Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Northern California Wildfires (October 11, 2017 - October 15, 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Waiver: Northern California Wildfires (October 11, 2017 - October 15, 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Kacee
The inbound long hauls are much less likely to be delayed than the short hauls (e.g., LAX, PDX, etc.).
The only IAH/SFO flight that hasn't been significantly delayed the last couple of days has been the first 0723 departure. Today the 0915 left IAH departed almost 3 hours late. In the typical "low clouds" ATC case, you'd be looking at typically 60-90 minutes, absolute worst case wind/rain 120 minutes.

Regarding another comment upstream regarding approach, over the past couple of days I've seen the incoming EU flights lined up N/S near the coast all the way up to WA on a 180 heading, vs. the normal ~200-210 cutting across SE WA/ID, central OR, and CA. The 747 tankers seem to be operating at 5000 or less, so I don't know if it's the fire ops or smoke or ?? that is causing this unusual fair weather approach scheme. These are LH458 from Sunday and Tuesday.
Attached Images   
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by garkster
Regarding another comment upstream regarding approach, over the past couple of days I've seen the incoming EU flights lined up N/S near the coast all the way up to WA on a 180 heading, vs. the normal ~200-210 cutting across SE WA/ID, central OR, and CA. The 747 tankers seem to be operating at 5000 or less, so I don't know if it's the fire ops or smoke or ?? that is causing this unusual fair weather approach scheme. These are LH458 from Sunday and Tuesday.
Likely driven by winds enroute rather than the terminal conditions.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by mduell
Likely driven by winds enroute rather than the terminal conditions.
Agree. Much of the wind issues we have had for the last week or longer have been North/Northeast winds.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Alaska has extended their waiver through the 20th. Chance of UA match?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Alaska has extended their waiver through the 20th. Chance of UA match?
not sure. Might not even be needed. Things seem good at SF/SFO today. No FAA delay program set. Delays minimal / nonexistent even on short haul flights.

Air in the city seems breathable for the first time all week. It was amazingly clear this morning.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: Platinum
My wife decided to skip SFO, and was able to get a flight through DEN to EUG on 10/16. No waiver, but the CS agent did the change without any fees.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just landed at SFO, and I can't remember the last time I saw such a beautiful, clear day over the entire bay.

We overflew 2 fires to the north, but the wind was obviously blowing the smoke from them out to sea well north of the bay area.

Overflying the airport headed south I could make out every single aircraft on the ground, and then as we turned at the very south of the bay even the city was clearly visible.

UA's crystal ball obviously misfired on this one...
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by docbert
Just landed at SFO, and I can't remember the last time I saw such a beautiful, clear day over the entire bay.

We overflew 2 fires to the north, but the wind was obviously blowing the smoke from them out to sea well north of the bay area.

Overflying the airport headed south I could make out every single aircraft on the ground, and then as we turned at the very south of the bay even the city was clearly visible.

Ah... Marin and Sonoma counties, the two counties immediately north of SF, and very commonly considered part of the Bay Area, were very smoky today. So, no, not "well north" of the Bay Area. I know, I live here.

All it takes is one or two degrees difference in the wind direction, and the smoke is down on SFO. I don't think United, their weather folks, or the FAA, who is ultimately responsible for any landing restrictions at SFO(not UA) did anything wrong.

But, as many think here, United is ultimately responsible for everything.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Things are doing much better today for most of the bay, but also I'm not aware of there being a GDP this afternoon? Current status looks like SFO is running a full capacity.

I finally got to open my windows today though, it was a nice break from the terrible air all week.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat

I mean, if you read the posts above you, people were saying the exact opposite. Flights in and out of SFO were absolutely dreadfully delayed. They were wondering about changing connections on Oct 15, and even one person on Oct 18! People were hoping to proactively change their flights as we couldn't see the situation improving even next week.

So, wouldn't you prefer United err on the side of caution? I mean, if they didn't and put a 1-2 delay up, can you imagine the number of posts saying "I can't believe UA didn't see this coming based on the magnitude of the fires".
comfortablynumb likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:29 pm
Original Member

Any thoughts on delays in SJC?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sggolf
Certainly nothing related to the smoke. It's a beautiful day in the South Bay today - visibility well over the "10 miles" that counts as "unlimited". A bit very light haze, but no more than you'd get on any other day of the year.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SFO is special due to the parallel runways, which require 1000 ft visibility otherwise they impose flow control, leading to delays/cancels.

SJC and OAK have not been affected by the smoke.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
SJC is almost never delayed. This past week has not been an exception.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:51 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Although it's a bit smoky -- and warm (75F) -- in S.F. tonight, the only delay program shown active by the FAA as of 1945 PDT is in Toronto (CYYZ), due to weather and winds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.