Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search for GPU Flight when my GPU=0

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Search for GPU Flight when my GPU=0

Hello FT Pros

I am out of GPU and typically use the UA.com multi city search with the GPU upgrade selected as my starting search for easy upgrade flights

However I have used all of my GPU so the upgrade option has now disappeared.

Is there any way to search for the GPU upgrade when my GPU inventory is zero

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
Yes, you can, but it's not the simplest of tasks.

GPUs book into "R" class, so you have to find flight segments that have "R" class available.

You have to enable "expert mode" through your profile on United.com. Log into your account, and on the "My Account" page, scroll to the bottom to the "Profile" box, and select "Manage Profile." Then, under "Preferences," select "view all flight search preferences." Then check the box under "Expert Mode" agreeing to enable Expert Mode.

This will turn on your ability to see the fare class availability when you search for individual flights, and look under "details." You'll see all the fare classes listed and the number of units of each inventory. Most of the time you'll see "R0" meaning zero R seats available. In order to use a GPU, you'll need to see "R1" or higher.

You have to look for each flight segment separately - you cannot look for connecting flights all in one search, because it will only show "R" availability if it's available on both flights. For example, if you're looking to fly from LAX to HKG (requires a connection), you would have to look for SFO-HKG or ORD-HKG first, to see if the transpacific flight has R space, and then you can search for the domestic leg separately (which I assume would, in this case, be less important for securing the upgrade). If you try to do it all in one search, LAX-HKG, it'll only show you R space on United flights if it's available on both the LAX-SFO and the SFO-HKG flights.

I hope this makes sense!
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeem
Yes, you can, but it's not the simplest of tasks.

GPUs book into "R" class, so you have to find flight segments that have "R" class available.

You have to enable "expert mode" through your profile on United.com. Log into your account, and on the "My Account" page, scroll to the bottom to the "Profile" box, and select "Manage Profile." Then, under "Preferences," select "view all flight search preferences." Then check the box under "Expert Mode" agreeing to enable Expert Mode.

This will turn on your ability to see the fare class availability when you search for individual flights, and look under "details." You'll see all the fare classes listed and the number of units of each inventory. Most of the time you'll see "R0" meaning zero R seats available. In order to use a GPU, you'll need to see "R1" or higher.

You have to look for each flight segment separately - you cannot look for connecting flights all in one search, because it will only show "R" availability if it's available on both flights. For example, if you're looking to fly from LAX to HKG (requires a connection), you would have to look for SFO-HKG or ORD-HKG first, to see if the transpacific flight has R space, and then you can search for the domestic leg separately (which I assume would, in this case, be less important for securing the upgrade). If you try to do it all in one search, LAX-HKG, it'll only show you R space on United flights if it's available on both the LAX-SFO and the SFO-HKG flights.

I hope this makes sense!
Just a quick add, remember to log out and then back in to enable Expert Mode.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
You don't need expert mode or to login. Just select "Mileage Plus Upgrade Awards". It all clears out of R so you'll get the same results. If it tells you an upgrade is available then a GPU will clear as well. If R>0 isnt enough and you need the exact number, then you'll need to login and use expert mode
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by eng3
You don't need expert mode or to login. Just select "Mileage Plus Upgrade Awards". It all clears out of R so you'll get the same results. If it tells you an upgrade is available then a GPU will clear as well. If R>0 isnt enough and you need the exact number, then you'll need to login and use expert mode
Makes sense ! Thanks for the help. I have expert mode so I’ll look both ways when required

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.