Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Turkish Airlines (TK) award booking experiences using United miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Seat selection: As of July 2021, TK’s website does not allow pax to manage award bookings made through United. Even if you enter the separate TK PNR provided by United, the website returns an error.

However, the TK app will work using your ticket number(s) and passenger surname(s). Make certain there are no trailing spaces in either field, as the app will error out. Don’t bother with the PNR; the app demands ticket numbers to authenticate even if you start with the PNR.
Print Wikipost

Turkish Airlines (TK) award booking experiences using United miles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
Something has been messed with here though. The TK flight is listed as 'C'-class and that is not an award booking class. Looks like a day of travel irops rebooking or something like that; could have messed up things.
Troya (TK's PSS - similar to SHARES) displays C on this screen for any business class RBD. This is absolutely a standard problem on all UA award tickets.

I have flown TK before on a 016 ticket and never had an issue getting my free bags. Don't think this is a common problem to be honest
The reason you may have never noticed is because you have Star Gold status - it's only passengers without status that are likely to have excess baggage due to this "0 baggage allowance" issue on TK. On LH group airlines, in contrast, even *G customers pay bag fees on LIGHT fares, so it requires a manual override for *G passengers.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Did I miss something? Not seeing any TK flights when searching for awards to IST.
I believe it's been fixed, but there was definitely a stretch in May when TK flights were not showing up when searching for awards on united.com. I was monitoring flights to and from CAI and could see TK flights through Aeroplan, but couldn't get them to show up on UA. Did a bunch of miscellaneous test searches to verify that they weren't showing up (I obviously didn't search every date or non-stop route to the US). I kinda stopped caring when I decided to book through Aeroplan anyway...
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:37 am

Programs: UA MP Gold
Something has been messed with here though. The TK flight is listed as 'C'-class and that is not an award booking class. Looks like a day of travel irops rebooking or something like that; could have messed up things.

I have flown TK before on a 016 ticket and never had an issue getting my free bags. Don't think this is a common problem to be honest
I have given the direct quote by the BER TK Sales Mgr (& we were both native speakers) that he sees this regularly with UA issued award tickets. That's all I can provide.

Well, whose error is it? In anyway, I have submitted a complaint to the DOT, so perhaps UA will get to the bottom of this (I doubt it though).
​​​​​
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:37 am

Quick question for the group. Attempting OCLI via Turkish mobile app for a UA award booked IST > FRA > LAS (first leg Turkish). During OCLI, the app is rejecting my MP # (have tried several combos including lead 0s to get to 9 digits. Any guidance? Trying to get *G (via my UA Gold status) to show on boarding pass to ensure priority checking and lounge access.

Generally seems like managing a UA award via TK tools is a mess
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DemTings
Quick question for the group. Attempting OCLI via Turkish mobile app for a UA award booked IST > FRA > LAS (first leg Turkish). During OCLI, the app is rejecting my MP # (have tried several combos including lead 0s to get to 9 digits. Any guidance? Trying to get *G (via my UA Gold status) to show on boarding pass to ensure priority checking and lounge access.

just use the business check-in counter and ask them to add it there. Worse come to worse show your digital UA card and you should get lounge access.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by DemTings

Refer to this thread: TK won't save FF# via website

Turns out my FF# was being saved but was not being displayed. I added it several times via the app and the website where it would tell me it was successfully attached to the flights but then wouldn't display when I reloaded the itinerary via the app or website. Once I did check-in my FF# was actually there with my *G status.

I suggest going to the website or app and adding it (not during OLCI) and seeing if it says that it successfully stored it. Then go back to the app and try OLCI and you'll likely see it there. But since this is a TK problem and not a UA problem your post technically belongs over in the TK forum.

-RM
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:10 am

TK flights are not confirmed after 2 weeks

I booked an award ticket 2 WEEKS AGO through United airline with 2 legs of Turkish Airline flights. Today, I found the ticket is changed and called United. They told me the AMS-IST leg is not confirmed due to flight change. I don't believe this is a true statement because I was able to see this flight on TK and I looked up this ticket on Turkish airline website after booking and it was confirmed. Don't know what is going on.. Anyone has this issue?

Thank you!
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by hzclm828
I booked an award ticket 2 WEEKS AGO through United airline with 2 legs of Turkish Airline flights. Today, I found the ticket is changed and called United. They told me the AMS-IST leg is not confirmed due to flight change. I don't believe this is a true statement because I was able to see this flight on TK and I looked up this ticket on Turkish airline website after booking and it was confirmed. Don't know what is going on.. Anyone has this issue?

Thank you!
maybe you should give TK a call ?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hzclm828

Thank you!
If TK says this is fine, why did you call UA?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 7:00 pm

Dropped Segment--UA not fixing

Long time reader, first time posting here. I've searched online and the forums, and don't see any issue quite like this, and I'm unsure what to do and need some advice.

I booked 3 business class saver award tickets through Millage Plus for a vacation with my parents back in March that will take place in Nov/Dec. Getting three tickets for the same flights is how I arranged the vacation schedule. With the excursionist perk, there are six segments. It is (was) confirmed and I have confirmation emails, ticket numbers, and a PNR for United and Turkish (which is what some segments are/were booked on) and it showed up in my trips on United every time I looked at it, as well as the TK app for the TK segments. Last week I noticed that the return IST-IAD segment had dropped. It was TK187 on 12/15. The flight still is showing for sale with plenty of inventory (for sale, not miles booking). I called United. They said that TK had removed the inventory and cancelled the tickets in the last week. The phone reps said that they saw that it all had been ticketed months ago--it just wasn't ticketed now. United offered me a choice of 1) a refund 2) downgrade to economy on TK187 for my original date(for 70k miles each for the segment when I paid 77k for Business), or 3) a flight two days later on 12/17 that then connects in AMS on a UA 767-400 (i.e., non-retrofitted Polaris), but would be in Business. I didn't accept any of them, and instead wrote to Customer Service and said I expected them to get me back on the no connection flight back to the US I had reserved for the day I reserved it. I didn't put it in the email, but I'd also be only mildly unhappy if the only solution was my original date but through FRA, MUN, or some other airport that gets the full Polaris seat--but it is still another connection with two elderly parents.

