Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waivers: Tokyo, Chicago & Upper Midwest (January 22, 2018 - January 23, 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Waivers: Tokyo, Chicago & Upper Midwest (January 22, 2018 - January 23, 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

For multiple locations:

Airports:
  • Tokyo-Haneda, Japan (HND)​
  • Tokyo-Narita, Japan (NRT)​
  • Chicago-O'Hare, IL (ORD)​
  • Appleton, WI (ATW)
  • Duluth, MN (DLH)
  • Eau Claire, WI (EAU)
  • Green Bay, WI (GRB)
  • Hancock, MI (CMX)
  • Lincoln, NE (LNK)
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (MSP)
  • Omaha, NE (OMA)
  • Rochester, MN (RST)
  • Sioux Falls, SD (FSD)
  • Traverse City, MI (TVC)
  • Wausau, WI (CWA)
Rebook by January 25, 2018

Waiver: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code: 1+

David
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
I've got a flight thru ORD the night of the 23rd and the waiver gives me only 2 days to reschedule to. All optional/future flights are booked to the gills (probably because of weather).

Whoop Dee Doo --- allowing only 2 days out, isn't really too customer friendly, imho!
Used to at least give a guy 5 days, and what's the BIG rush???

I'll probably just cancel & lose $200.00.

"The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before January 25, 2018, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​"
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Two Bee
I've got a flight thru ORD the night of the 23rd and the waiver gives me only 2 days to reschedule to. All optional/future flights are booked to the gills (probably because of weather).

Whoop Dee Doo --- allowing only 2 days out, isn't really too customer friendly, imho!
Used to at least give a guy 5 days, and what's the BIG rush???

I'll probably just cancel & lose $200.00.

"The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before January 25, 2018, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​"
You could probably just cancel and call the trip "in vain". No need to pay $200 unless you really feel like it?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
You could probably just cancel and call the trip "in vain". No need to pay $200 unless you really feel like it?
If I cancel I'm out about $170., which was the original price of the ticket. You're right I'm not $200.00.
They're not going to refund anything, and I can't find any6thing in the next few days where I don't ride in E- on 3 out of 4 legs to CLE>
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
If I cancel I'm out about $170., which was the original price of the ticket. You're right I'm not $200.00.
They're not going to refund anything, and I can't find any6thing in the next few days where I don't ride in E- on 3 out of 4 legs to CLE>
I wouldn't be so quick to jump to "they're not going to refund anything". I've used a waiver to refund a trip that I didn't want to take after it got postponed. A delayed trip by 1-2 days impacts my schedule greatly. Just call UA and say what you're saying on this forum. "I can't find anything in the next few days where I don't ride in E-, therefore, I want a refund". I'm almost willing to put money down that if you try 1-2 times, an agent will refund your ticket completely or give you UA credit voucher.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can take the original flight, if it operates, or you can request a refund if it cancels or is delayed substantially. The waiver periods allow you extra flexibility, but they don't require you to make any changes if you don't want to.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:38 pm

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to "they're not going to refund anything". I've used a waiver to refund a trip that I didn't want to take after it got postponed. A delayed trip by 1-2 days impacts my schedule greatly. Just call UA and say what you're saying on this forum. "I can't find anything in the next few days where I don't ride in E-, therefore, I want a refund". I'm almost willing to put money down that if you try 1-2 times, an agent will refund your ticket completely or give you UA credit voucher.
Thanks-A-Lot! I'll give it a try!!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I had no idea Tokyo was so close to Chicago!
cranky1K and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:39 pm

Question

What exactly is the problem with Chicago, blizzard conditions?

I have a 2-hour international connection in ORD on Friday, on the way from West Coast to Europe. It is supposed to warm up by Friday, in Chicago; also winds are supposed to pick up. Is it worth trying to reroute? I am afraid to outsmart myself and change to somewhere where the storm blows to by then. LOL

Thank you.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
If the flight is canceled or delayed by even some number of hours (do not know the exact UA rules), you are entitled to a full refund as they are not providing the contracted service. But if the flight does operate on time OP is not entitled to that claim. The problem is that as of today nobody knows.

That said, under a waiver condition they MIGHT elect to allow a full refund (or at least a credit w/o fee) in advance as they are both being "nice" and reducing the number of displaced pax they have to worry about.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 2018 at 3:54 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by exwannabe
If the flight is canceled or delayed by even some number of hours (do not know the exact UA rules), you are entitled to a full refund as they are not providing the contracted service. .....
2 hours is the standard threshold but sometimes less.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
The weather forecast in Chicago does not look that bad at all, especially by Chicago standards. They've been erring on the safe side with these waivers, so just issuing one by no means suggests there's a high probability of your original flight being cancelled or delayed.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I feel like I stayed at a HIEX last night. My normal route to SIN goes through ORD and NRT. But I saved a bunch with IAD SFO SIN. Yahoo!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zymm
The weather forecast in Chicago does not look that bad at all, especially by Chicago standards. They've been erring on the safe side with these waivers, so just issuing one by no means suggests there's a high probability of your original flight being cancelled or delayed.
+1. Last week when I was in PVG, I got a notice from United about weather waiver for ORD. I did not change my flights. We landed from PVG ahead of scheduled time. Our connecting flight was delayed about 2 hours but that's a very common occurrence for that flight. So, while I was in PVG I worried for nothing but it's not like I could change my departure from there as I needed to get back to work. And, in the meantime, I was going to lose my bulkhead seat.

And a previous time when they had a weather advisory for EWR, I tried to change my flight to go through ORD and the phone agent said it was not permitted. So, why send me an email about it?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
And a previous time when they had a weather advisory for EWR, I tried to change my flight to go through ORD and the phone agent said it was not permitted. So, why send me an email about it?
The agent was WRONG!!!

The written and published rule is. "The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed."

So you could-a/should-a hung up and called someone that knew what the rule was!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.