FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Refuse an Upgrade? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1870131-refuse-upgrade.html)

WineCountryUA Oct 3, 2017 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by catbox9 (Post 28889731)
.... EDIT: I just checked and I can buy these exact flights from United right now for $503/person in first. Why would I pay more than that to upgrade it rather than just buy them from scratch if I wanted first that bad?

Look to see what a "change flight" offer is, many times it is cheaper than the offer UA provides in My Reservations.

To get the change fee waived, you will have to call and if the fee is not automatically waived, mention "GG BUY UP"

Since you are on a common PNR, you will not be upgraded separately until the gate if you wait to checkin till you get to the airport. And then at the gate, tell the GA it is one or all.

catbox9 Oct 3, 2017 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 28889969)
Look to see what a "change flight" offer is, many times it is cheaper than the offer UA provides in My Reservations.

To get the change fee waived, you will have to call and if the fee is not automatically waived, mention "GG BUY UP"

For fun I tried to do that but I can't get a routing even close to the one I already have and for some reason it tells me there is no first class seats on any route and the best they can do is Coach (P). I thought a P fare was a premium cabin :confused:

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 28889969)
Since you are on a common PNR, you will not be upgraded separately until the gate if you wait to checkin till you get to the airport. And then at the gate, tell the GA it is one or all.

That's good to know. I had no idea it worked that way ^

WineCountryUA Oct 3, 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by catbox9 (Post 28890024)
For fun I tried to do that but I can't get a routing even close to the one I already have and for some reason it tells me there is no first class seats on any route and the best they can do is Coach (P). I thought a P fare was a premium cabin :confused: ....

Ignore the message, this is really First (P)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...available.html

catbox9 Oct 3, 2017 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 28890054)
Ignore the message, this is really First (P)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...available.html

So in that case the change would be $336 per person which is as you predicted much cheaper. For whatever reason I still can't manage to change to my original routing and would instead connect in Denver.

Either way it doesn't really matter as first class isn't worth $336 to me and I definitely don't want to pay for it for both my companion and myself, especially since we're flying a far superior first class home which should be sufficient to allow a novice flyer to at least sort of experience a premium cabin.

findark Oct 3, 2017 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by catbox9 (Post 28890115)
So in that case the change would be $336 per person which is as you predicted much cheaper. For whatever reason I still can't manage to change to my original routing and would instead connect in Denver.

Either way it doesn't really matter as first class isn't worth $336 to me and I definitely don't want to pay for it for both my companion and myself, especially since we're flying a far superior first class home which should be sufficient to allow a novice flyer to at least sort of experience a premium cabin.

You can, at any time, be reticketed in the higher cabin (same flights) for the cost of a new ticket today, less what you paid for your current tickets. This should be pretty easy to calculate. But if not worth the likely ~$300 pp, then you won't see much better.

catbox9 Oct 3, 2017 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 28890179)
But if not worth the likely ~$300 pp, then you won't see much better.

Back when I was a 1K and back when I used to get a CPU almost every time, I realized that first class wasn't really all that exciting. I'd say the value for me is about $8 for the 1 drink I feel compelled to order, $10 for the food, and then another $5/1000 miles for the extra comfort. As they don't usually have upgrades in the $25-40 range it's not really worth it. I'd go an extra $200-300 for an overnight flight with a lie-flat seat but again they don't sell it that cheap so I don't buy it.

frankmu Oct 3, 2017 7:31 pm

Keep an eye out on your PNR, and make sure it doesn't get split. My wife and I were on the same PNR this weekend, but got split when we checked in on our return flight (SFO-EUG). We did not ask for the split.

She was first in line for the upgrade, me second. We were in Row 7 on a A319, and we both declined the upgrade to 1B. The GA came onboard with my wife's new boarding pass. The third person (only 3 on the upgrade list) got the nod, and was happy to take the seat. Probably a silver, since her seat (immediately behind us) filled 24 hours out.

Two Bee Oct 3, 2017 10:28 pm

Yes, you can refuse an upgrade, but better do it before it goes thru. To my knowledge you can't move back unless your original fare purchased is available in the rear.

