Wiki Posts
Search

Cancel Requested Mileage Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Cancel Requested Mileage Upgrade?

Hi,

I normally am a frequent Delta flyer. However, I have a trip upcoming on United MKE-ORD-LAS next Saturday, Oct 14th. I put in for an upgrade via miles and was waitlisted (knew that at the time). Now, a week out I am considering the buy-up offer which isn't bad considering what I paid for the O/W fare (reward ticket back - also on United). Is there a way for me to cancel my requested upgrade that is waitlisted so I can take the buy-up offer?

Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I believe you have to call in for such. And pay the associated fee, depending on your status.

That said, if you see the buy-up offer in the booking can you not just complete the transaction? If you do that should also kill the pending upgrade request and might refund it free after day of travel.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by c172rspilot
... Is there a way for me to cancel my requested upgrade that is waitlisted so I can take the buy-up offer? ....
You don't need to cancel the waitlist to get an offer, UA will have the gall to make an offer even if waitlisted.
Additionally, you can do a re-fare also while waitlisted (but need to call to avoid the change fee).

If you do a cash upgrade, your miles will be returned (but may need to wait until travel for that to happen). It becomes a "failed" mileage upgrade.

If you manually cancel the mileage upgrade, you may be charged a mileage redeposit fee.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You don't need to cancel the waitlist to get an offer, UA will have the gall to make an offer even if waitlisted.
Additionally, you can do a re-fare also while waitlisted (but need to call to avoid the change fee).

If you do a cash upgrade, your miles will be returned (but may need to wait until travel for that to happen). It becomes a "failed" mileage upgrade.

If you manually cancel the mileage upgrade, you may be charged a mileage redeposit fee.

Thank You. I have no status on United. So, if I understand you correctly, if I were to manually cancel the upgrade request by calling in and stay in my economy seat, there may be a mileage redeposit fee (understandable). But if I were to purchase the cash buy-up offer through my reservation (which shows I am able to select for both legs) then my mileage upgrade becomes a failed upgrade and miles will be returned (albeit after travel) with no redeposit fee along with the $75.00 (miles + co-pay)?

Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by c172rspilot
if I were to purchase the cash buy-up offer through my reservation (which shows I am able to select for both legs) then my mileage upgrade becomes a failed upgrade and miles will be returned (albeit after travel) with no redeposit fee along with the $75.00 (miles + co-pay)?
yes, though it may mess up your reservation such that you are unable to check-in online without calling to have the reservation cleaned up.

This just happened to me with an RPU waitlisted flight that I upfared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.