Wiki Posts
Search

Can I carry on a 20 pound bolt?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Can I carry on a 20 pound bolt?

Strange question, I know and I'm not sure if this is a more of a United question. Or a TSA question:

I'm in the upper peninsula of Michigan to climb the Mackinac Bridge. I've been offered a steel bolt and nit from the bridge Together they weigh just under 20 pounds (and about 2-2.5 feet long and about 4 inches in diameter)

I'm traveling super light -- no checked luggage and based on the weight I don't trust just checking it in a cardboard box and having the box survive the journey.

So odds of being able to get it through security and into a CR2 overhead bis? Or am I better off just leaving it with relatives and pick it up the next time I drove up here?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Wrap it up in a box and go for it.

I am more curious as to what your plans are for it once you get home.........heh.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Better check the hand carry rules (size). I think it is a United issue as is longer than allowed but then again many people have bags past the 22" length.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eCarry-On.aspx

No issue with weight or the fact it is a bolt.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
For my own safety, I might prefer that it not be suspended over my head by a couple of pieces of plastic, or under the seat in front of me. I'd stick it in a box and check it. It might be hard on the box, but I doubt even United could damage the contents.

If they did, you could make a viral video, "United Breaks Giant 20 Pound Steel Bolts."
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:12 pm

You might run into problems if it is viewed as a "club"???
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Personally I would just check it without a box, and have them apply a luggage tag directly to it. I strongly doubt they would let it go flying around in the hold and I suspect it’s also pretty hard to damage.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by trooper
You might run into problems if it is viewed as a "club"???
Probably fine with United but possible TSA issues.

The TSA says (but only under "screwdrivers"?) that
Tools longer than 7 inches (measured from end to end when assembled) are prohibited in carry-on baggage; these items must be packed in your checked baggage.
( https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...orter-7-inches )

And miniature baseball bats (18" long) are forbidden; see e.g. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-.../baseball-bats . (A 2013 proposal to allow mini bats was ultimately rejected.)

A 20-pound bolt is possibly a club-like object.

So, good luck, but have a Plan B / be prepared to check or mail it.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: CO Silver
I doubt it. You can't carry on a hammer or even small hand weights in my experience.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by IAH_FLYER
I doubt it. You can't carry on a hammer or even small hand weights in my experience.
And I know that the TSA is not strong on logic or purpose, but they absolutely should not allow someone to carry on an item which could easily be used to bludgeon someone.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by IAH_FLYER
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
And I know that the TSA is not strong on logic or purpose, but they absolutely should not allow someone to carry on an item which could easily be used to bludgeon someone.
Too bad it isn't silver.

That being said, as an aisle preferred seat person, there are many backpacks that unfortunately qualify and are wielded by people who don't pay attention to their swing radii.

David
Silver Fox and genejockey like this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
A few years ago I tried to carry on a small length of steel cable. About 1-1/2" diameter, 5" long, braided steel wire. The TSA screener would not allow it through as it could be used as a club or sap.

Be prepared to check your bolt.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I hope the TSA doesn't throw a wrench into your nutty plan. I suppose if you can't carry on, you could always bolt back to the counter and check it.

I hope this link to an abridged list of what the TSA allows will help:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-.../whatcanibring

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Strange question, I know and I'm not sure if this is a more of a United question. Or a TSA question:

I'm in the upper peninsula of Michigan to climb the Mackinac Bridge. I've been offered a steel bolt and nit from the bridge Together they weigh just under 20 pounds (and about 2-2.5 feet long and about 4 inches in diameter)

I'm traveling super light -- no checked luggage and based on the weight I don't trust just checking it in a cardboard box and having the box survive the journey.

So odds of being able to get it through security and into a CR2 overhead bis? Or am I better off just leaving it with relatives and pick it up the next time I drove up here?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Thanks all!

i hadn’t considered the “tools over 7 inches” issue (though arguably a bolt is not a tool but something you use a tool with ) and if mini baseball bats won’t fly then I think the chances of a solid steel bolt flying as a carryon are nearly nil.

Though I’m timpted to check it sans box (probably but and bolt as two separate pieces) just to see looks on people’s faces at baggage claim (ala the guy in Australia who checked a single can of beer) based on how late were getting home/not wanting to wit at baggage claim, I think I’m just going to leave it with the relatives for now and get it the next time I’m driving all the way .
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Personally I would just check it without a box, and have them apply a luggage tag directly to it. I strongly doubt they would let it go flying around in the hold and I suspect it’s also pretty hard to damage.
this. The strangest thing I've checked as luggage (on TWA) was a garden hoe. I just put the hoe on the counter and they tagged it. "You know we're not responsible for damage to the hoe?" "Yeah, we figure it will just damage other people's stuff." "Well, they're going to love this down in baggage!"

the hoe was sitting on the counter in the baggage office in Boston before the belt started with the regular bags. I'm sure it got special attention, and made a few workdays a little less mundane.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
You can always pretend the bolt is a baby!

drewguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.