Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

I've been Global Services for 5 years and I'm looking elsewhere. Anyone else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I've been Global Services for 5 years and I'm looking elsewhere. Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:37 am
Original Poster

@spin88 -- What a beast-mode response. Thank you for such a thoughtful reply that takes into account all the circumstances. Yeah, if I switch to DL, I am not (even a little bit) looking forward to some kind of "no status" re-earning period. Yuckity yuck.

And you nailed it. I originally earned GS 5 years ago in SFO. I don't really live there anymore, but just kind of went through the motions of staying on UA routing because of the GS.

@Terence.Hill It's really nice to hear your experiences. I see some folks replying here are a little bit newer to GS, and I totally get how it is better than 1K. In some ways, psychologically, it would be better if I never experienced 'the better way.' Now that things aren't as nice as they used to be, I'm kind of meh on the whole airline. I recognize that is not entirely rational, but such is the human condition.

I'll be sure to circle back and let you know what I decide.

My strong leaning at this moment is to drop UA. I'm kind of a tossup between trying out DL versus just being loyal to my credit cards (and no airline). I agree that I'll give up some serious IRROPs benefits, but I sense that the fully-loaded outcome will be a net savings of time. Sure, I'll get f'd on a couple IRROPS. But, my baseline flights will end up saving ~5 hours (each way) not connecting through SFO on most flights in and out of the country. I sense that I'll come out ahead on the only currency I care about: time.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion
While I have many misgivings about United (EWR lounge situation, surly steward that dumped my entree on my lap, irrops), I still really appreciate GS. To me, GS means I can get home. The service center as well as airport staff work very hard to protect me on flights and occasionally use compensation to help get me on flights. I’m less focused on the upgrades, but the service has certainly helped me make innumerable bedtime storytimes with my kids, and that makes it worth it.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by nauce
@spin88 Yeah, if I switch to DL, I am not (even a little bit) looking forward to some kind of "no status" re-earning period. Yuckity yuck.
I move away w/o a challenge, but since I was flying mostly paid F on long flights (starting in 2012) when I flew DL, and then started to also fly VX, it was not such a big deal. I was also not ready to commit to a single airline (ex-SFO, and given where I went, flying DL+VX and some UA made more sense than trying to just fly DL).

But given where you are, I would (1) check out Delta360, its not a program I know much about, and I am unlikely to every fly DL enough to qualify (given that I have no direct overseas service on DL ex-SFO), but you can find some information the DL forum, and (2) consider a status match to DL. I think they only match up to Platnium, but even at this lowly level, I have found the service to be quite good, and if you are buying J anyway, then its not such an issue.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:00 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
As you are SEA-based, I'd think continuing on w/UA is a definite opportunity cost on your side. That comes in the form of always connecting somewhere en route, in addition to your other issues (which are valid).

DL is one option but I'd propose you another, based on your CC and travel situation: Alaska and American Express.

Get the American Express Plat (or Centurion) card and put all your travel $$ on there, at 5X earning potential. That will build you up serious coin on the points department, which are usable many places.

And focus on building up a relationship with Alaska Airlines. Their partnerships will be a good fit for your travel profile - British Airways, Korean, KLM, Air France, PLUS Emirates. It won't do you any good on the DL-operated domestic flights you'll probably find most convenient, but you could also try to route on Alaska flights for some of those. AS isn't amazing, but it's decent and it's reliable, and some of the friendliest people in the business.

A "top tier" status on AS isn't worth much, but the value of their mileage program is quite good. Paid business class earns 250% on BA. I'd suggest to you one way to maximize your paid $$ on BA would be to book in F via their BA.com site and book a Flight+Hotel package. You may find that F prices there are equivalent to a paid J rate, in my experience. Do that and you'll earn a crazy 350% for your BA flights, credited to AS. For each SEA-LHR roundtrip in F that's 33,600 miles right there. That plus the 5X multiplier on American Express for the fare would have you sitting on a nice pile of very usable miles every year.

The reason I'd suggest that over DL, which arguably will have more nonstop options for you, is simply that SkyMiles is really quite a dreadful program. My opinion, of course. I also really, really, REALLY dislike DL's 767 business class and out of SEA there's plenty of it on offer. Their A330 is nicer, though.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:20 am
Original Poster

@dll -- Super interesting. Will check that out as well. I think what first confused me about Alaska is that you cannot (easily?) book flights on partners directly from their site. I'm used to united, where I just search the route, and codeshare flights just pop-up.