It's been over a week now since I sent the complaint to their customer service email and through their online portal (i.e., two emails) and I've heard nothing. I figure they have options to fix this since it is almost 4 months out, but I'm starting to get anxious. Thoughts on what to do next? Thanks all.

UPDATE: 10/11/2022: I think it is solved (fingers crossed), but not without more emails. Turkish responded to DOT saying basically that it was United's problem. United responded in an email that I was welcome to call their reservations number but they didn't respond to complaints about future flights. On top of that they addressed it to another passenger (presumably from another complaint). I responded back with a cc to the DOT highlighting why I thought DOT had oversight of this matter (including links to DOT webpages) and indicated that United's non-sequitur response was exactly why DOT needed to be involved. Separately I forwarded the emails to staff in the DOT Office of General Counsel (which oversees the airline complaints). In under a day I had another email from United with a promise to have a senior ticket representative call and work with me for new tickets (this time my name was misspelled so as to include profanity in the spelling of my name....but I don't care at this point so long as my problem is fixed). I had a fantastic United Representative call and give me a couple of acceptable options. None of them are my original TK fight, but I still get home in J in about the same time. Now I'm going via Frankfurt on Turkish and United. Of course the TK flight then dropped off within 24 hours (TK cancelling and immediately un-cancelling the flight) , but this time the United rep took some additional steps to ensure it stuck (not sure what, but involved her supervisors and TK). So I am HOPING that this all stays static until my December flights. Thank you everyone for your advice! I just wish it hadn't taken two months to get here.

UPDATE: 9/15/2022 Received DOT acknowledgement (real person, not automated) with reference number--took a little over two weeks.

Dear Consumer

I will forward your complaint to United Airlines, with a copy to Turkish Airlines and will ask the company to respond directly to you. Airlines are required to acknowledge receipt of a consumer complaint within 30 days and provide a substantive response to the complainant within 60 days from the date that DOT processes your complaint.

I have entered your complaint in our computerized industry monitoring system, and it will be counted among the number of complaints filed against this airline in our monthly Air Travel Consumer Report. This report allows consumers and air travel companies to compare the complaint records of individual airlines and tour operators. The data in this report also serve as a basis for rulemaking, legislation and research. Consumer information for air travelers, including the Air Travel Consumer Report and our pamphlet Fly-Rights, a Consumer's Guide to Air Travel, can be found on our website, www.transportation.gov/airconsumer. Thank you for taking the time to contact us.
FlyingBear2021 likes this.

Last edited by xleepy_IAD; Oct 11, 2022 at 6:40 pm Reason: providing update
Old Aug 29, 2022, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Welcome to FT -- and welcome to one of the many ways TK can hose you..... FWIW I 100% believe you were ticketed -- and I 100% believe UA when they say TK cancelled it -- they are not part of the EU so there is no compensation -- which TK knows well... UA can't force TK to (re)open space -- so what I would do is figure out what your options are on your own -- and then call back and feed them to UA.

Honestly - my advice is to take a Y flight to MUC or FRA -- and then hope UA opens up award space for you coming back for the same mileage -- I don't think there is any chance of restoring your direct from IST....
jsloan, SPN Lifer and xleepy_IAD like this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Complain to the US DOT. They have jurisdiction over this ticket. If this has been ticketed and the flights are still operating as ticketed .... you are covered. UA can totally re-instate that reservation. I have had similar issues and a DOT complaint has worked out every time.
xleepy_IAD likes this.

Last edited by cfischer; Aug 29, 2022 at 7:29 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xleepy_IAD
I called United.
ExpertFlyer shows I4 on the flight in question, which should be four business class saver award seats, but United.com doesn't seem to allow more than one. It might be worth calling and asking for them to try again, however.

The other options that I see for same-day travel are flights via MUC or ZRH. (Don't let them tell you that you have to pay a mileage difference!) Getting three business class award seats can be a tall order, so if you decide to hold out for the nonstop, know that if they do end up dropping the flight, your options are slim. I do agree with cfischer that if the flight is still operating, they should honor the tickets if you escalate to the DOT.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:19 pm

Thank you all everyone! I've gone ahead and filed a complaint with DOT and will let that work in the background if I can't get anywhere with Customer Service. Last time I called I was pushing for MUN, ZRC, or FRA as well, but the agent would only consider saver level availability--which is why I was offered via AMS two days later. Airport connections (especially knowing that we would have to again go through security in the EU before continuing on) don't bother me so much as the parents who don't travel and don't move all that fast--so will have to think on it all (assuming I get a choice). Worst case is I buy two J class outright on whichever airline I can get them the cheapest for them and sit in the back--but then I'd really be grumpy!
Old Aug 30, 2022, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xleepy_IAD
Last time I called I was pushing for MUN, ZRC, or FRA as well, but the agent would only consider saver level availability
This is very much a HUCA (hang up, call again) situation. When a leg disappears from your reservation, it is SOP for them to re-accommodate you regardless of the mileage cost. They can call it "opening up space" or they can just rebook you into JN (standard award space), but either way this is a very standard request for involuntary re-routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.