Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Turkish Airlines (TK) award booking experiences using United miles

Old Apr 3, 13, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA -Silver Mileage Plus

Guys,

Trying to go to Europe in October, and TK has great fares, but I think someone had mention that miles in TK wont go towards MileagePlus status?

I checked that on United website, and it says it does...a bit confused. Any advise? Noob traveler here.

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=306
Old Apr 3, 13, 10:01 am

TK will earn on UA with the booking classes mentioned on UA.com
But there are also booking classes like Economy W that are not listed on UA and won't earn any miles.
Old Apr 3, 13, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA -Silver Mileage Plus
Oh got it.

Thank you!
Old Apr 3, 13, 10:37 am
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold
Turkish Airlines - MileagePlus

On a similar note I have 6000 miles expiring on TK this year can any one give me any idea how can I use them before they expire
Thanks
Old Apr 3, 13, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Originally Posted by HAMFRA View Post
TK will earn on UA with the booking classes mentioned on UA.com
But there are also booking classes like Economy W that are not listed on UA and won't earn any miles.
Note that Economy G is frequently offered to ex-USA passengers with stupidly awesome fares but that these also do not earn UA miles.
Old Apr 3, 13, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by NgatesSEA View Post
Note that Economy G is frequently offered to ex-USA passengers with stupidly awesome fares but that these also do not earn UA miles.
Used too !
Old Apr 3, 13, 11:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Yeah, the MRs to IST sorta dried up after March 1st, but if you can get UA metal from EWR for the same fare, you'd be good to go (which is what I did in Feb...no TK segments involved so no worries).
Old Apr 3, 13, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75
this should be posted to discussion i think, mod alerted
Old Apr 3, 13, 12:52 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
G, P and W fare classes on TK no longer earn any mileage in MileagePlus as of March 1st. The old earning chart is still posted on united.com, so you can see the differences (I. e. the eliminated fare classes).

I have travel booked in P in a few weeks for couple of intra-Europe segments and I will credit them to TK instead of MP.
Old Apr 3, 13, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, working on OZ Diamond, previously AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP75
i wonder if tk takes a hit because of this....aybe they wont even realize hhow this happened. In their minds, who needs miles if the ticket is cheap
Old Apr 3, 13, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by UAConcorde View Post
i wonder if tk takes a hit because of this....aybe they wont even realize hhow this happened. In their minds, who needs miles if the ticket is cheap
I think they know very well what happened, hence the change in policy.

Many carriers offer little to non miles on cheap fares and seem to get by.
Old Apr 3, 13, 5:57 pm

Programs: LT NoN REV
Originally Posted by UAConcorde View Post
I dont think revised eligible fare chart has any impact on TK.
Most Turkish travellers prefers their national airline.
Old Apr 23, 13, 5:04 pm

Programs: Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite Plus, SAS EuroBonus Gold, American Express Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm quite sure it was UA who made the decision to cut mileage accrual on the cheap fares, not TK...
Old Apr 23, 13, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

As this is a UA-specific topic I'll move it over to MP forum from Mileage Run Discussion forum for further debate.

tcook052
Mileage Run Forum Moderator
Old Apr 23, 13, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LH4116 View Post
I'm quite sure it was UA who made the decision to cut mileage accrual on the cheap fares, not TK...
Nope - the earning rates are set by the operating airline with very few exceptions.

For example, the same restriction applies to these G fares if crediting to LH (I didn't check others but you can see the principle): http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...l=en&cid=18002

It is not possible to earn miles in booking classes G, P, W, Z (and worldwide V).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: