Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Grant 2018 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA Grant 2018 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blink188
Towards the end of the year, i am only short on 23 miles to be Gold. I am currently silver.

Anyone can advise if there is something I can do???
I will have more flights for sure, but not this year.

Thanks
If "towards the end of the year" includes future travel, you may be able to do a same-day confirmed change for $75 to get a longer routing. Or, if there happens to be a weather waiver or delay that impacts your itinerary, you may be able to get that same change for free.

If all of your travel for the year is already complete, I concur with the other suggestions in this thread.
Aussienarelle and blink188 like this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I already booked a long haul and i am short after ill do it in December ( So money was already spent here...

How many flights do you have left in the year?

You may be able to do a Same Day Change ($75 for you I think) to get the extra miles.

Check through your remaining flights and see which are more flexible where you could take a longer routing.

EDIT: Yeah, do what jsloan said if you can
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:13 am

Thank you so much everyone!!! got some options on my plate now
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I don't pay for my flights, my employer does
The last I checked, UA doesn't restrict people from buying tickets out of their own pocket.

(Sorry....couldn't resist! )

If you decide not to work in a quick hop and take your chances, please come back in January and let us know if UA showed you mercy. The data is very helpful, even when taken with the grain of salt that what UA does one year is no guarantee of what they'll do the next year.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SS255
... The data is very helpful, even when taken with the grain of salt that what UA does one year is no guarantee of what they'll do the next year.
Yeah, is it really that helpful? It is interesting to hear, however unless UA starts doing it before the end of the year and/or consistently, like extending GPUs, you're still taking a pretty big risk even if you are 1 PQM short.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by cfischer
so you need 18k PQM, that's a lot. 9k in premium cabin on NZ is an option, or 18k BIS in a full earning class in coach. Use ITA to look for options would be my best idea.

Fortunately, I have an Australian address, so I am looking for the CHEAPEST flight to obtain 18K points... the ideas are limitless
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Does anyone know how close the PQD for 1k United and or Chase adhere? For example, if I fly 100k but my spend is less than $12k - maybe $11k or $11.5, will they really not give me 1k status?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TopRightCorner
Does anyone know how close the PQD for 1k United and or Chase adhere? For example, if I fly 100k but my spend is less than $12k - maybe $11k or $11.5, will they really not give me 1k status?
If you have less than $12K PQD, you should assume Platinum. UA may offer you an opportunity to buy-up to 1K, but it won't be cheap.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by TopRightCorner
Falling $1,000 or $500 short of the published minimum is more than just a rounding error. It sucks, but that's how it is. I suggest you find a way to squeeze in one more trip before the end of the year if 1K is important to you.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
My calculations put me at $12.2k PQD and 99960 PQM for the end of the year. 2017 is year 3 of 1K for me. Last year was 136k PQM and $28k PQD.

I'm not doing much biz travel anymore, hence the substantial decrease.

The question is, do I need to add a leg to one of my upcoming trips (e.g. SFO-LAX-IAH instead of SFO-IAH)? It'll probably add 3-4 hours of time to the trip, but that's worth it for 6 GPUs. Unless, of course, UA won't begrudge me the 40 miles.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bigwings8
.... The question is, do I need to add a leg to one of my upcoming trips (e.g. SFO-LAX-IAH instead of SFO-IAH)? It'll probably add 3-4 hours of time to the trip, but that's worth it for 6 GPUs. Unless, of course, UA won't begrudge me the 40 miles.
No one here can give you a definitive answer, the question is do you want to spin the wheel of chance? The other option is to take the chance and if it does work out, not all is lost, if you are willing to fork over the money for January buy-up (believe
the min buy for 1K has run about $1,000.)
Use SDC to add a less direct routing or purchase Premier Accellerator (may be pricy also)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 19, 2017 at 11:49 pm
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: 3 MMer
I mentioned this before, but I feel it's worth repeating. About 18 years ago I was about a thousand miles short of 1K and wrote in. No reply after a month or so, so I called, and this is what I heard, "These people work hard for that status and we don't give it out to anyone, unless you fly the proper amount of miles!"

I got the picture and qualified the hard way ever since. There will be posters telling you how they smooched their way into a level that they didn't deserve. But as W/C mentions, "Do you feel lucky?"
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
Close but not quite only happened to me once - last year. I was 182 miles short of 1K so I called up in mid December and asked. I was honest and told them I could do a very short run, but that I'd prefer not to do so, if possible. My PQD was very low - but not relevant as I am based out of the US. The IK desk told me that I had already been considered approved for the exception, just wait until the end of January to see it. I showed as soon to be downgraded to Plat on the United progress site. But sure enough, come 1 February I retained 1K.

It probably helped that I had about 30,000 miles in trips booked ahead for January.

Last edited by northpole999; Nov 20, 2017 at 5:49 am
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
As jsloan noted, there is no concrete pattern, but I have seen multiple reports of UA being willing to comp Premier Gold irrespective of PQM/PQS for members who have at least 12,000 PQD.
Way back when it was called Premier Exec they did that for me a few times unsolicited. At the time it was standard for all my business travel to be full fare refundable, and a couple years in a row I was well past premier, but well short of PE. Then some time in January I'd get a letter saying they'd comped me to PE.

Now I'm here to verify that the the buy a flight, buy some PQMs, then cancel the flight still works because it looks like I'm going to come up about 35 miles short of silver for the year, and buying some PQMs will be cheaper than buying an E+ subscription.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
The question here is really in the newish reality of PQD, how short you can be and how you can buy up, if that option even exists. All of the "buy up" literature that I've seen have been based around PQMs, which I'm flush with, just not dollars as I've taken long, economical flights :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.