FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United K class fare international flight: Is this subj. to "Basic Econ." rules? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1871005-united-k-class-fare-international-flight-subj-basic-econ-rules.html)

Alster2015 Oct 8, 2017 8:54 pm

United K class fare international flight: Is this subj. to "Basic Econ." rules?

A few questions about this because I think domestic flights and international basic economy have different rules. I did a few searches but they all applied to domestic.

On an international flight I have never had to pay for 2 checked bags. My last flight was from ORD to HKG to BKK and back. Basic Economy K class. I was also able to request a seat change from the middle to the isle. This flight was back in June. Have the rules changed for United since then? I read on their site after I booked the ticket you can not change your seats or upgrade period! I am a United Member on their lowest tier. I just bought the same ticket again two weeks ago. Luckily I checked and all segments of the flight are isle seats so no worries there. I would like to try to pay using miles, cash, or a combination for an upgrade at the gate if possible, just don't know if I can anymore. Anyone recently have any experience with this recently. Thanks again for any feedback.

RandomBaritone Oct 8, 2017 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Alster2015 (Post 28909259)
A few questions about this because I think domestic flights and international basic economy have different rules. I did a few searches but they all applied to domestic.

On an international flight I have never had to pay for 2 checked bags. My last flight was from ORD to HKG to BKK and back. Basic Economy K class. I was also able to request a seat change from the middle to the isle. This flight was back in June. Have the rules changed for United since then? I read on their site after I booked the ticket you can not change your seats or upgrade period! I am a United Member on their lowest tier. I just bought the same ticket again two weeks ago. Luckily I checked and all segments of the flight are isle seats so no worries there. I would like to try to pay using miles, cash, or a combination for an upgrade at the gate if possible, just don't know if I can anymore. Anyone recently have any experience with this recently. Thanks again for any feedback.

I’m curious where you got the notion that your K ticket was Basic Economy. It wasn’t. UA only offers BE on domestic routes for now.

So that’s why you got all those fantastic perks like seat assignments. :)

Ocn Vw 1K Oct 8, 2017 9:02 pm

Also the domestic Basic Economy flights UA does offer book into N class, lower than K class.

Kacee Oct 8, 2017 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Alster2015 (Post 28909259)
Basic Economy K class.

I can understand the confusion. Before UA introduced "Basic Economy" as a separate class of ticket, for a passenger without UA status, this would have been basic Economy, commonly known around here as "E-".

steaminer Oct 8, 2017 9:17 pm

K class is economy, not basic economy.

RandomBaritone Oct 8, 2017 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28909323)
I can understand the confusion. Before UA introduced "Basic Economy" as a separate class of ticket, for a passenger without UA status, this would have been basic Economy, commonly known around here as "E-".

This points out a subtle but potentially serious downside to introducing BE: a segment of the potential flying public will mistakenly think the new rules apply to all of your airline’s economy tickets.

Kacee Oct 8, 2017 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone (Post 28909390)
This points out a subtle but potentially serious downside to introducing BE: a segment of the potential flying public will mistakenly think the new rules apply to all of your airline’s economy tickets.

Yep. And may result in an unmeasurable "book away" factor to airlines (AS, B6, WN) that don't offer BE.

If I didn't have status, it wouldn't make much sense to book UA in Y much of the time. I already recommend my friends fly HA to Hawaii and B6 to New York.

mduell Oct 9, 2017 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28909488)
Yep. And may result in an unmeasurable "book away" factor to airlines (AS, B6, WN) that don't offer BE.

AS, B6, or WN to BKK? Seriously?

Kacee Oct 9, 2017 6:53 am

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 28909814)
AS, B6, or WN to BKK?

No, I'd recommend an Asian carrier, likely SQ, to BKK.

And btw, the point was already made that BE is domestic only.

WheelsUpGal Oct 9, 2017 7:12 am

Isn't the 2nd checked bag on an International flight in economy $100? (Unless you pay with your United credit card or are Gold or above?)

jsloan Oct 9, 2017 8:27 am

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal (Post 28910620)
Isn't the 2nd checked bag on an International flight in economy $100? (Unless you pay with your United credit card or are Gold or above?)

It depends upon the destination. United baggage fees are extremely complex. USA to Thailand appears to get two 50-pound bags in Economy.

shutter41 Oct 9, 2017 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone (Post 28909390)

Yep. Friend was booked on an Economy fare for work and texted me in a panic the night before the flight thinking that she wouldn't be able to have a carry on bag after reading about Basic Economy online.

1353513636 Oct 9, 2017 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal (Post 28910620)

Asia gets 2 bags free (except China and disputed territories that China claims because they are not part of the JV with ANA). ANA was forced to revert to 2 bags free a couple years ago because JAL offered 2 bags free so UA went back to 2 bags free on routes that are part of the ANA JV in order to be metal neutral.

minnyfly Oct 9, 2017 1:32 pm

How many people are knowledgeable enough to know the detail about fare classes but then don't know much about the generality of the basic economy fare? It has to be minutely small.

WheelsUpGal Oct 9, 2017 2:32 pm

Thanks for international baggage charge explanation. Silly me! I thought "international" meant "out of the country" but now I know it means different things to different countries. Wow, didn't know it was so complicated!