FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Refuse an Upgrade? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1870131-refuse-upgrade.html)

drewguy Oct 4, 17 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 28893460)

On domestic I would often give my seat to a uniformed military personnel but these days UA has some rule that I cannot give away the UG seat (if I do not want the seat it needs to go to the next person on the list)

How does this differ from swapping with your spouse if only one of you gets upgraded? Limiting it to swaps with someone on the same PNR doesn't even work because of the auto-splitting that occurs.

Aussienarelle Oct 4, 17 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 28893980)
How does this differ from swapping with your spouse if only one of you gets upgraded? Limiting it to swaps with someone on the same PNR doesn't even work because of the auto-splitting that occurs.

I was informed the rule dies not apply for family members.

chavala Oct 4, 17 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 28894192)
I was informed the rule dies not apply for family members.

How would they know if you're family members? I don't have the same last name as any of mine.

Lani1 Oct 6, 17 12:49 am

737-9 refuse all the time of row 5 and I have exit row

Kevin AA Oct 6, 17 1:44 am

Originally Posted by catbox9 (Post 28890227)
Back when I was a 1K and back when I used to get a CPU almost every time, I realized that first class wasn't really all that exciting. I'd say the value for me is about $8 for the 1 drink I feel compelled to order, $10 for the food, and then another $5/1000 miles for the extra comfort. As they don't usually have upgrades in the $25-40 range it's not really worth it. I'd go an extra $200-300 for an overnight flight with a lie-flat seat but again they don't sell it that cheap so I don't buy it.

I once did a similar calculation, but I accounted for the extra space as follows: sq ft of an F seat/sq ft of a Y seat times avg Y fare is the extra fare that should be assessed for that larger seat.

For example, avg Y fare $300; E- seat is 31" pitch and 17.3" width on a 737; F is 38x21. This means E- is 3.72 sq ft and F is 5.54 sq ft (yes, E+ is in the middle, one can repeat the calculation for E+). 5.54/3.72*$300=$446, an extra $146. It's $74 more compared to E+. In any event, it's much more than $2 an hour.

Two Bee Oct 6, 17 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Lani1 (Post 28899377)
737-9 refuse all the time of row 5 and I have exit row

Yep, having someone's butt in my face, waiting to use the lav, for hours and NO RECLINE is pure torture!

+ I'll take 7A or 7F (even 21C or 21D) anytime over the front row on a 320! My legs need stretchin".

drewguy Oct 6, 17 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA (Post 28899469)
I once did a similar calculation, but I accounted for the extra space as follows: sq ft of an F seat/sq ft of a Y seat times avg Y fare is the extra fare that should be assessed for that larger seat.

For example, avg Y fare $300; E- seat is 31" pitch and 17.3" width on a 737; F is 38x21. This means E- is 3.72 sq ft and F is 5.54 sq ft (yes, E+ is in the middle, one can repeat the calculation for E+). 5.54/3.72*$300=$446, an extra $146. It's $74 more compared to E+. In any event, it's much more than $2 an hour.

You're comparing different things - PP's personal valuation vs. your cost based valuation. PP doesn't find the additional cost worth it, to him. YMMV of course.

On international I did something similar - the J seats basically take up about 4x the space of an E seat. Obviously prices vary based on demand/load, but I've seen the relative pricing of Y and J often be roughly this. Presumably the meals, liquor, and bedding come out of the savings on fuel costs for 1 pax vs. 4.

mcrw00 Apr 10, 19 10:33 am

Removing a miles upgrade if you don't get the seat you want

I'm fairly new to United. About to take a full flight to TLV in Y was unable to get a window seat nor Economy Plus.
There is currently one window seat available in Premium Select, so I am thinking to waitlist myself for a PS mileage upgrade.
That being said, I only want the upgrade if the window seat stays available and no window seat in regular Y opens.

If the upgrade clears and those conditions are not met, will I be allowed to refuse the upgrade? Will this create a lot of stress/frustration on the part of the gate agents if it happens right before departure?

Kacee Apr 10, 19 11:22 am

Originally Posted by mcrw00 (Post 30985526)
If the upgrade clears and those conditions are not met, will I be allowed to refuse the upgrade? Will this create a lot of stress/frustration on the part of the gate agents if it happens right before departure?

It's potentially problematic. They would be fully justified in (i) only allowing a downgrade back to Y if your original economy fare class is still available, and (ii) charging an award redeposit fee ($125 if you have no status) if you want your miles back. And yes, there's a good chance you would make the GAs unhappy.

Or they could do you a favor and it could be done no problem. But I would definitely not count on that.

ContinentalFan Apr 10, 19 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30985675)
It's potentially problematic. They would be fully justified in (i) only allowing a downgrade back to Y if your original economy fare class is still available, and (ii) charging an award redeposit fee ($125 if you have no status) if you want your miles back. And yes, there's a good chance you would make the GAs unhappy.

Or they could do you a favor and it could be done no problem. But I would definitely not count on that.

Add to that, if they reassigned your window seat in Y, you could end up in a middle seat at the back of the plane.

If you want to be sure of a window seat, Id stay put.

LimeySD Apr 10, 19 3:13 pm

The RPU will be credited back if LAX > EWR does not clear. I have had this happen a bunch when the significantly shorter leg clears but the long leg does not. Just like with domestic legs & GPUs when the international leg does not clear. Take the upgrade and smile (for a very few minutes).