Refuse an Upgrade?

Old Oct 4, 17, 1:21 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Posts: 5,895
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post

On domestic I would often give my seat to a uniformed military personnel but these days UA has some rule that I cannot give away the UG seat (if I do not want the seat it needs to go to the next person on the list)
How does this differ from swapping with your spouse if only one of you gets upgraded? Limiting it to swaps with someone on the same PNR doesn't even work because of the auto-splitting that occurs.
drewguy is offline  
Old Oct 4, 17, 2:23 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SAN
Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Posts: 2,453
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
How does this differ from swapping with your spouse if only one of you gets upgraded? Limiting it to swaps with someone on the same PNR doesn't even work because of the auto-splitting that occurs.

I was informed the rule dies not apply for family members.
Aussienarelle is offline  
Old Oct 4, 17, 3:44 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,458
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
I was informed the rule dies not apply for family members.
How would they know if you're family members? I don't have the same last name as any of mine.
chavala is offline  
Old Oct 5, 17, 11:49 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: LAX
Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 434
737-9 refuse all the time of row 5 and I have exit row
Two Bee likes this.
Lani1 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 17, 12:44 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: RNO
Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
Posts: 7,586
Originally Posted by catbox9 View Post
Back when I was a 1K and back when I used to get a CPU almost every time, I realized that first class wasn't really all that exciting. I'd say the value for me is about $8 for the 1 drink I feel compelled to order, $10 for the food, and then another $5/1000 miles for the extra comfort. As they don't usually have upgrades in the $25-40 range it's not really worth it. I'd go an extra $200-300 for an overnight flight with a lie-flat seat but again they don't sell it that cheap so I don't buy it.
I once did a similar calculation, but I accounted for the extra space as follows: sq ft of an F seat/sq ft of a Y seat times avg Y fare is the extra fare that should be assessed for that larger seat.

For example, avg Y fare $300; E- seat is 31" pitch and 17.3" width on a 737; F is 38x21. This means E- is 3.72 sq ft and F is 5.54 sq ft (yes, E+ is in the middle, one can repeat the calculation for E+). 5.54/3.72*$300=$446, an extra $146. It's $74 more compared to E+. In any event, it's much more than $2 an hour.
Kevin AA is online now  
Old Oct 6, 17, 10:15 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: LAS
Programs: 3 MMer
Posts: 458
Originally Posted by Lani1 View Post
737-9 refuse all the time of row 5 and I have exit row
Yep, having someone's butt in my face, waiting to use the lav, for hours and NO RECLINE is pure torture!

+ I'll take 7A or 7F (even 21C or 21D) anytime over the front row on a 320! My legs need stretchin".
Two Bee is offline  
Old Oct 6, 17, 11:49 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Posts: 5,895
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
I once did a similar calculation, but I accounted for the extra space as follows: sq ft of an F seat/sq ft of a Y seat times avg Y fare is the extra fare that should be assessed for that larger seat.

For example, avg Y fare $300; E- seat is 31" pitch and 17.3" width on a 737; F is 38x21. This means E- is 3.72 sq ft and F is 5.54 sq ft (yes, E+ is in the middle, one can repeat the calculation for E+). 5.54/3.72*$300=$446, an extra $146. It's $74 more compared to E+. In any event, it's much more than $2 an hour.
You're comparing different things - PP's personal valuation vs. your cost based valuation. PP doesn't find the additional cost worth it, to him. YMMV of course.

On international I did something similar - the J seats basically take up about 4x the space of an E seat. Obviously prices vary based on demand/load, but I've seen the relative pricing of Y and J often be roughly this. Presumably the meals, liquor, and bedding come out of the savings on fuel costs for 1 pax vs. 4.
drewguy is offline  
Old Apr 10, 19, 9:33 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Programs: United Premier Platinum
Posts: 526
Removing a miles upgrade if you don't get the seat you want

I'm fairly new to United. About to take a full flight to TLV in Y was unable to get a window seat nor Economy Plus.
There is currently one window seat available in Premium Select, so I am thinking to waitlist myself for a PS mileage upgrade.
That being said, I only want the upgrade if the window seat stays available and no window seat in regular Y opens.

If the upgrade clears and those conditions are not met, will I be allowed to refuse the upgrade? Will this create a lot of stress/frustration on the part of the gate agents if it happens right before departure?
mcrw00 is offline  
Old Apr 10, 19, 10:22 am
  #39  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,645
Originally Posted by mcrw00 View Post
If the upgrade clears and those conditions are not met, will I be allowed to refuse the upgrade? Will this create a lot of stress/frustration on the part of the gate agents if it happens right before departure?
It's potentially problematic. They would be fully justified in (i) only allowing a downgrade back to Y if your original economy fare class is still available, and (ii) charging an award redeposit fee ($125 if you have no status) if you want your miles back. And yes, there's a good chance you would make the GAs unhappy.

Or they could do you a favor and it could be done no problem. But I would definitely not count on that.
Kacee is offline  
Old Apr 10, 19, 12:31 pm
  #40  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 13,707
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It's potentially problematic. They would be fully justified in (i) only allowing a downgrade back to Y if your original economy fare class is still available, and (ii) charging an award redeposit fee ($125 if you have no status) if you want your miles back. And yes, there's a good chance you would make the GAs unhappy.

Or they could do you a favor and it could be done no problem. But I would definitely not count on that.
Add to that, if they reassigned your window seat in Y, you could end up in a middle seat at the back of the plane.

If you want to be sure of a window seat, Id stay put.
ContinentalFan is offline  
Old Apr 10, 19, 2:13 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Posts: 53
The RPU will be credited back if LAX > EWR does not clear. I have had this happen a bunch when the significantly shorter leg clears but the long leg does not. Just like with domestic legs & GPUs when the international leg does not clear. Take the upgrade and smile (for a very few minutes).
LimeySD is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: