Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

I've been Global Services for 5 years and I'm looking elsewhere. Anyone else?

I've been Global Services for 5 years and I'm looking elsewhere. Anyone else?

Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:50 pm

What's this about loss of GS line? I call the GS line all the time, and it's definitely a dedicated group of GS agents.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Bastian didn't say Delta is done with free upgrades. Continuing the interview:

Quotes from someone who actually watched the talk --

Ed: "we are selling upgrades but we monitor that to make certain that there is a line we dont cross...it's a line we carefully watch between free and paid..."
Moderator: "and you do want really loyal Delta flyers to get up front for free sometimes..."
Ed: "Absolutely..absolutely....and thats an important part...and I agree with you that is actually one of the best benefits of the loyalty program..."

That's really no change from the long-standing policy to sell F/J cabins, with generally the same goal as UA.

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread
It serves to demonstrate the similarities (between United, Delta and for that matter, AA, as you pointed out). The things you cannot escape from. Upgrades are not assured as an elite benefit.

Sorry if I made it appear Delta was getting rid of free upgrades. That wasn't my intent. I'll look at my post and edit appropriately. Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I'd put all that airfare money on a Amex Platinum to essentially get 5% back or transfer to partners.

If flying F/J all the typical perks of status come with those tickets anyway.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by tfjim
Buy an AA Airpass get CK.
Significantly cheaper per flight than PassPlus and CK at $50,000. On all levels you can purchase a ticket out of your account for a companion and for a comment of $20,000 or more one card holder for each $10,000 annual commitment.

Only on AA metal and with AirPass fares whereas PassPlus will let you spend on any United fare and any LH, ANA, LX, SN; AG sans nominal PassPlus discount.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:48 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hertz PC
I have found myself in a somewhat similar position starting this year. I was already a MM flyer on United but now 99% of my travel is booked up front. I also don't feel that valued as a 1K (hoping to make GS this year with ~$40-50K in spend). With that said, there are exactly two things that keep me (mostly) tied to United:

1) My wife getting my status due to my MM. This is priceless to me when she travels alone and I can't even imagine how important it will be to me if/when she travels alone with a kid.

2) The GPUs. My sister lives in London and the ability to have her in business 75%+ of the time when she comes home to see family gets me off the hook birthday and Christmas gift crunch time.

I have a paltry CC-spend compared to you ~$20K/month but I keep most of that on a United Card that gives me the choices option which basically offsets my annual out-of-pocket for personal revenue tickets.

That's just me though. Being based in Chicago the ability to remove friction from my family's travel is worth me dealing with United. I'm 33 years old and have been in MP since I was 2 so, at this point, I also have a decent runway to probably 3MM miles if my work stays the same. The lifetime stuff that they haven't stripped away yet remains an effective carrot to keep me loyal.

All IMO, obviously.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
What's this about loss of GS line? I call the GS line all the time, and it's definitely a dedicated group of GS agents.
They have been combined with the 1K line so they are serving both.

And I can say I do appreciate the service, have yet to have an issue this year.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
It is a priority answering line with, compared to the past unheard of wait times on occasion and depending on time of day agent quality can vary quite significantly
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by In The 216
I would add an echo to those above me that if you're spending $50K to $90K and book J and/or F tickets exclusively, who cares about loyalty?
In defence of the OP, I understand where he/she is coming from.

I once spent $40K on flights and I can tell you that I did care about loyalty. It makes a world of difference if your traveling a lot.

If I spread that money to 4 different airlines then I wouldn't expect much but if I spend it at one airline I expect something in return.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
1st year as GS and I have appreciate greatly the enhanced service. The ability to open saver award space for the Mrs and then upgrade is worth it's weight in gold.. including the ability to open an award seat in same cabin as my paid ticket is hugely advantageous. Annie in BOS :-:!

On the negative side, I have experienced twice the very real need for the MB and it wasn't there.. including a delayed arrival into EWR and no GS rep to help... that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Having been 1K several times since '97... there is a huge difference in handling for 1K to GS. But for $50K+ annual spend it should be.

Several years ago I made a conscientious decision to consolidate all my travel on UA. Through the many downs and the few ups. If I was in OP's shoes, and had the ability to predictable spend that kind of money F/J.. then why worry about loyalty programs? You get the loyalty through $ spent on the seat in F...

Last edited by NH_Clark; Oct 6, 2017 at 9:01 am
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
If he's flying out of the 60-69 gates at SFO, I'd agree it's a nicer experience than the lounge, but those gates are the exception, not the rule. They should be the model for gates everywhere, in my opinion. But, UA would sell a lot fewer United Club memberships if that were the case.
What?????? I use the UA near the 60's at least a couple of times a week - sometimes more, I've never found that UC crowded at any time I go.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Correct - I just asked a GS agent just to see if anything had changed and as you say it's still a dedicated department.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
What?????? I use the UA near the 60's at least a couple of times a week - sometimes more, I've never found that UC crowded at any time I go.
Not saying the UC club there is crowded, but that the gate area is exceptional. Tons of power outlets, really nice seating, lots of tables set up for laptops, good places to eat. That could be the reason the UC isn't crowded.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by AugustusM
They have been combined with the 1K line so they are serving both.

And I can say I do appreciate the service, have yet to have an issue this year.
I don't think that's true at all. Is this documented somewhere? I called the other day, arond 3am when nobody is around. I got disconnected and called back. she said there were only like 15 agents working GS, and she's send an IM to all of them to see who helped me and get the same person back on the line. She said sometimes it goes to overflow if there's too many calls, but it definitely sounded like there was a dedicated GS line with agents in a specific office just for GS. 5 mins later, the prior agent called me back and said she got the message from the other agent. I don' think that would be remotely possible if it was merged with the 1k line where there are hundreds working at any given time (or more?)
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Excepting a couple of times where ultra tight connection and no GS agent and no MB, my 2 yrs experience with GS has been outstanding.

No wait time when calling. Flexibility to bend rules. Upgrades on reward tickets. Wife gets upgrade to F (due to MM). Never an issue finding overhead bin space. Nice bottles of wine at the holidays last year to my home. GS check-in in SFO + EWR + ORD has saved me a bunch of time.

Where UA is cheap is not allowing GS to access Polaris lounge without international J ticket. And, many times at ORD where only one of the MB is in use and the other is parked near the B to F concourse connector. (Seriously, why have 2 MB if you're not going to use BOTH of them all the time?)
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
I don't think that's true at all. Is this documented somewhere?
I had two separate 1K agents tell me they work both lines and that they 'used to be' primarily GS agents. Is this anecdotal hearsay? Yes. But I don't know why they would tell me that if it weren't true.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.