disability Desk for the current rules: 800-228-2744 or email: [email protected]
Good to know that the hard wired circuit isn't available anymore. The disability/accessibility desk tried to be helpful and phoned around but couldn't find anything out regarding the wattage.

I found this old thread which gives a range of wattages - however the values given appear to be guesstimates; also perhaps it depends on the plane

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...estions-9.html

It's in the hands of GS now - I'll report back if I get the wattage specs
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:15 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
why do you need an outlet in the first place? what if the power is inop or you get a dark ac? or is this purely for convenience.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by cur
why do you need an outlet in the first place? what if the power is inop or you get a dark ac? or is this purely for convenience.
Backup and peace of mind in case of delays etc and for reserve at the destination - the pax has the batteries for 150%. A prescribed level of 3L/min O2 supply means that someone can reach a low blood O2 concentration relatively quickly.

If the outlet is bad the FA will switch seats. I can see to that remotely if necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.