Segment on JetStar - Baggage Allowance?

Old Oct 12, 17, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Segment on JetStar - Baggage Allowance?

Unbeknownst to me, JetStar is a United partner airline. I just booked a great deal (albeit in Y) back to the US from NZ, where the first segment is on JetStar connecting to a United flight. What are the baggage rules/allowances on something like this? It's a United issued ticket, which allows for a free checked bag, but we'll be checking in with JetStar, who definitely don't. Anyone encountered this scenario? Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 17, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA GS/4MM, Cathay Pacific Dia, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, SPG75, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Yes, my daughter did a few years ago and we paid a fortune in baggage fees. She was returning from her term abroad and I think she (actually me) spent about $300 in baggage fees, I don't recall exactly except that it was a crazy amount. Her flight was from Brisbane to Sydney on JetStar and connecting on UA.
Old Oct 12, 17, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Strange that UA would book a Jetstar flight from NZ when their Star Alliance partner is Air New Zealand.
Was this booked thru the UA site or via a travel agent.
If the latter it might be a cobbled together fare and you are up for baggage charges.
I know within Australia where there is no Star Alliance airlines UA sometimes uses QANTAS as a feeder and there are no baggage charges when making connections. Being a QANTAS subsidiary this sometimes can mean a Jetstar flight but have never heard baggage charge complaints in that case (apart from the one above).
Old Oct 12, 17, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SY, WN, VX, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by grapegrower View Post
Strange that UA would book a Jetstar flight from NZ when their Star Alliance partner is Air New Zealand.
Was this booked thru the UA site or via a travel agent.
If the latter it might be a cobbled together fare and you are up for baggage charges.
I know within Australia where there is no Star Alliance airlines UA sometimes uses QANTAS as a feeder and there are no baggage charges when making connections. Being a QANTAS subsidiary this sometimes can mean a Jetstar flight but have never heard baggage charge complaints in that case (apart from the one above).
UA generally allows intra-ANZ connections on all of NZ, QF, JQ, and VA. While it helps for flexibility, I try as hard as I can to stay on NZ for the *A recognition (and it's also a pretty great airline). For hops in Australia, that's not an option though.
Old Oct 12, 17, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

I also found it odd, given the Air New Zealand partnership, but who knows.

Yes, this was booked/ticketed directly with United. So, I'm thinking we should be fine, but I'm wondering how to convince a check-in agent of that if they push back. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 17, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by Aknoff View Post
Unbeknownst to me, JetStar is a United partner airline.
They aren't a "partner airline" as such. United does, however, sell tickets on JQ and they do have a (ticket) interline agreement.

I just booked a great deal (albeit in Y) back to the US from NZ, where the first segment is on JetStar connecting to a United flight. What are the baggage rules/allowances on something like this?
What is the actual routing (in particular, domestic or international for the JQ segment).

As a rule, JQ doesn't interline bags. They will charge you the baggage fees for their segment, then drop them on the baggage belt in your connecting airport for you to transfer to your next airline.

The one exception to this is if both flights are international in which case they will transfer them, but I'm not sure about fee in that case. Technically (based on the US's first-airline rules) you'll have to pay, but I'm not sure if that is enforced or not.
Old Oct 12, 17, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've flown UA-ticketed segments n JQ. I had only carry-on bags and had no problem bringing my bags on-board so I never did get an answer to this question. I did worry about whether JQ would make me check my bags on my flights to/from DPS but I had no problem whatsoever carrying them on.
Old Oct 12, 17, 3:30 pm

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
We had a domestic Australian Jetstar segment in an itinerary in the past year, on a ticket issued by United. On UA obviously we could have taken 3 x 70lb bags; what that transpired to on Jetstar was 2 x 20kg bags, so essentially we got an extra bag over the base fare.

As you often do, we found out that our bathroom scale weighing was not so accurate, and one of the bags was a little heavier (like 22kg). They waved it off on account of being on a UA issued ticket.
Old Oct 12, 17, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.. It's a United issued ticket, which allows for a free checked bag, but we'll be checking in with JetStar, who definitely don't. Anyone encountered this scenario? Thanks.
What route?
What does the UA ticket show as the baggage allowance?
With JQ the ticket type will determine if checked baggage is included. If UA have bought a JQ ticket with a bundle baggage is included. Probably 1 x 20kg.
If you have the JQ PNR look at the "my booking" on the JQ web site https://booknow.jetstar.com/login.aspx?culture=en-AU

This question about JQ on a UA ticket has been asked before

Edit UA - JQ
Baggage transfer in MEL - United to Jetstar? Jetstar allowance?
UA + Jetstar horror story CHC-AKL-SFO
Interlining experiences/connecting with JetStar (JQ) [Consolidated]

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 12, 17 at 5:17 pm
Old Oct 12, 17, 5:06 pm

Unbeknownst to me, JetStar is a United partner airline. I just booked a great deal (albeit in Y) back to the US from NZ, where the first segment is on JetStar connecting to a United flight.
I hope it was a great deal, because NZ to SYD/MEL then to the US probably adds seven hours of travelling time.
Old Oct 12, 17, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If it is a UA-issued ticket with a destination in the US, US law requires that the baggage allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment be the minimum allowance for the entire ticket.

As this is a US-issued ticket, the same rules require that the fees, if any, for the first and second bags, be listed on your e-ticket receipt by segment.

What does the e-ticket receipt show?
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:37 pm

Programs: United 1K*G / Marriott Gold /SPG Gold / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aspen View Post
I hope it was a great deal, because NZ to SYD/MEL then to the US probably adds seven hours of travelling time.
That's what I'm curious about especially given that it's in Y and not some J deal that is saving a few thousand $s.
Old Oct 12, 17, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
What route?
CHC-SYD-LAX

We were looking for a relatively easy and affordable way back from the south island, which is easier said than done. Flying there on a biz award. Compared to itineraries that went through AKL, it really didn't add much, if any, time.

According to the eTicket it's booked in I class on JetStar, which according to Google seems to imply 1 x 20 kg is included. Can anyone confirm? Thanks for the help.
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:32 pm

You may want to check Jetstar's website to check on the cabin-luggage allowances too.

And here I was thinking you were flying the other Jetstar--the one that flies in India...
Old Oct 12, 17, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to the eTicket it's booked in I class on JetStar, which according to Google seems to imply 1 x 20 kg is included. Can anyone confirm?
Have you got the JQ PNR? Or JQ e-ticket number? If not try phoning UA

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren View Post
And here I was thinking you were flying the other Jetstar--the one that flies in India...
Thinking of Jet Airways? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_Airways
An AA ff partner (until 31 Dec2017)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetstar_Airways

Search this Thread