Unless things have changed?

WineCountryUA Oct 3, 2017 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Two Bee (Post 28891346)
Yes, you can refuse an upgrade, but better do it before it goes thru. To my knowledge you can't move back unless your original fare purchased is available in the rear.

Unless things have changed?

True requirement up til the gate. At the gate, not required. Plus most fare classes are opened up by 3 hours prior to departure for most flights except those nearly oversold.

mduell Oct 3, 2017 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by catbox9 (Post 28889731)
Of course I could always buy up to first right now for $709/person with 6 seats available on each segment :rolleyes: When I originally bought these tickets a week or so ago I could have paid less than $709/person in first so I'm not sure why they think I would pay that now (plus the original cost of the E tickets).

OPMers.

Originally Posted by catbox9 (Post 28890227)
and then another $5/1000 miles for the extra comfort

$2/hr lol

dvs7310 Oct 3, 2017 11:11 pm

I've certainly refused upgrades, it's quite easy at the gate, more hit or miss if one clears before the day of the flight and the other doesn't and you're calling in to try to get your original seat reinstated. (I had the same refused upgrade re-clear 2 more times once during the window, finally got someone on the Premier Line who just upgraded my companion as well since there was R but the PNR was split earlier in the trip and she agreed that if it hadn't have split then we'd have both been upgraded together, this was well before the split PNR issue was fixed).

In my most recent case there were 2 seats available and my wife and I were #1 & #2 on the gate list but the seats were not together so I told the gate agent we didn't want them. She said no problem, took us off the list and gave it to an older couple who were #3 & #4 . They seemed quite happy to get them and didn't mind being split up for the flight.

txaggiemiles Oct 4, 2017 6:12 am

Originally Posted by catbox9 (Post 28890227)
Back when I was a 1K and back when I used to get a CPU almost every time, I realized that first class wasn't really all that exciting. I'd say the value for me is about $8 for the 1 drink I feel compelled to order, $10 for the food, and then another $5/1000 miles for the extra comfort. As they don't usually have upgrades in the $25-40 range it's not really worth it. I'd go an extra $200-300 for an overnight flight with a lie-flat seat but again they don't sell it that cheap so I don't buy it.

ok, then why spend a whole day and multiple posts figuring out how to sit there? 🙄

catbox9 Oct 4, 2017 6:44 am

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles (Post 28892198)
ok, then why spend a whole day and multiple posts figuring out how to sit there? 🙄

Just because I don't find it worth a whole lot extra, people that have only been on a plane a couple times find it quite enjoyable. If I'm traveling by myself sure, I'll take an upgrade on a domestic flight but it's not that big of a deal either way.

Aussienarelle Oct 4, 2017 11:21 am

Originally Posted by catbox9 (Post 28892276)
Just because I don't find it worth a whole lot extra, people that have only been on a plane a couple times find it quite enjoyable. If I'm traveling by myself sure, I'll take an upgrade on a domestic flight but it's not that big of a deal either way.

+1!

However, do not mess with my international upgrades.

On domestic I would often give my seat to a uniformed military personnel but these days UA has some rule that I cannot give away the UG seat (if I do not want the seat it needs to go to the next person on the list), but I can still do it when I have purchased the domestic first class seat (I verified this with the GA on my last flight). The young wo/man in uniform would always get a thrill (although I did not let them know it was me as it was a surprise from the GA) and I think it was the least I could do to thank them for their service so now these acts are fewer as I needed to have purchased the seat.

AceReport Oct 4, 2017 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 28893460)
+1!

However, do not mess with my international upgrades.

On domestic I would often give my seat to a uniformed military personnel but these days UA has some rule that I cannot give away the UG seat (if I do not want the seat it needs to go to the next person on the list), but I can still do it when I have purchased the domestic first class seat (I verified this with the GA on my last flight). The young wo/man in uniform would always get a thrill (although I did not let them know it was me as it was a surprise from the GA) and I think it was the least I could do to thank them for their service so now these acts are fewer as I needed to have purchased the seat.

The rule is very selectively enforced. I gave mine away this morning.