Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I carry on a 20 pound bolt?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I don't know about carrying it but I've checked in stuff like that in a suitcase or a box and I've never had an issue. If you use a box just make sure the box is substantial and not flimsy (can survive a drop without the bolt tearing out). Usually that kind of stuff triggers TSA to open it up to take a look but then they put it back.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
You can tweet a picture of it to TSA. I've seen humorous replies they've made to these types of questions in the past.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by zrs70
You can always pretend the bolt is a baby!

Lucy never had a baby - YouTube
Or an emotional support bolt...
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan
Or an emotional support bolt...
"I just can't keep it together without my emotional support bolt."
- Frankenstein
jsloan, uanj, lincolnjkc and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Strange question, I know and I'm not sure if this is a more of a United question. Or a TSA question:

I'm in the upper peninsula of Michigan to climb the Mackinac Bridge. I've been offered a steel bolt and nit from the bridge Together they weigh just under 20 pounds (and about 2-2.5 feet long and about 4 inches in diameter)

I'm traveling super light -- no checked luggage and based on the weight I don't trust just checking it in a cardboard box and having the box survive the journey.

So odds of being able to get it through security and into a CR2 overhead bis? Or am I better off just leaving it with relatives and pick it up the next time I drove up here?
While the carry-on bolt is an interesting question, inquiring minds want to know about climbing the Mackinac Bridge! Can you share a little about that adventure?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I can see it now:

Article from huffpo - Michigan Governor Submits Bill to Rebuild Mackinac Bridge: "Too Many Bolts Missing"...

David
lincolnjkc and ajGoes like this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by limey1K
While the carry-on bolt is an interesting question, inquiring minds want to know about climbing the Mackinac Bridge! Can you share a little about that adventure?
Soooo... Long story long: My grandparents were brought together by the bridge. (My grandmother was born and raised in St. Ignace, my (late) grandfather was a civil engineer who moved to St. Ignace in hopes of working on the bridge) -- many years ago my grandfather had the opportunity to climb the bridge and it was a highlight. (The bolt in question was also originally a gift to him)

Fast forwarding to today, my grandmother won a tour/climb in a charity raffle and knowing that I take after my grandfather in many ways, least of which the interest in engineering, offered it to me and my then-fiancée now wife as a wedding present. It took me no more than 1/2 a second to accept. Our previous attempt was foiled due to weather , today it was glorious

RockinRon and ajGoes like this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:57 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Soooo... Long story long: My grandparents were brought together by the bridge. (My grandmother was born and raised in St. Ignace, my (late) grandfather was a civil engineer who moved to St. Ignace in hopes of working on the bridge) -- many years ago my grandfather had the opportunity to climb the bridge and it was a highlight. (The bolt in question was also originally a gift to him)

Fast forwarding to today, my grandmother won a tour/climb in a charity raffle and knowing that I take after my grandfather in many ways, least of which the interest in engineering, offered it to me and my then-fiancée now wife as a wedding present. It took me no more than 1/2 a second to accept. Our previous attempt was foiled due to weather , today it was glorious
Nice story and great picture.

But where is the picture of the bolt!?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)

Great picture! You look very familiar. Perhaps I've seen you on a flight or at the CLE club.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Nice story and great picture.

But where is the picture of the bolt!?
That's exactly the reaction my grandfather (well...and I) would have . So here it is in its current habitat. Postcard for scale (guess the diameter is closer to 2.5")

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Great picture! You look very familiar. Perhaps I've seen you on a flight or at the CLE club.
Quite possibly It seems like I've been spending more time in the CLE club than the office lately. Next time, say Hi (my giveaway is a laptop bag with a combination of a "Remove before flight" streamer and flag pins for the countries I've visited thus far.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:43 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

That's exactly the reaction my grandfather (well...and I) would have . So here it is in its current habitat. Postcard for scale (guess the diameter is closer to 2.5")

(My opinion only). There is NO way you are going to get this past the TSA.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Yeah, based on the sage/realistic advice upthread we left it for the next (vehicular) trip. In theory I should have been home about 2.5 hours ago, but we misconnected in ORD by <5 minutes so she's asleep and I'm sleepless in the ORD Westin.... Maybe if I had my emotional support bolt, I'd be asleep by now
drewguy and ajGoes like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Ah. More clarity.

A quote (modified) comes to mind: "That's not a bolt. THAT's a Bolt"

David
jsloan, lincolnjkc and ajGoes like this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:24 pm

I beg to differ.
You will have no problem bringing the bolt as check-in.
I guarantee you though that TSA will want to open up your bags to look at it.
Carry-on may not work, because you could probably stop any terrorist with the bolt.

I travel with tools and hardware all the time. Samsonite won't cut it. Get a Pelican so that the things don't blow through the sides of your luggage.

I know a Swiss chef who served a resort in the Maldives. He brought a good-sized 20 lb mortar & pestle (think bowling ball) in his carry-on from Thailand to the Maldives. My concern is that such a heavy item is put in the overhead--better not be over my head! But if they don't know, nobody cares as long as it fits.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
I checked in an exhaust pipe for my Brit Classic car at LHR a few weeks back , UA luggage and the TSA when it came through had a field day with it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.