Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Turkish Airlines (TK) award booking experiences using United miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Seat selection: As of July 2021, TK’s website does not allow pax to manage award bookings made through United. Even if you enter the separate TK PNR provided by United, the website returns an error.

However, the TK app will work using your ticket number(s) and passenger surname(s). Make certain there are no trailing spaces in either field, as the app will error out. Don’t bother with the PNR; the app demands ticket numbers to authenticate even if you start with the PNR.
Print Wikipost

Turkish Airlines (TK) award booking experiences using United miles

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Woland
I want to buy with miles. However, even if I search for IST-BOS normally (to buy with money), the flights that appear on Turkish Airlines's site do not appear on United.
Two separate issues. Buying with $$ - UA will steer you to their JV partners (in this case, LH group). UA doesn't code share on all (any?) TK flights. UA can sell you a ticket with TK on it, but prefers not to (to get this, you'd go through google flights).

Now awards not showing up - that can be a whole host of issues. Some carriers (SQ, LH, AF, etc.) make more awards available to their own FF members than partners. Not sure if TK does this. If the award is available on other partners (for example, the TK award is showing using ANA or SQ), then it means either TK or UA are blocking it. There's a thread on a recent issue with LH awards. Unfortunately there's no work around. If online doesn't show it, you can try calling UA to see if they see the availability, but in most experiences - this doesn't yield anything different. Then you just have to keep checking, or book it with other miles (e.g., buy Avianca miles and use those, transfer to SQ or ANA, etc.).
Old May 29, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by jmanirish
Two separate issues. Buying with $$ - UA will steer you to their JV partners (in this case, LH group). UA doesn't code share on all (any?) TK flights. UA can sell you a ticket with TK on it, but prefers not to (to get this, you'd go through google flights).

Now awards not showing up - that can be a whole host of issues. Some carriers (SQ, LH, AF, etc.) make more awards available to their own FF members than partners. Not sure if TK does this. If the award is available on other partners (for example, the TK award is showing using ANA or SQ), then it means either TK or UA are blocking it. There's a thread on a recent issue with LH awards. Unfortunately there's no work around. If online doesn't show it, you can try calling UA to see if they see the availability, but in most experiences - this doesn't yield anything different. Then you just have to keep checking, or book it with other miles (e.g., buy Avianca miles and use those, transfer to SQ or ANA, etc.).
Thanks for your response. In this case it seems like TK flights are not showing up at all, even for purchasing normally. Moreover, this is the case on both United and Air Canada. I guess I'll just have to wait till something (hopefully) changes on TK's end.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:59 pm

Thanks for your response. In this case it seems like TK flights are not showing up at all, even for purchasing normally. Moreover, this is the case on both United and Air Canada. I guess I'll just have to wait till something (hopefully) changes on TK's end.
If you give us the flights and days in question, we can look up a few other sources to see what they see (EF, SQ, AV, etc.).

And my point about it being a separate issue is this - you will almost never see a TK flight TATL flight on UA when paying with money (will only see them as intra-europe connections). This has to do with the economics UA has with TK (or rather, does not have). This has no impact on what kind of TK award availability UA will or will not show.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by jmanirish
If you give us the flights and days in question, we can look up a few other sources to see what they see (EF, SQ, AV, etc.).

And my point about it being a separate issue is this - you will almost never see a TK flight TATL flight on UA when paying with money (will only see them as intra-europe connections). This has to do with the economics UA has with TK (or rather, does not have). This has no impact on what kind of TK award availability UA will or will not show.
Much appreciated. I'm looking for business class Kiev (KBP) - Boston (BOS) on June 22, 23, 24 or 25th. I used to get these tickets for 70,000 miles on UA. Any program that allows for a transfer from SPG or Chase's UR points would work for me.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:21 am

Much appreciated. I'm looking for business class Kiev (KBP) - Boston (BOS) on June 22, 23, 24 or 25th. I used to get these tickets for 70,000 miles on UA. Any program that allows for a transfer from SPG or Chase's UR points would work for me.
I looked - I don't see any TK award availability for the non-stop IST-BOS across any program. Not sure where you were seeing it (unless you just saw that the flight exists, which means nothing for award availability).

The best option I can see now would be leave on June 21st - there are 2 J seats on KBP-FRA-BOS. LH has been known to release more availability closer to departure so if you don't mind change fees, I'd book that and see what opens up. Or if you're a gambling man, wait all together but always risk not having anything.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA - Always
I booked a long haul TK flight from SFO. I never could get SFO-IST route but I had options through ORD and IAH. This was in February and flew in April. Ended up doing SFO-IAH-IST-XXX-IST-ORD-SFO. Had many options though for April.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
United definitely shows less than partners. I’ve seen availability on LH and SQ for several flights that UA won’t show, it may be a middle finger to UA from TK.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:26 pm

@jmanirish Yea, I looked as far into the future as I could for IST-BOS but they're not to be found anywhere, even though in the past I booked that route easily via United with tons of availability. I did however start the transfer of a bunch of SPG points into aeroplan miles for KBP-FRA-BOS which I also found a couple days back. It's a bit unfortunate since that route comes with more expensive fees and overall Turkish is nicer than LH, but oh well.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Trouble Booking Award Flights on TK Metal?

Looking at several dates that shows available TK Business Award Availability, but when I go to select it, it errors out.

Is anyone else having trouble booking TK Availability?

Error Screen
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:10 pm

As disappointed as I am, I do take some solace in knowing the award availability issues aren't happening to just me. Was looking for I availability from JFK > IST in late May of next year for two people. Can't find a single day in May of next year with any award availability? Tried looking on United as well and not a single day the entire month has anything. Pretty bummed because I wanted to plan a trip then specifically on TK. I assume others are still experiencing the same thing still (since the last DP on this was a little while ago)?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:57 am

Still curious to know if anyone else has had any luck with this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
Still curious to know if anyone else has had any luck with this.
check paid fares from CAI-IST-JFK for your trip back...worth the extra segment and a great way to try TK J!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Does anyone have any experience with TK opening up J availability to JRO from IST? I'm looking at next July and I'm seeing J availability to IST from both IAH and ORD, but it looks like everything to JRO (via ZNZ) is all in Y. I'm seeing J availability on ET via ADD (and only two stops), but I was hoping to try out TK in J if possible. Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: SPG platinum, HHonors Diamond
Unable to use UA rewards to book Turkish flight

I am trying to book some flights from US to Middle east. Turkish Airline got some routes perfect for me. Surprisingly that although Turkish and United are both part of Star Alliances, there is ABSOLUTELY no Turkish Airline tickets availability at all, no matter coach or business.
UA used to have plenty of Turkish Airline tickets last year, even for business class. Anybody got any ideas about what's going on? Is that something similar to the case with Thai Airline and Singapore Airline?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by RebeccaC
I am trying to book some flights from US to Middle east. Turkish Airline got some routes perfect for me. Surprisingly that although Turkish and United are both part of Star Alliances, there is ABSOLUTELY no Turkish Airline tickets availability at all, no matter coach or business.
UA used to have plenty of Turkish Airline tickets last year, even for business class. Anybody got any ideas about what's going on? Is that something similar to the case with Thai Airline and Singapore Airline?
I don't know where you're trying to go, but I'm still seeing some flights out there. I looked for SLC-SIN for Dec. 10, and found an eastbound connection SLC-ORD-IST-SIN, but only available in business. This might be fun if you're looking to circumnavigate the globe. The thing is, the calendar does not show the availability (false negative). So you have to check each day individually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.