Refuse an Upgrade?

Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

On domestic I would often give my seat to a uniformed military personnel but these days UA has some rule that I cannot give away the UG seat (if I do not want the seat it needs to go to the next person on the list)
How does this differ from swapping with your spouse if only one of you gets upgraded? Limiting it to swaps with someone on the same PNR doesn't even work because of the auto-splitting that occurs.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by drewguy
How does this differ from swapping with your spouse if only one of you gets upgraded? Limiting it to swaps with someone on the same PNR doesn't even work because of the auto-splitting that occurs.

I was informed the rule dies not apply for family members.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I was informed the rule dies not apply for family members.
How would they know if you're family members? I don't have the same last name as any of mine.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
737-9 refuse all the time of row 5 and I have exit row
Two Bee likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by catbox9
Back when I was a 1K and back when I used to get a CPU almost every time, I realized that first class wasn't really all that exciting. I'd say the value for me is about $8 for the 1 drink I feel compelled to order, $10 for the food, and then another $5/1000 miles for the extra comfort. As they don't usually have upgrades in the $25-40 range it's not really worth it. I'd go an extra $200-300 for an overnight flight with a lie-flat seat but again they don't sell it that cheap so I don't buy it.
I once did a similar calculation, but I accounted for the extra space as follows: sq ft of an F seat/sq ft of a Y seat times avg Y fare is the extra fare that should be assessed for that larger seat.

For example, avg Y fare $300; E- seat is 31" pitch and 17.3" width on a 737; F is 38x21. This means E- is 3.72 sq ft and F is 5.54 sq ft (yes, E+ is in the middle, one can repeat the calculation for E+). 5.54/3.72*$300=$446, an extra $146. It's $74 more compared to E+. In any event, it's much more than $2 an hour.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by Lani1
737-9 refuse all the time of row 5 and I have exit row
Yep, having someone's butt in my face, waiting to use the lav, for hours and NO RECLINE is pure torture!

+ I'll take 7A or 7F (even 21C or 21D) anytime over the front row on a 320! My legs need stretchin".
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I once did a similar calculation, but I accounted for the extra space as follows: sq ft of an F seat/sq ft of a Y seat times avg Y fare is the extra fare that should be assessed for that larger seat.

For example, avg Y fare $300; E- seat is 31" pitch and 17.3" width on a 737; F is 38x21. This means E- is 3.72 sq ft and F is 5.54 sq ft (yes, E+ is in the middle, one can repeat the calculation for E+). 5.54/3.72*$300=$446, an extra $146. It's $74 more compared to E+. In any event, it's much more than $2 an hour.
You're comparing different things - PP's personal valuation vs. your cost based valuation. PP doesn't find the additional cost worth it, to him. YMMV of course.

On international I did something similar - the J seats basically take up about 4x the space of an E seat. Obviously prices vary based on demand/load, but I've seen the relative pricing of Y and J often be roughly this. Presumably the meals, liquor, and bedding come out of the savings on fuel costs for 1 pax vs. 4.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Removing a miles upgrade if you don't get the seat you want

I'm fairly new to United. About to take a full flight to TLV in Y was unable to get a window seat nor Economy Plus.
There is currently one window seat available in Premium Select, so I am thinking to waitlist myself for a PS mileage upgrade.
That being said, I only want the upgrade if the window seat stays available and no window seat in regular Y opens.

If the upgrade clears and those conditions are not met, will I be allowed to refuse the upgrade? Will this create a lot of stress/frustration on the part of the gate agents if it happens right before departure?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mcrw00
If the upgrade clears and those conditions are not met, will I be allowed to refuse the upgrade? Will this create a lot of stress/frustration on the part of the gate agents if it happens right before departure?
It's potentially problematic. They would be fully justified in (i) only allowing a downgrade back to Y if your original economy fare class is still available, and (ii) charging an award redeposit fee ($125 if you have no status) if you want your miles back. And yes, there's a good chance you would make the GAs unhappy.

Or they could do you a favor and it could be done no problem. But I would definitely not count on that.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's potentially problematic. They would be fully justified in (i) only allowing a downgrade back to Y if your original economy fare class is still available, and (ii) charging an award redeposit fee ($125 if you have no status) if you want your miles back. And yes, there's a good chance you would make the GAs unhappy.

Or they could do you a favor and it could be done no problem. But I would definitely not count on that.
Add to that, if they reassigned your window seat in Y, you could end up in a middle seat at the back of the plane.

If you want to be sure of a window seat, Id stay put.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
The RPU will be credited back if LAX > EWR does not clear. I have had this happen a bunch when the significantly shorter leg clears but the long leg does not. Just like with domestic legs & GPUs when the international leg does not clear. Take the upgrade and smile (for a very few minutes).
Old Jun 14, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Flying SFO-AMS. I had bulkhead window E+ and I hear my name paged at the gate. I try to talk to agent but she said my name wasn't paged (her pronunciation of my name was pretty bad).

I'm now in seat 21E (premium plus). Not sure this is an upgrade as there's not even room to get up without disturbing someone and I no longer have a window to sleep on. I wasn't able to talk to an agent because she insisted she didn't call my name.

When I boarded the plane with the wrong ticket nothing even notified me that my seat changed which was a bit odd as well. If not for the app I would've never known until someone else came to my old seat.

Would it have been possible to turn this upgrade down? Flight sold out so not really a way to get that seat back, but I'm not sure I'd ever pay extra for this seat as to me it's a big downgrade.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would it have been possible to turn this upgrade down? Flight sold out so not really a way to get that seat back, but I'm not sure I'd ever pay extra for this seat as to me it's a big downgrade.
Turn down the upgrade? Yes, certainly.

Turn down the upgrade and get your old seat assignment back? That could be tougher.

By the time she paged you, the agent had probably put someone else into your seat.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
Turn down the upgrade? Yes, certainly.

Turn down the upgrade and get your old seat assignment back? That could be tougher.

By the time she paged you, the agent had probably put someone else into your seat.
Kind of what I figured. I mean I can't really complain because I requested this upgrade (and business). Moving here moved me from #10 to #1 on the business upgrade list which I didn't expect. It's checked in full so I'm not holding my breath there.

Not sure what to think about premium plus. It's marginally better than E+ but the best E+ seat is almost certainly better than the worst premium plus seat and that makes it a tough sell to me. I've flown these cabin quite a few times and I've never really felt like I was treated like a premium passenger.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kind of what I figured. I mean I can't really complain because I requested this upgrade (and business). Moving here moved me from #10 to #1 on the business upgrade list which I didn't expect. It's checked in full so I'm not holding my breath there.
That display is not to be trusted. You're not supposed to have jumped up, and there's a good chance you didn't. Sadly, for three-class planes, it seems that the list doesn't match what the computer actually does.

It'd be nice if the agent had called you up to let you know that the only available seat was an aisle and asked if you wanted it. Unfortunately, not all agents will do that, as you discovered.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.