(Example, I can't even type in "Moscow" as a destination on AlaskaAir.com..)

But, I think if I can hack together the routes, it might work!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
@dll -- Super interesting. Will check that out as well. I think what first confused me about Alaska is that you cannot (easily?) book flights on partners directly from their site. I'm used to united, where I just search the route, and codeshare flights just pop-up.

I did not suggest AS - which I agree is a very good program - because they have no "GPU" like instrument. There are no upgrades available on AS partners, and AS does not have any overseas flights. It seems from your post that being able to "take the family" in J - with either reward tickets or upgraded Y - was a key benefit, and AS does not offer that so easily.

When I was GS I would get one/two sets of tickets/year with miles in J, and then would "upgrade" everyone to J from Y once a year using SWUs. That second option is not available via AS.

So while AS miles are worth more than DL miles, DL gives some useful beanies that can be used for personal travel.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:43 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond

That's true for many of their partners, yes - but their call center team is, frankly, amazing. I don't mind having to call them to book!

You can book some partners online including BA and Emirates (usually/kind of/sometimes), and maybe some others. Most partners require a call in...I confirm the award availability for what I want then phone them to secure it.

You need to be sure you've selected "use miles" on their site for international destinations to show up. I just dummy booked a SEA-Moscow flight on BA. Do note, as always w/BA, that they charge hefty award surcharges (in the realm of $1,100 or more roundtrip for premium cabins!).
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike2003242
Amen on that! EWR needs to get their act together on their lounge. Thank God for classified and open gate areas!! Other clubs can be get crowded but are at least better than the gate area.
Agree EWR and possibly SFO (now during construction) are though. Other locations are easier. My personal favorite is now LAX.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
MM status on UA is better than on DL (and AS has no such program that I know of) but I would not trust UA to not cut the benefits, like they did with the old 2MM benefits. Anyone who thinks UA's current management will not rip them off given the change, and will not break every promise, well good luck with that.
AS very much does has a MM program (MVP for 1MM, not sure for 2MM)
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by spin88
This is the heart of it. You are flying United at an outstation, and if you are GS, self evidently are connecting in SFO or EWR. SFO is a weather pit, and as you have noted the lounges are crowded and not so great to begain with (both the Centurion Lounge and the DL SkyClub are heads and tails above any UC at SFO) and is 4 hours out of the way, and EWR is just a CS pit. Only a masochist would fly UA metal ex-SEA. If you were crediting to UA and flying ANA and LH (to Russia and Eastern Europe) I would think it was not a bad deal, but unless you are doing this, and still getting $50K+ on UA metal, you are either (a) doing a long flight to EWR in the gross monstrosity called the UA 737-900ER, or (b) connecting in SFO. All I Can say is yuck.

Agree, though SEA GS is seriously one of a kind. Incredible culture of service, know many of the frequent GS on a first name basis, go out of their way to accommodate. I have better GS treatment in SEA than any other airport - - certainly the hubs.

It doesn't address the issue of having to connect, but I suspect many long time SEA GS have been retained because of the wonderful team there.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
I'm confused by all these posts about no longer being able to upgrade award tickets the GS issues for other people. Where is this coming from? Are there first hand experiences, or is the OP's post (which was full of inaccuracies) just being repeated?

I just called GS, did a T->XN conversion for LAX-ORD, applied a RPU (waitlisted for PN), for another person. I am not on the reservation.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jgsx
I'm confused by all these posts about no longer being able to upgrade award tickets the GS issues for other people. Where is this coming from? Are there first hand experiences, or is the OP's post (which was full of inaccuracies) just being repeated?

I just called GS, did a T->XN conversion for LAX-ORD, applied a RPU (waitlisted for PN), for another person. I am not on the reservation.
Not sure. You can still do what you describe so long as the miles and upgrade instrument come from a GS account.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by boat9781
Not sure. You can still do what you describe so long as the miles and upgrade instrument come from a GS account.
Ok, so absolutely nothing changed. So interesting how false rumors spread.

CPUs for non GS traveling without the GS went away with inherited status, and that was a good thing.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can confirm, that nothing changed in the szenario you describe.

Btw, just noticed "GS+" on your handle. is "+" a new level within the the GS program?
Don't wanna spread any rumors ......
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jgsx
CPUs for non GS traveling without the GS went away with inherited status, and that was a good thing.
Agree to disagree on that one! Even though it was a bug, was a great family perk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.