Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United K class fare international flight: Is this subj. to "Basic Econ." rules?

Old Oct 8, 17, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

A few questions about this because I think domestic flights and international basic economy have different rules. I did a few searches but they all applied to domestic.

On an international flight I have never had to pay for 2 checked bags. My last flight was from ORD to HKG to BKK and back. Basic Economy K class. I was also able to request a seat change from the middle to the isle. This flight was back in June. Have the rules changed for United since then? I read on their site after I booked the ticket you can not change your seats or upgrade period! I am a United Member on their lowest tier. I just bought the same ticket again two weeks ago. Luckily I checked and all segments of the flight are isle seats so no worries there. I would like to try to pay using miles, cash, or a combination for an upgrade at the gate if possible, just don't know if I can anymore. Anyone recently have any experience with this recently. Thanks again for any feedback.
Old Oct 8, 17, 8:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Alster2015 View Post
A few questions about this because I think domestic flights and international basic economy have different rules. I did a few searches but they all applied to domestic.

On an international flight I have never had to pay for 2 checked bags. My last flight was from ORD to HKG to BKK and back. Basic Economy K class. I was also able to request a seat change from the middle to the isle. This flight was back in June. Have the rules changed for United since then? I read on their site after I booked the ticket you can not change your seats or upgrade period! I am a United Member on their lowest tier. I just bought the same ticket again two weeks ago. Luckily I checked and all segments of the flight are isle seats so no worries there. I would like to try to pay using miles, cash, or a combination for an upgrade at the gate if possible, just don't know if I can anymore. Anyone recently have any experience with this recently. Thanks again for any feedback.
I’m curious where you got the notion that your K ticket was Basic Economy. It wasn’t. UA only offers BE on domestic routes for now.

So that’s why you got all those fantastic perks like seat assignments.
Old Oct 8, 17, 9:02 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Also the domestic Basic Economy flights UA does offer book into N class, lower than K class.
Old Oct 8, 17, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Alster2015 View Post
Basic Economy K class.
I can understand the confusion. Before UA introduced "Basic Economy" as a separate class of ticket, for a passenger without UA status, this would have been basic Economy, commonly known around here as "E-".
Old Oct 8, 17, 9:17 pm

K class is economy, not basic economy.
Old Oct 8, 17, 9:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I can understand the confusion. Before UA introduced "Basic Economy" as a separate class of ticket, for a passenger without UA status, this would have been basic Economy, commonly known around here as "E-".
This points out a subtle but potentially serious downside to introducing BE: a segment of the potential flying public will mistakenly think the new rules apply to all of your airline’s economy tickets.
Old Oct 8, 17, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone View Post
This points out a subtle but potentially serious downside to introducing BE: a segment of the potential flying public will mistakenly think the new rules apply to all of your airline’s economy tickets.
Yep. And may result in an unmeasurable "book away" factor to airlines (AS, B6, WN) that don't offer BE.

If I didn't have status, it wouldn't make much sense to book UA in Y much of the time. I already recommend my friends fly HA to Hawaii and B6 to New York.
Old Oct 9, 17, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Yep. And may result in an unmeasurable "book away" factor to airlines (AS, B6, WN) that don't offer BE.
AS, B6, or WN to BKK? Seriously?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 9, 17 at 2:38 pm Reason: innappropriate comment removed
Old Oct 9, 17, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
AS, B6, or WN to BKK?
No, I'd recommend an Asian carrier, likely SQ, to BKK.

And btw, the point was already made that BE is domestic only.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 9, 17 at 2:39 pm Reason: deleted response to deleted comment
Old Oct 9, 17, 7:12 am

Programs: United, Southwest
Isn't the 2nd checked bag on an International flight in economy $100? (Unless you pay with your United credit card or are Gold or above?)
Old Oct 9, 17, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal View Post
Isn't the 2nd checked bag on an International flight in economy $100? (Unless you pay with your United credit card or are Gold or above?)
It depends upon the destination. United baggage fees are extremely complex. USA to Thailand appears to get two 50-pound bags in Economy.
Old Oct 9, 17, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone View Post
Yep. Friend was booked on an Economy fare for work and texted me in a panic the night before the flight thinking that she wouldn't be able to have a carry on bag after reading about Basic Economy online.
Old Oct 9, 17, 1:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal View Post
Asia gets 2 bags free (except China and disputed territories that China claims because they are not part of the JV with ANA). ANA was forced to revert to 2 bags free a couple years ago because JAL offered 2 bags free so UA went back to 2 bags free on routes that are part of the ANA JV in order to be metal neutral.
Old Oct 9, 17, 1:32 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
How many people are knowledgeable enough to know the detail about fare classes but then don't know much about the generality of the basic economy fare? It has to be minutely small.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 9, 17 at 2:40 pm Reason: overly personal; FT Rule 12
Old Oct 9, 17, 2:32 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
Thanks for international baggage charge explanation. Silly me! I thought "international" meant "out of the country" but now I know it means different things to different countries. Wow, didn't know it was so complicated!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: